Viewfinder question for those who already own a HD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 25th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #16
Wrangler

When shooting HDCAM without a field monitor, the only way you have to judge focus is by the peaking on the viewfinder. The B&W crt finder, while showing oodles more lines of resolution than say, the HD100 finder, still doesn't even come close to showing what a camera like that records.

So it's still a little bit of a crapshoot, and eventually you learn to find the focus point in the middle of the peaking "peak" without the benefit of a field monitor.

The HD100, while having a horrible pixel count, still allows you to get good focus with Focus Assist. FA is just an evolution of peaking, but it's tuned really well...you have to play with it to fully appreciate it.

It still doesn't change the fact that the finder/LCD on the JVC is going to scare people by it's low pixel count. Once you get used to the idea that you can NOT count on the regular color image in the finder/LCD for focus, you'll be fine. I keep a hot finger on the FA button at all times.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
I keep a hot finger on the FA button at all times.
So your 'return'-button on the lens is set to focus assist then as well?
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #18
Wrangler

I tried to keep it clear for use as RET, but I'm finding I just need FA more, and for all ways that the camera gets held. So yeah, I recently put it on FA.
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #19
Major Player

By the way, I only tried it on blue, but you seriously need to get used to that. I thenik I'll switch to red because it's hopefully better visible...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:42 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
I tried to keep it clear for use as RET, but I'm finding I just need FA more, and for all ways that the camera gets held. So yeah, I recently put it on FA.
Is there a RET in the body as well? For those shooting with Mini35.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Is there a RET in the body as well? For those shooting with Mini35.
Nope. None.
Old September 25th, 2005, 05:52 PM   #22
Trustee

What a pity :(
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #23
Major Player

I noticed a delay on both the viewfinder and LCD when making fast movements. I found it a bit anoying, does anyone else notice the same? About the resolution I think its ok, I would prefer a B&W CRT but the FA works just fine.
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 07:11 AM   #24
Major Player

I disagree with most members here about the way the focus assist works. I have checked it and it also leaves a lot of lines on subjects/objects that are out of focus. So it is not easy to see what is in focus. And I do not mean the depth of field, I mean really stuff that is out of focus. It works that way because it looks for focus on lines. Test it for yourself put a man in front of luxaflex and you will notice the camera focus assist is telling you the focus is also on the window....This is ofcourse an easy example but any strong vertical/horizontal line will give you this problem. So the idea is right but it could work better and it would then not be so annoying to watch. That is for me also a big issue, there is already enough information coming through the viewfinder and all the red lines are not making it easier to concentrate on issues that are also important. On a good black and white viewfinder you can see much better what is in focus...Peaking works better, this system of jvc could work better...

director/cameraman

http://www.slingerlandproductions.nl
David Slingerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #25
Major Player

I think the emphasis is the "assist" part of the focus assist. I only put it on occasionally when I am not sure that I have critical focus. I suppose it is indeed a bit of compromise because the cost of a professional viewfinder would be prohibitive.

I have noticed that it does not work all that well in lower light.

Nevertheless, I generally find it useful.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #26
Trustee

Something that just came to mind. How the focus assist works with a mini35?
Old September 27th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #27
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Something that just came to mind. How the focus assist works with a mini35?
Works great. It's ABSOLUTELY necessary if you don't have a first class focus puller.

Trust me, I know this! :-)
Old September 27th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #28
Trustee

Thanks Nate. That's great news. I almost thought it wouldn't work, because you are not really focusing the relay lens, but the one in front of the GG. For some reason I thought it could be a problem. Glad it's not :)
Old September 27th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #29
Barry Wan Kenobi

No, it's not a problem. Focus Assist works by highlighting high-frequency detail, so whether it's coming from the mini35 or through the normal camera lens, what the CCDs see is equally applicable to Focus Assist.
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems