Upgrade Wishlist (updated with HD200/250 results) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 24th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #16
Contributor

Tim - I have a feeling this thread will be a great resource, as you've already pointed out a number of things to users that already exist on the camera. I take it when you said firmware, you meant hardware, because many requests address things at a hardware level.
  1. Capture application Mac/PC A basic HDV capture application probably should've been included with the initial release. Relying on 3rd party NLE solutions is fine, but here we are nearly 3 months down the track and very little support, nearly all of it beta.
    -
  2. A JVC frame based editing codec As Panasonic have done with DVCPro, having your own codec sure simplifies things when it comes to NLE's. Something that could transcode at digitise from the long GOP.
    -
  3. Large tape shell support May not be feasible but I thought I'd throw it in as desirable.
    -
  4. Pro battery standard I second this one as an essential
    -
  5. Automatic VTR switching Would like the camera to automatically switch to VTR mode when using the VTR buttons. currently you have to open the LCD door and press a switch - not very ergonomic.
    -
  6. Make HDV/DV switch for IEEE port automatic when switching modes The current manual switch would not be necessary
    -
  7. Manual record button for IEEE in I think currently this is only supported when using a computer to control the camera? Would like the ability to manually record.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mitchell
Tim - I have a feeling this thread will be a great resource, as you've already pointed out a number of things to users that already exist on the camera. I take it when you said firmware, you meant hardware, because many requests address things at a hardware level.
Actually, at the time I started this thread I did want to solicit FIRMWARE update ideas. Something JVC might be able to offer as a downloadable firmware update to its existing HD100 customers, much the way Nikon updated the D70 firmware to version 2.0 a few months ago, and offered it as a free download.

However, HARDWARE and SOFTWARE ideas are obviously welcome. It doesn't hurt to think about the next generation. I'm sure that Panasonic's development of the DVX100A and B were aided by forum input.
You never know when a JVC engineer might drop by to get some inspiration!
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #18
Major Player

1: Full auto button is positioned behind your head nearly at the back of the camera, making it VERY VERY difficult to switch it on while shooting on the shoulder. DV500's position is much better.

2: Try and clean the gain up a bit more (as always)

3: VMount Plate on the back as standard... (even though I now have some decent power JVC mount batteries that should provide about 3+ hours run time)

4: Option for LCD to display levels and timecode when flipped and recessed into the camera like on DV5000.

5: Option to have viewfinder and LCD on at the same time.

6: Redesign the back I/O panel to look like this
http://www.glasseye.com.au/hd101e/hd...de2_custom.jpg
(ie Full size audio connectors not mini phono connector)

7: Realtime downconvert of HDV material to DV via 1394. Make that 1394 IEEE switch do what everyone thought it would do!

8: Two models only, one with 1394 out only (for your Euro market) and one 1394 In and out, everything else the same (ie no PAL NTSC models, just make them all PAL and NTSC via menu options)

9: 4pin XLR 12v DC power connector.

10: Internal focus lens.

11: User Firmware upgradeable (keep calibration data in separate flash area to survive user firmware upgrades). We are happily flashing firmware on all our stuff now, get over it, its normal part of life now, it shouldn't be a factory service option only. Enhance the product firmware updates without forcing users back into service centres.

Now to dream:

A: 1/2" not 1/3", drop 1/3" here and now...
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:38 AM   #19
Major Player

I'd like the option of a full resolution LCD viewfinder (probably only as an option - because of the price)...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 11:34 AM   #20
Major Player

My wish list addition

Focus Assist output option I'd like to be able to route the focus assist to a video assist monitor on the camera.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #21
Major Player

JPEG2000 encoder 4:2:2 8/10bit instead of mpeg2
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #22
Major Player

and with HDD and P2 support.
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

P2 will not happen. That's strictly Panasonic territory.

Yes, I'm aware that 50% of JVC is owned by Matsushita, a parent corporation which also wholly owns Panasonic, thus some folks like to believe there is a connection. But the fact is that JVC and Panasonic are competitors in this market. JVC is committed to the HDV tape format and Panasonic is committed to P2 flash memory, and their paths will not cross.

HDD support will exist thanks to the FireStore and similar options, as it already is with the HD100.

Mpeg2 is an integral part of the HDV format, so that isn't going away either.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 05:48 AM   #24
Major Player

Forget P2, but what about 1.8" hard drives. They have pretty high sustained throughput, up to 80GB and are only the same size as a P2 card.

5GB PCMCIA
http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storag...odel=MK5002MPL

80GB Embedded
http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storag...odel=MK8007GAH

While the standard PCMCIA drive is only 5GB but JVC could put the embedded drive into some form of open standard slot if they wanted too, establishing a new media standard...
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #25
Major Player

What about CMOS instead of CCD'S?
Andreas Fernbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #26
Trustee

Ok this may sound stupid...

A recording mode kind of like the SD 60p mode but where it records in the stream 1280x720i 60i.

The reason for this would be to have a way to gain 60 fps and HD and still be able to fit in 19.7 Mb/s.

During playback and capture the camera could convert this 720i into a 720p 60p.

This would give us a lower resolution image than straight 1280x720p but with double the framerate for those who really need the 60 fps.

Compared to the SD 60p mode this new mode would have a much higher horizontal resolution but a slightly lower vertical resolution.

1280x360 compared to 720x480

Plus on playback and capture the stream would be deinterlaced and scaled to 1280x720 so no scaling will need to be done in post.

I think this would be much more usefull than motion smoothing.

So when shooting there would be a tradeoff. Sharp 1280x720 but only at 30p or a slightly softer 1280x360 at the full 60p. This will give shooters more options instead of having to switch to SD to get smoother motion.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 10:21 PM   #27
Tourist

Gy-hd101

I hope they will put B&C conectors and genlock on the NEW Gy-hd101.
John Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #28
Regular Crew

HD100 Upgrade Wishlist

I just ordered one, because I need it now, though if I had the option, I'd have waited for the Mark II to deliver (NAB '06?) With any luck, these features will be included:

1st (and foremost): Access to an uncompressed HD-SDI signal that avoids the MPEG-2 compression required to get images onto HDV tape.

2nd: DIGITAL component out, for the HD-SDI signal. Keep those nasty D/A conversions out of it, please. If analog is necessary for in-field monitoring, then how about making the jacks switchable? This would be a feature as elegant as your overall design.

3rd: RS-422 deck control, so one can use an HD-SDI capture card like those from Black Magic Designs without having to go through an expensive 3rd party box like the Miranda HD-Bridge for high bandwidth media ingest.

4th: 3-chip CMOS - I understand that the HD-100 has real problems in the power-management department. I also understand CMOS is far more efficient in terms of power use, not to mention improved picture quality, so it seems like the way to go. Given the cost, weight, and hassle of charging and carrying a ton of spare batteries, this is especially important, and is worth a few extra bucks (okay, several extra bucks.) I don't know if a CMOS array would also address the low-light performance issues, but that's another obvious weakness that a different chip type may mitigate.

5th: A flip-out monitor with pixel-to-pixel accuracy between it and the sensor. I know there's a focus-check option that allows you to do on-the-fly spot checks, but this really isn't adequate for real-world shooting scenarios - especially the kinds of handheld work that the ENG style camera design lends itself to. And having to use an outboard monitor to get a decent focus pull really defeats the purpose of the open lens design.

6th: Genlock, and a remote control. One thing I did like about the Sony Z1 is that, in a multi-camera situation, you can line a bunch of them all up, set TC to free-run, and hit start from the RC so that TC matches across the board. JVC should do the same.

7th: A companion deck that supports 720p HDV. It would be nice if I could avoid wear & tear on my heads by not having to use the camera as and edit deck as well.

Here's what I'm NOT worried about:

1st: 24p ingest support - this is nice, but I think it's better for the NLE folks to add direct support (this means you, Apple) instead of expecting a third party (JVC, Lumiere, etc.) to supply a plug-in that - even if conflict-free - automatically slows system performance. All I expect from the camera is the cleanest image possible. Compatative NLE's should be able to take it from there.

2nd: 1080i acquisition - I'm very happy with existing hardware-based downstream format conversion options (Teranex, if the budget allows, my G5 Quad if not, and a Miranda HD-Bridge if the $ are somewhere between.) Since I like doing a lot of color-correction, what I REALLY want to avoid is excessive compression at the acquisition stage, and given that 720p HDV has a ratio of 27:1, vs. 47:1 for 1080i, the HD-100 has a real advantage. When I need to deliver a 1080i master, I'd prefer to start with the 720p signal, carry it through post, and deal with cross-conversion immediately prior to mastering, when I've got more robust hardware options available. (Sports guys, and fans of the 'video look' may disagree, but I'm not one of them...)

Finally, a few things JVC absolutely nailed (i.e. a VERY big thank you.)

1st (and again, foremost): ENG over-the-shoulder design. The most 'sumer' thing about the 'prosumer' range is the silly handycam layout. The Z1 is the worst offender, and the XL-H1 isn't much better (unless you're committed to using a tripod more often than not, or spend all your free time at the gym doing bench presses and curls.)

2nd: A detachable lens. This is 'pro', where the Sony and Panasonic designs are totally 'sumer' - this weakness really hits home when you want to use a 35mm lens adaptor, and find that the inferior Sony & Pana. designs force you to go through the built in lens, instead of going direct to the sensor. This may reflect a lack of awareness regarding consumer needs, or perhaps they're just protecting their D-Cinema product lines, in which case they're simply putting their needs ahead of their customers, and don't deserve to be rewarded with your hard-earned money. This is not surprising for Sony, but we expect more from Panasonic.

3rd: Honest-to-goodness square pixels and REAL progressive capture. This really simplifies post workflow. I'm not surprised at the fast-one Sony pulled here, though I can't figure out why Canon made a similar move with the XL-H1 since they don't have a pro line to protect. In any case, thank you JVC.

4th: That wonderful headphone-wire-free earpiece. It's obvious, yet brilliant, and just goes to show that if you start from the right place in terms of layout (unlike Canon and Sony, which seem anti-ergonomic in the extreme) the rest of the details start falling into place. Very nice touch.

There you have it. I'm sure I'll have more wants and needs when my camera arrives. In the meantime, I hope JVC is listening - you've made a FANTASTIC start, and should be able to leave everyone else in the HDV dust if you're smart about building on it.

Hope this helps.

Alex
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #29
Regular Crew

one more thing

Color sampling for that uncompressed HD-SDI out should, of course, be 4:2:2, not 4:2:0. Canon's got it, and if you want to do decent key effects, it makes a big difference.
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Bowles
7th: A companion deck that supports 720p HDV. It would be nice if I could avoid wear & tear on my heads by not having to use the camera as and edit deck as well.
It's called the BR-HD50. It was released at the same time as the camera.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...l_id=MDL101540
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems