DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Call to JVC - split screen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/50935-call-jvc-split-screen.html)

Jiri Bakala September 12th, 2005 09:27 AM

Call to JVC - split screen

As many of us are close to purchasing the camera, we are also concerned about the so called 'split screen' issue.

I am calling on JVC to respond to this forum and explain what they are doing to correct the problem to encourage its customers to purchase the camera.

Thank you.

Chris Hurd September 12th, 2005 02:44 PM

See Tim Dashwood's first post in this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=50773

Hope this helps,

Jiri Bakala September 12th, 2005 04:28 PM

Thanks Chris, I had read that.

I was more curious about the explanation for the fenomenon and JVC's plan (if they have any) for correcting it. Tim mentioned that he could still see the split at +18dB. We all agree that most of the time that much gain is not acceptable anyway but, and it's a big but, if the problem is still there and the manufacturer's response is to replace the faulty camera with another presenting the same problem to a lesser degree, that alarms me.

Just like for most professionals, a camera for me is a tool of daily use and I cannot accept the fact that if (and more likely it seems, when) there is a problem, I'd have to go looking for a service centre. I used to live in Toronto and that's peachey, you can get just about anything the same day. Now I am in central BC and it's 4.5 hrs to Vancouver and in my experience even in Vancouver many places don't have the means of either immediate replacement of faulty camera or repair on site. Obviously, my situation is not unique, there's gotta be many people dealing with similar scenarios.

I have been using Sony cameras for years and they didn't have these kinds of issues. I am more than willing and happy to give this JVC a chance, as I like just about everything about it's design and performance but this kind of system issue concerns me and I will need to hear a more affirmative response from JVC to bite the bullet. Sorry, but an answer "if there is a problem we'll replace the unit" doesn't quite cut it if the 'problem' affects just about every single camera out there!

Robert Castiglione September 12th, 2005 06:23 PM

split screen effect

Dear all,

I posted some time ago from Australia about my excitement at getting the camera and its resolution etc and that initially I could not see the split screen effect.

However, that was because I had been shooting outside and had not tested the camera in lower light conditions indoors.

The split screen effect is clearly visible indoors at low light conditions not only at 18db but even with no gain on at all! It is not just a minor issue - it is grossly visible in low light.

Re JVC attitude to the problem, the seller whom I have now contacted has told me that JVC does not acknowledge the existence of the problem at all. Luckily it can clearly be recorded to tape.

This was my first ever JVC purchase and I am looking for some direction and honesty from JVC.

Rob

Nate Weaver September 12th, 2005 06:37 PM

It appears all divisions of JVC consider the split being visible at 0db to be a defect.

Take it in, all evidence so far indicates they'll either fix it or give you a new one.

Jiri Bakala September 12th, 2005 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
It appears all divisions of JVC consider the split being visible at 0db to be a defect.

It's a defect even when it appears only at +18dB.

Barry Green September 12th, 2005 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
It's a defect even when it appears only at +18dB.

Apparently JVC corporate's stance does not agree; I think it was Tim Dashwood who said that JVC considers it a defect only if it's visible at +9dB or less.

Jiri Bakala September 12th, 2005 09:41 PM

...which is exactly why I am concerned. Aren't you?

Nate Weaver September 12th, 2005 09:50 PM

Not really. I own the camera. Jiri, have you spent time with the camera?

Shawn Alyasiri September 12th, 2005 10:07 PM

Nate - Can we assume your cam is all good - no problems? I noticed the split on mine unfortunately.

It's a bit of concern, but I've had good luck with JVC in the past. I've got another unit on the way shortly, plus the deck and the mini35. I've got $24K+ invested into the rigs, so I'm definitely 'optimistic'. I'm sure it will work out, especially if others are running into it.

It'd be good to know how many receive theirs without any problems as well.

Nate Weaver September 12th, 2005 11:02 PM

No, I have split screen at 9 or 12 and above. I'm just not that all torn up about it...I said it in another thread...9 or 12 looks so crappy anyway, I'm not so concerned about the addition of another aberration that most people wouldn't notice until pointed out.

I'll get to my point. It's very rare that a manufacturer will decide to comment publicly in a forum such as this. I would not get your hopes up that Ken Freed or anybody else will come in here and say anything but "Bring your camera to your dealer, we will deal with this one-on-one".

Forums like this can be great conduits of information, but they also are a mine-field. People love to argue on them, and if a manu comes on and tries to make somebody happy, there will always be somebody there to stir the pot.

My personal feeling are that a tool is a tool. They all have shortcomings. It is what it is. I'd rather spend my time honing my craft than wishing a camera is/was/should be/could be something that it's not. Sometimes I feel that if I spent as much time working directly on improving my photography skills as I did typing on this message board, I'd have a reel like Jeff Cronenweth!

Jiri Bakala September 12th, 2005 11:29 PM

Nate, my point is this:
I don't wish the camera to be what it's not - I just want to get a good quality product and what everybody here is describing sounds to me like a defect. And yes, you are probably right that JVC is unlikely to comment but given their reputation (not great) and the amazing opportunity to turn that around with this potentially fantastic camera, I'd hope that they would respond to the concerns and tell their customer base that they are working on a fix. Period. Had the camera become available a month ago, I would have probably already owned one. Now, I might just keep my Sony DSR-500 and wait for something better. Surely Sony will respond with a comparable (and very possibly better) solution within a year :-)

Robert Castiglione September 13th, 2005 04:12 AM

I generally agree with Nate's approach. I am interested in making films rather than fussing about the technical aspects of cameras etc.

I tried real hard to persuade myself I could live with this defect. I thought maybe I could work around it.

Unfortunately, it is not a minor issue. The defect is ok if you just intend shooting outside in bright sunlight all the time. But try taking the camera indoors and shooting in low light at any subject. The split screen is visible even at 0 db (the fact of the defect using gain was irrelevant to me as I would never use gain anyway).

In these circumstances, I dont think that it is too much to ask for a manufacturer to communicate with its customers to let them know that hey hang in there and we will sort this out (naive I am sure). That would really be enough for me.

In the absence of that, I will definitely returning the camera. If I have to have a stouch about it I will.

Rob

Mikael Widerberg September 13th, 2005 05:31 AM

Mine have a splitscreen as well.

Its quite easy to se it when you shoot indoor and zoom in full on to a bright wall or somthing. You have to watsh the screen for one or two seconds, but ones you see it, its wery clear and distinct. Its ther no mather if the gain is on 0 or 18db.

I have to turn my camera in.

I orderd it from New Zealand with is bad for me since I live in Sweden and have to pay for the transport.

But maybe JVC have a easy fix for this problem, so that I can turn it in her in Sweden.

Hello JVC, I like our new cam alot but, its time to stick up the nose from the sand and give us a fix on this!

Robert Castiglione September 13th, 2005 05:42 AM

Dear Mikael,

Hey we might in this thing together! I bought mine from New Zealand as well. Sounds like the same supplier.

I am just about to send mine off to Singapore under the guarantee they provide. As you say very expensive - but unfortunately essential. What I plan to do to avoid any nonsense is get an independent cinematographer to do a brief report on it corroborating the problem. I have alos prepared a very sad little tape clearly showing the split screen in all its glory!

Rob