Battery charger? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 20th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #1
New Boot

Battery charger?

Is anyone else highly disappointed with the HD100 battery charger? From what I read in the manual, it doesn't charge both batteries at once. And it doesn't seem to charge the batteries while the camera DC power supply is in use. What is the point of a dual-battery charger that only runs one thing at a time??? This would definitely suck in the field. I'm looking for an alternative.
Doug Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

One point is that you can put both batterys in the charger and go to bed.

Out there in the field You have to have something like an Anton bauer Gold mount adapter.

Its on its way....

http://www.antonbauer.com
Mikael Widerberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Major Player

Canon has got the same thing for their dual-charger for SLR batts... It's the way it goes. I'll be getting the Bauer mount myself - not sure I could trust those little batts.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 07:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Both my IDX and Swit Dual position V-Mount chargers operate exactly the same way.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:07 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Highly Disappointed with Batt Charger/AC power supply

Count me as an extremely disappointed buyer! I can't believe how lame the design is. Not only does it work as either charger or AC, but you must pull the plug out of the power supply/charger end to trigger charging mode. That means the little cable that goes between the camera and the charger will get lost pretty quickly. You'd thing it would be enough to pull the plug out of the camera to switch modes, wouldn't you?

I'd really like to see a more robust JVC battery and a truly professional power supply/charger offered.

I'm getting about 20-25 minutes of recording with the supplied batts, so I'll be forced to buy the AB or IDX bigger batts.
BT Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:34 PM   #6
Wrangler

Just be glad they actually included a battery, charger and AC cable. My dealer told me that originally they hadn't planned on it because it JVC considered it a "pro" camera. Luckily they changed their minds.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Just be glad they actually included a battery, charger and AC cable. My dealer told me that originally they hadn't planned on it because it JVC considered it a "pro" camera. Luckily they changed their minds.
Well...if they'd have included a Bauer plate, they could have saved the cost of the charger, battery, etc, and legitimately have gotten away with that. It would have been a lot less to put the plate on, most likely.
Saw one with a Gold Mount on it in Toronto, and it was very nicely balanced.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 07:51 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Saw one with a Gold Mount on it in Toronto, and it was very nicely balanced.
My Gold Mount is on the way. Should be here early next week. My Cavision bellows matte box with handles arrived today. It's very cool, but now I definitely need the AB battery to balance it back out.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 10:59 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Corwin
Not only does it work as either charger or AC, but you must pull the plug out of the power supply/charger end to trigger charging mode. That means the little cable that goes between the camera and the charger will get lost pretty quickly. You'd thing it would be enough to pull the plug out of the camera to switch modes, wouldn't you?
Panasonic's charger is design is identicle to JVC's The little cable must be pulled out of the charger (not the camera) in order to charge the battery. It makes me want to break into it and check and see if there is a switch being actuated to stop charging while the camera DC supply cable is inserted.

Sony's charger design is the best. You can power the camera while charging the battery simultaneously.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems