Split screen technical explanation - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 5th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #136
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
You just so want to love and trust this camera. You vacillate wildly between wanting desperately to trust JVC and just not believing that it could do this to you.

Meanwhile the split screen effect is always there, waiting, just waiting to emerge ...
I feel you. At the same time I´m confident that JVC will do something about this problem once they have figured it out. For now I see no reason to send my unit in until they have a cure for it...!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #137
Barry Wan Kenobi

So Robert, your assertion is that SSE happens regardless of light levels; if you point it at a flat same-colored surface you can detect the split?
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:44 PM   #138
Major Player

No - sorry Barry, that was not my intent.

It is not regardless of light levels.You can see from my email that I was having a bit of a rave. I hope that people experiencing this difficulty can be excused occasionally for sharing their frustrations and mixed feelings.

I suppose the main point is that I can certainly see it in an unlit room during daylight - with a big window at the end of the room acting as key light. You can see it by focusing on a flat wall with one colour. The SSE seems masked by detail in the frame. My position has always been that I could live with the difficulty if it only manifested with gain on.

Sorry for my imprecision - not wanting to fuel hysteria or anything.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #139
HDV Cinema

[QUOTE=Robert Castiglione. You can see it by focusing on a flat wall with one colour. The SSE seems masked by detail in the frame.Rob[/QUOTE]

PLEASE -- when reporting, note which Region you are in. You are in a PAL Region.

Moreover, even an NTSC unit will do this unless you MANUALLY COLOR BALANCE.
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #140
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
It seems to me, judging by the reports, that the NTSC units are just as bad!
I started at page 5 and so far ALL those reporting SSE -- that is NOT eliminated by adding light -- are units not inspected in the USA. So where do you come up with this conclusion. Where are your data?

Why are folks who know their units are almost 100% likely to be bad and therefore must be replaced by JVC still reporting what we know to be the case? You might as well reporting all your TVs have a terrible flicker. Of course they do!

Where are the dozens of reports from the USA that show SSE is not eliminated by adding light and color balancing

Frankly, judging from the data -- or lack there of -- you guys are building the case for JVC USA not to have to do anything about SSE.

You'll have to come-up with something more than "you'll see it even if it isn't there" and "it's always lurking" to convince JVC USA there is a problem.

Frankly, I'm truly open to the possibility that my solutions will not always eliminate SSE, but so far I've got NO data that supports that possibility. And, if there are no data, what's going on here?
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #141
Major Player

"Why are people who know almost 100 %. still reporting."

1. Because this is the appropriate forum to do so.

2. Becuase there is no official guidance acknowledgement or communication of any kind from JVC.

3. Because we are still exploring the nature and extent of the problem.

4. Because we are hoping that other people on this forum can assist in some way.

5. Because we are upset that we were not told about the problem before we purchased it.

etc etc

Rob
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #142
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Frankly, judging from the data -- or lack there of -- you guys are building the case for JVC USA not to have to do anything about SSE.

You'll have to come-up with something more than "you'll see it even if it isn't there" and "it's always lurking" to convince JVC USA there is a problem.
Take a look at this screen capture amigo. It can really happen in broad daylight.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #143
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Take a look at this screen capture amigo. It can really happen in broad daylight.
Now that is the worst I have seen. Stephen, you need to send that baby back! 100U or E ????
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #144
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Now that is the worst I have seen. Stephen, you need to send that baby back! 100U or E ????
That screencap was provided by Robert Niemann. The unit was an HD-101e. I think insinuating SSE doesn't exist doesn't help. There have been many people across the globe who report it. The camera just came out (as everyone knows) and as I wrote above, I think SSE took JVC's engineers by surprise. I don't think they'll say word one until there is a fix, even if it includes a recall of the first production runs.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:20 AM   #145
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
"Why are people who know almost 100 %. still reporting."Rob
Many have said dozens of times that those not having a USA Inspected camcorder should RETURN IT FOR A NEW ONE. No one here can do for you, or the others, that which some seem unwilling to do -- take it back to your JVC dealer!

We know the extent of the SSE problem in PAL units! It's been documented over and over! You'll not hear from JVC here! You won't get help here because we can't fix your problem. If you are -- rightfully -- upset that you were sold a lemon, why whine? Write a grown-up letter to your appropriate JVC Country Manager.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:23 AM   #146
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
That screencap was provided by Robert Niemann. The unit was an HD-101e. I think insinuating SSE doesn't exist doesn't help. There have been many people across the globe who report it.
Of course, it has SSE -- it is a 101E not a 100U!
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #147
Trustee

Steve, frankly, you are acting as if the HD100U had no SSE. If that was the case, I would just import a NTSC version. It would be even cheaper with the weak dollar rates. But, there are Canadian users reporting the SSE. There are also US users reporting SSE. With and without enough light.
So what's your point?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:46 AM   #148
Major Player

Anyway Steve, I have actually found your suggestions for alleviating the problem helpful - using manual white balance (always a good idea anyway) actually does help significantly. So cheers for that.

Rob
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #149
Trustee

Quote:
Stephen, Chris will be cross at me, but are you deliberately being intentionally dense? And, why are you posting for Robert?

Of course, it has SSE -- it is a 101E not a 100U!
Steve,

I'm taking the m2t's as they come in from all locations and placing them on my timeline. I know what I'm seeing. I posted the Neimann screencap because it is nowhere on this thread. If Chris Hurd want's to break this thread up into NTSC and PAL then I invite that.

S.Noe
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #150
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Many have said dozens of times that those not having a USA Inspected camcorder should RETURN IT FOR A NEW ONE. No one here can do for you, or the others, that which some seem unwilling to do -- take it back to your JVC dealer!
Steve is absolutely right -- you guys who are affected by this issue really need to get your dealers involved. They can apply another level of pressure above and beyond the customer in order to hurry along a solution to the problem.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems