HD100 handling... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 24th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #16
Major Player

Please let us know how those Power2000 brand fair. I have had some really dodgy JVC replacement batteries bought locally so I only bought the JVC originals so far from B&H. These batteries are also used on my DV301E.

This camera really needs a 6000mAH battery.

I have sort of an IDX source myself for this camera though. ITs a simple belt with an IDX plate on it, with a 4pin XLR output hanging off it. To that I attach a voltage regulator which you normally use in your car (like a universal car regulator). It has 12v, 9v and 7,2v outputs. 7.2v is perfect for the DC input.

The only problem is I don't get any battery low warning, and you are tethered to the camera. The converter isn't terribly efficient either so you loose I'd guess about 25% power to heat. Hence why I have created my own high efficiency voltage converter, but am yet to actually test it.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #17
Major Player

I will, but first I need the camera and then I need a friend to bring or send the batteries from US, I ordered to his address in San Diego because I live in Portugal. If B&H would post to here I would have to pay VAT and extra taxes. In Portugal it's not easy to order something from overseas without paying lots of taxes...

However, in my Sony PD150 and my digital Olympus camera these Power2000 work fine, just like the original ones. B&H is really trustworthy, they don't sell low quality products... I think!
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #18
Major Player

I did some tests last night on my little home made voltage regulator. On my DV301, which is 7.2v and meant to draw up to 2A (so up to about 14W but I read somewhere it is a 10w camera), my VMount battery was putting out about 10-12W depending on the LCD being on or off (added 800mAH to the current draw), as did actually recording. So it seems the efficiency is about 80% which isn't too bad. I had to loose a little light for the power switch though as I worked out it was drawing 1W just itself... Maybe a diode will replace it.

Now I can power my DV301 from my VMounts via the DC in, and this should work for the HD101 as well if I get one, though I'd rather the proper plate.

I also took a generic JVC mount battery apart (lasted about 10min it was so dead). It just contained some Panasonic LiIon 800mHA cells (claimed 1700mHA battery but with the batteries in use it was at best 1600).

I found some LiIon cells on the net, 2000mHA for just over US$5 or about $8 for 2400mHA. I'm thinking of rigging up my own battery with about 10,000mHA using the front of this generic battery and making a custom rear section. 10,000mHA should keep a HD100 running for about 2.5hours, and my DV301 for about 4-5 hours+. The battery shouldn't cost much more than about US$100.

Last edited by Guy Barwood; September 26th, 2005 at 05:42 AM.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #19
Major Player

You're an enginious guy... that's too complicated for me! I'd rather spend about 200€ on batteries and some day purchase an A-B solution. If you'd live nearby I'd ask you to build a thing like that for me. 10.000mHa is very good.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems