Upgrade Wishlist (updated with HD200/250 results) - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 21st, 2006, 11:39 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Thanks David. I'd come across Cineform's codec earlier, and got very excited, as the results are astounding. But as you pointed out, it's only available on two platforms, neither one of which commands major market share. I've already committed to FCP, so I'm hoping that the Cineform guys (who are regulars on this site) will let us know if and when their stuff can work with Apple's NLE.

In the meantime, I'm considering doing a show where I take an uncompressed 720p60 signal from the camera, and capture to a disk array via a Black Magic card. I would be on a stage for this, so the bulk of the setup isn't a worry. I'd be shooting live-action elements against a blue or green screen, with all the backgrounds added in post, possibly using Shake.

If anyone has been going down this path (aside from the 'Spoon' guys, who I'm already following), could you let me know?

Cheers,

Alex
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #47
Regular Crew

White Balance adjustment

Maybe I'm the only one who would want this, but I do mostly documentary filming and I would LOVE to be able to dial in a white balance adjustment, say in 100 degree increments with the little shutter dial.

I would also like it if the User buttons could be programed to select different whole scene files.
Tom Valens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:05 AM   #48
Major Player

Any updates on these suggestions being implemented?
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Valens
Maybe I'm the only one who would want this, but I do mostly documentary filming and I would LOVE to be able to dial in a white balance adjustment, say in 100 degree increments with the little shutter dial.

I would also like it if the User buttons could be programed to select different whole scene files.
Ditto.

White Balance by degrees I like that you actually see what degree has been chosen by the white balance but I'd LOVE being able to dial in 100 degree increments. That has to be somewhat easy to program and it's probably my number one "wish".

Zebra Toggle It would be nice to quickly switch Zebra settings. A button push to toggle between two user selected presets like 100% / 70% would be helpful. The HVX has it. Toss in some kind of shadow area zebra too.

Better white balance toggle Right now you have to burn a user button to create a toggle button. The toggle button should be the white balance button when you are in preset WB mode.

Scene file via user button The user buttons are pretty limited IMO. One way to really make this camera run faster is by allowing user buttons to select entire scene files.

Prime lenses (Fuji / Canon) Maybe I'm the only one this makes sense to, but if we had a wide and standard focal length primes that were sharper with less CA this would really be an incredible camera. Drop the price on the 2/3" adapter.

Focus Assist to External monitor

Image Flip A 35mm adapter friendly flip would be awesome even if it was just a preview flip.

Last edited by Joel Aaron; April 9th, 2006 at 08:26 PM.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Aaron
Prime lenses (Fuji / Canon) Maybe I'm the only one this makes sense to...
Not at all -- I've seen a few comments around the boards wishing for this, myself included. JVC is pitching the HD100 as a cinematography camera, and many cinematographers with experience in 16mm/35mm are taking interest in it. Considering the drawbacks of the stock lens, and way-too-high price of the wide-angle zoom, prime lenses would be an ideal addition to the accessory options.
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #51
Regular Crew

1 Zoom control on the top handle
2 Optional floating lens image stablizer like in the canon.
3 720p60 hdv
Jeff Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #52
Capt. Quirk

Let's see... SDI 4:2:2 output? Lenses that don't cost more than the camera itself? A camera that actually will work with other equipment would be nice... Pay attention here Canon! Basicly, I just want something affordable that works the way it is supposed to, right out of the box- not sometime in the unforseen future.
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #53
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Morrissette
1 Zoom control on the top handle
2 Optional floating lens image stablizer like in the canon.
3 720p60 hdv
Two of those three wishes already exist. There is an optional zoom control for the top handle(at least there was). That was the first shortcoming I pointed out after seeing the camera at NAB last year.

720p 60 is available via component output to a dedicated capture card. You just can't pump that much through a firewire pipe. FW is limited to 720p 24 and 30 frame modes.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:42 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Really, you can order one? Or is mine just missing it for some odd reason?
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:44 AM   #55
Regular Crew

It would also be sweet if they had a firestore that captured the 4:2:2 output.

no I'm really dreaming.

also maybe a bottle cap opener on the side ;)
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM   #56
Wrangler

Quote:
Really, you can order one? Or is mine just missing it for some odd reason?
The very first HD100s I received back in August of 2005 DID NOT have a zoom control on the top handle. Their serial numbers started with "12"
I then swapped both units a couple of weeks later because of split-screen calibration issues, and the new ones had the zoom rocker on the top handle. These new units started with serial numbers "13."

I'm not sure if any of the early European models have zoom controls on the top handle, since they were released months before Canada or the U.S.
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Do you think they will upgrade me.....?

Is it built into the handle or strapped on?

no pun intended.
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #58
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The very first HD100s I received back in August of 2005 DID NOT have a zoom control on the top handle. Their serial numbers started with "12"
I then swapped both units a couple of weeks later because of split-screen calibration issues, and the new ones had the zoom rocker on the top handle. These new units started with serial numbers "13."

I'm not sure if any of the early European models have zoom controls on the top handle, since they were released months before Canada or the U.S.
FWIW, the HD-100 on loan for our Texas Shootout did not have the top handle zoom control. It did have the A mod in it though.

If you look back at some of Chris' pictures from NAB 2005 in the photo gallery, you can see the optional zoom rocker attached.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #59
Regular Crew

no pun intended.
Old April 11th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #60
Wrangler

Quote:

no pun intended.
It is built into the plate with the Focus Assist and REC buttons.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is a very "consumer-like" feature and I have never personally had a need for it. In fact, I hardly ever engage the servo.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems