need help with gy-hd100 settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM   #1
New Boot

need help with gy-hd100 settings

I recently received three of these cameras, finally! I am very excited about it because we have never had three cameras that are the same! I have a weekly program so I haven't had a lot of time to experiment, only a little. I have to use SD for now, because we have so much material we use weekly that was taped in SD. When I first taped with the camera, I thought the quality was just ok. I made lots of adjustments to the camera but we were in a hurry so I was happy enough with the picture and had to roll tape. Now, after digitizing, I am very disappointed in the picture. I have weird flickers and lines that a filter is just not getting. I am new to all of these different frame rates and sizes so maybe I used the wrong thing? Or captured it wrong (even though i tried to match the settings.) I normally use 720X486 at 29.97. This camera only uses 60 and 30, is that correct? (verses 29.97 and 59.?) I choose DV-60I because the only other dv settings are 24 and I don't need that. Am I using the closest format to what I used to use? What I would really like is for someone to tell me their settings that they have found that looks good and let me tweek from there. I have seen other shots from this camera and theirs all look way better than mine, but everyone is also using HDV. Should I do that and downconvert? And honestly, how do I do that? In the editing suite or in the capture process? Also, the shot looked fine on the flip out LCD monitor on the camera, but way different on my computer and external monitor (after capturing I just noticed). I appreciate any feedback! I am already working way more hours than paid for so I just don't have the to time for several days of trial and error. Any suggestions on how to fix what I have already taped would be great as well. Sorry so long. Thanks again!

Wendy
Wendy Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

As a rule, DV footage is 720x480, not 486. If you captured at 720x486 this could cause problems in how your footage is being displayed. Also, if you shot in 60i, you should be capturing and editing the footage at the 29.97 frame rate.

Also, the on-camera lcds are notorious for their inabilities to give a proper representation of what is actually being recorded. Get yourself a CRT field monitor like Sony's PVM-9L3, it will save you a lot of headaches later.
Kenn Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 04:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

What edit system you used ?
Mouayed Zabtia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:29 AM   #4
New Boot

I use FCP 5.02. I recorded in 480/60i... as it was my only option, and even though my settings are correct in the capture set up, it always captures in 29.97 no matter what i do. Any one know why?
Old September 26th, 2005, 08:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

29.97 is the correct frame rate to capture 60i. In 60i, you are recording 60 frames which contain only half a frame's worth of picture information, therefore, you are capturing 60 "half" frames per second. What Final Cut is essentially doing at 29.97 is capturing the whole interlaced frame, hence the reduction, by half, of the frame rate.
Old September 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #6
New Boot

ok, so what else could be wrong? The picture from the deck to monitor is fine, but after capture it is jumping and has lines. Any thoughts on what else I could have set wrong?
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #7
Major Player

are u used to progressive images?
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 10:48 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Did you also check the frame dimensions. I noticed from your original post that you were capturing 720x486. The DV format is 720x480 and needs to be captured at that size to avoid inconsistancies with your editing program. Also, have you checked your sequence settings in Final Cut. The sequence needs to have settings consistant with the footage, i.e. 720x480 @ 29.97, lower field dominant using the dv/dvcpro codec.
Old September 26th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #9
New Boot

I got it! I am in tears.... I really thought I had serious problems. Thanks so much for your help! I went back and changed it to 29.97 and then in the advanced tab i found, I changed it to progressive. (Even thought I recorded in 60i.) I also used the dv codec which i thought i tried already, but i am not sure. With my dvcpro, I used uncompressed 8-bit and noticed a big difference in quality. So why does the dv codec look fine now? Is it the only thing that works with the jvc deck? I had already changed it to 720X480 and that didn't work either. I usually do everything one at a time to know exactly what the problem is, but I didn't have time. I will try to go back and see for sure which one fixed it but can someone explain to me the deal with the 60i/30p thing? I thought they were different. Thanks again!!!
Wendy Daniel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems