Transferring video to PC? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 18th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #31
Major Player

Well; I wasn't afraid of the (obvious) learning curve. I used to work with Media Studio Pro and Adobe Premiere; so Vegas was some learning curve as well. While I don't doubt Liquid's capabilities, I just figure it suits my workflow less... On the other hand, you are right Stephen, that might be a comment only made if I was experienced with this NLE. It just 'seemed' nothing for me...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
On the other hand, you are right Stephen, that might be a comment only made if I was experienced with this NLE.
The offer stands.....
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #33
Major Player

Thanks....

You're coming to Belgium; or I'm coming there? :-)
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #34
New Boot

All,

Thanks for the advice. Although I should have probably asked in the Editing forum, I thought my inquiry was very relevant to the HD100 as well because the camera is nothing without any way to move my footage and I still haven't found many answers.

For the record I'm shooting primarily at HDV-HD24P.

Basically so far I have not found any freeware or afforable software to retrieve video from my camera.

Links or helpful search engine keywords would be nice. A simple search for freeware HDV capture does not turn up anything promising.

Am I just asking too much?? Shouldn't a firewire camera operate like something as simple as a firewire hard drive?

I don't even want to do any editing at this point. I just want to copy raw MPEG footage to the computer, encode it to DIVX, and upload it to my website.

Also, can the HD100 do live capture in Camera mode? I just want to capture directly to PC without tapes. From what I've read so far in the user manual, it has to be in VTR mode to move any footage off-camera. This would make the camera useless as a live video capture device, unless I use the analog component out (in which case I might as well just use a $40 webcam).

Am I screwed or do I need to spend a lot of $$$ ? Any free or cheap solutions out there?
Doug Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #35
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Doug,

Most software doesn't handle the 24p mode yet. For the cheapest PC commerical solution that does, you could use Connect HD ($199) to real-time convert incoming 24p data to AVIs (download the 15-day trial from www.cineform.com -- you could at least use that free period to help create you web content.) For a totally free solution a combination of tools like CapDVHS (capture transport stream), PVAStrumento (to strip transport streams into elementry streams) and VirtaulDubMPEG (to convert those MPEG streams into something else.) You may have frame rate and audio sync issues but with a few tweaks it should be usable.
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:13 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Doug,
Yes you can use the 101e as a capture device as you shoot. I hooked my camera via firewire into a mac laptop running Final Cut Pro 5 , opened the log and capture window and you can capture or just view here as you shoot. Only thing is there is about a 2 second delay and the quality of picture aint that great.
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #37
Regular Crew

FYI, Iv'e been shooting 720p/30 so havent run into any of the troubles you are talking about.

Anybody know of an update for FCP yet to make it 24 compatible?
Craig Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #38
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
Anybody know of an update for FCP yet to make it 24 compatible?
Believe me, when it's out, this board will be the first to talk about it.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems