DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Why the IDX adaptor seems expensive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/51810-why-idx-adaptor-seems-expensive.html)

Guy Barwood September 26th, 2005 10:41 PM

Why the IDX adaptor seems expensive

It would appear that a few are saying that the IDX VMount plate is very expensive, around US$1000+, but here is why.

I'll bet they are quoting the price of the IDX-100-E package

This includes:
1x A-E2HD100 Bracket
2x Endura E7S (71Wh) IDX Batteries
1x LV-2 Sequential Quick Charger

So for your $1000 odd you are getting a lot more than just the adaptor plate.

According to
http://www.ptsys.ru/tech_info/files/JVC/pts_jvcidx.pdf

The plate (part number A-E2HD100 will be made avaliable as a seperate part in the future via normal IDX channels. This part I'll bet will be only a relatively small cost for those already with VMount systems.

Werner Wesp September 27th, 2005 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Barwood
It would appear that a few are saying that the IDX VMount plate is very expensive, around US$1000+, but here is why.

I'll bet they are quoting the price of the IDX-100-E package

This includes:
1x A-E2HD100 Bracket
2x Endura E7S (71Wh) IDX Batteries
1x LV-2 Sequential Quick Charger

So for your $1000 odd you are getting a lot more than just the adaptor plate.

According to
http://www.ptsys.ru/tech_info/files/JVC/pts_jvcidx.pdf

The plate (part number A-E2HD100 will be made avaliable as a seperate part in the future via normal IDX channels. This part I'll bet will be only a relatively small cost for those already with VMount systems.

Just the plate (A-E2HD100) is available yet, I have it lying here beside me, but I paid $500 dollars for that 2 weeks ago...

Mind you, I'm from Europe...

Guy Barwood September 27th, 2005 04:45 AM

Sounds like you potentially paid too much. Maybe someone realised a good way to make to make a quick buck is to buy the kit and split the products for seperate sale than sell it as a kit. That is until the plate is formally released by IDX for seperate sale. IDX don't list it on their web site yet, neither do B&H who are sure to list it once avaliable as they have a lot of other IDX gear

Werner Wesp September 27th, 2005 04:58 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you potentially paid too much. Maybe someone realised a good way to make to make a quick buck is to buy the kit and split the products for seperate sale than sell it as a kit. That is until the plate is formally released by IDX for seperate sale. IDX don't list it on their web site yet, neither do B&H who are sure to list it once avaliable as they have a lot of other IDX gear

Nupe, I checked prices at 5 different locations: they were all exactly the same:

€285 + VAT = €355 ... so that's about $500

Guy Barwood September 27th, 2005 05:06 AM

Maybe then, I've sent a request to IDX for information. Lets see what they have to say (if anything).

John Mitchell September 27th, 2005 10:10 AM

No the poster is right Guy - I was quoted just for the IDX adapter $AU590 + 10% GST in Australia. The whole kit was $1850 + GST which was better value(they want you to buy that). I would expect in the US the adapter will be cheaper, but still overpriced.

Personally, if I already had IDX style batts, I'd look at buying a standard mount with the 14.4V to 7.5V tap and jury-rig it on to your camera in a way similar to that mentioned by another Aussie, Craig Donaldson in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49643

That's a V-lock belt adapter with a custom made aluminium bracket.

Personally I went with Anton Bauer standalone adapter plate for $AU353 + GST, and i bought my batteries (2 x 95WH + 2 channel simultaneous charger) from GMP for $AU904 (including freight). So I paid roughly $AU1300 for a 2 battery kit as opposed to over $AU2000 for IDX with a 2 channel sequential charger (so longer to recharge) and two slightly smaller (70wH) batteries. If I'd bought the complete AB kit that would have been 1 Dionic 90, the adapter and a single channel charger that also acts as camera mounted power supply for $AU1650.

I've been running some tests tonight - I've run about 1.75 hours of tape through with the LCD flipped out, done a fair bit of rewinding, zooming on the lens and the camera's still running 7 hours later and the battery is still showing full! I estimated if the camera ws drawing 17wH I should get 5 hours of continuous shooting from each battery, but the result may be better.

Interestingly the AB adapter has had a revision already and is now feeding the camera a regulated 8.0 V rather than the original 7.3V - I'm not sure why this is, but the camera works well.

The camera still seems well balanced - better actually for off the shoulder.

Mikael Widerberg September 27th, 2005 11:16 AM

John, where did you by your AB adapter from?

Barry Green September 27th, 2005 12:13 PM

I looked up the part #'s at BHPHOTO.COM, the batteries themselves go for $189 or so, the charger for $550, and the anton-bauer plate at EVS is listed at $169 (can the IDX one be that much more? IDX plates for other cameras are in the same price range...) So it seems entirely reasonable to guess that $1000 would be for the 2-battery+charger+plate bundle.

That'd be a quite viable solution for the HD100, I do hope that's what they release.

Terry Nixon September 27th, 2005 01:42 PM

IDX adapters

IDX emailed me the following and stated that you can only buy these kits JVC and not through IDX.

#1 – LE-HD100 package
1 x VL-2 charger
1 x E-7S battery
1 x A-E2HD100 adaptor

#2 – NVA-100 package
1 x NH100V battery holder
1 x A-E2HD100 adaptor

Package# 1 was designed for the customers who do not have IDX charger and battery.
Package #2 was designed for the customers who purchased GY-DV500/5000 in the past, and purchased GY-HD100 camera as the replacement or the back up.

John Mitchell September 27th, 2005 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikael Widerberg
John, where did you by your AB adapter from?

A company called Gencom, the Aussie importers (in NZ as well). They were kind enough to break it out of akit and sell it to me separately, but they are now awaiting new stock.

Guy Barwood September 28th, 2005 12:52 AM

OK, I admit I was wrong! boo hoo ;-)

However the US$500+ for the adaptor is still overprices as I too got a quote for the adaptor alone for AU$590ex, however that is only US $440. Its a strange day when something is cheaper down under than in the US and its not vegimite...

I have 20x 2400mAh LiIon cells on their way from the US to me now. They cost about US$158+US$30 freight so each 10 cost US$94. With two old batteries they should (I hope) go together to make 2x 12,000mAH batteries that will fit right on the camera.

I might forgo one set for now and modify my voltage converter kit with an IDX plate I have to make my own IDX adaptor, even if it mounts to the camera but connects to the DC in. If I get anywhere I'll post some photos.

All this and I don't even have a HD101 yet! But I need some decent power for my DV301 anyway, and it looks like I'll have a buyer for my DV500 so will have a HD101 sooner rather than later :-)

Werner Wesp September 28th, 2005 04:09 AM

Quote:

However the US$500+ for the adaptor is still overprices as I too got a quote for the adaptor alone for AU$590ex, however that is only US $440. Its a strange day when something is cheaper down under than in the US and its not vegimite...

I'm sorry if I didn't state it very clear, but it's the price I got here in Europe (€355 VAT in... which is roughly $500) where I'm from. I expect the price to be better in the US....

Guy Barwood September 28th, 2005 04:49 AM

Is that 355 euro or pounds? 355 euro is AU$414 which is a very good price compared to our $590 (in which case you can see why I was suprised to start with), but 355 pounds is AU$845.

US$500 = AU$668 at the moment

I told our local IDX agent I will be waiting to see what B&H and Global Media sell it for before paying their $590+10% tax. If you paid Euro, and think it will be cheaper in the US, they we could be looking at AU$350-$380. Certainly worth importing if you want one.

Werner Wesp September 28th, 2005 05:06 AM

I couldn't wait, so I already bought one.

I paid €355 (euro) which is about £250 (pounds), so that is about $500 (american dollars). I think your off somewhere, because 1 pound isn't 2 euro's at all. But this price is VAT in, and that's 21% over here (instead of 10% for you guys... I think I need to move... :-) )

Guy Barwood September 28th, 2005 05:30 AM

Here are one of Australia's main banks exchange rates:

http://www.anz.com.au/aus/RateFee/fxrates/fxpopup.asp

1AU= (Bank sells TT is the rate you get when you Transfer money from Au)

US 0.7482
EURO 0.6149 ($577)
Pound 0.4200

Sorry, I'm not sure how I got that $414. So I come full circle. I doubt I'll be paying that much for the adaptor if my other solutions work.

With this split screen issue I am really hesitating buying anyway, even if I do have the money. My moods swing on this like I was XX.