ProHD playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old September 27th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Major Player

ProHD playback

I'm interested in a DVD-playback option of HDV/ProHD such as the upcoming JVC SR-DVD100U or avel link-player. These are NTSC when in SD mode, so not very interesting to me.

Does anyone know this player? http://www.neodigits.com/body/produc...81/feature.asp
It seems quite interesting, but I can't find if it can play data-DVD's on whitch I burned my *.m2t files....
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Contributor

Werner I have the model immediately before (2081). It is an excellent upconverting player (nearly in the class of my DVDO iScan - a few more de-interlacing errors is about all I could pick; and the new player is supposed to have a better chip). When it comes to playing back HD, it will only play back it's own proprietary format which is HVD - I've had a look at an HVD on computer and it seems to be a straight ripoff of the DVD format using an MPEG2 stream@ 14Mb/s in 720P (there were other differences in file structure to DVD) so I doubt very much that it would playback the M2T streams directly. I can find no tech specs or programs designed to author HVD anywhere. Of the Chinese HD formats I can only find discussion on EVD and FVD.

I reckon you'd have to transcode to the right format and then author it as an HVD. It supposedly handles a bunch of other SD formats. I could run a test but I don't know how you are creating your streams.

The build quality is average only, but for the price if you want an upconverting player for your Plasma/LCD/Projector it's excellent and it is the only one that outputs HD on the component side (for CRT projectors). Don't expect much in the way of a warranty though (3 months and send it back to China at your expense), but customer service is excellent for a Chinese distributor - Roy at Neodigits is proactive and writes English better than a lot of us what got an education :-)
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 04:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks...

Well, the source would be edited 720P from a JVC GY-HD101E, probably 25P. If you could test it it would be perfect, but I'll probably don't have to get my hopes up for the device playing it...

I would buy the JVC, but it seems they're not going to sell it in europe and therefor won't develop a PAL version (for the SD part...)
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #4
Contributor

Currently I can't 25P into my editor as the codec isn't supported yet, so I can't test it. When I can I will.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems