For those with JVC HD100 and FCP... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

For those with JVC HD100 and FCP...

Hey all...(sorry for the cross post, but I thought I would put this in both the HDV and the Final Cut Posts)...I am wondering for those with the HD100 and Final Cut Pro...what have you found to be the best way...or settings to post with?

I tried digitizing with the HDV preset. It recognized the camera, but would not do a batch dig from a list...each clip would start digitize, but would stop due to some "stream" issue.

I did get a digitize from a "now", but it would stop after each clip...with an error, but it retained what was digitized up to the error which amounted to almost like a stop at scene change.

What I shot was all at HDV 720p/60 and or 30 frames...I am not even going to worry about 24frames until there is some major upgrade to FCP.

So I have the Kona2 and I/O LA...the footage looks spectacular in the FCP windows, but I am not finding anyway to get it output to my standard, ntsc monitor. I thought that the Kona software should let me have a downconverted preview to my monitor. How would I achieve this? Run the output of my Kona2 and Kbox into my I/O LA?

I am just really at a loss for getting this posted...I am getting what is fabulous footage...honestly exceeding my expectations with the HD100, but now how is it best posted from those who may have more experience with it?

If it makes a diff...I am currently trying to input from firewire from camera. Did not buy the deck yet.

Thanks all.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

For firewire capture:
If you are shooting 720p30, then just use the HDV 720p30 setting in final cut pro. It would be best to do the "easy setup." It works... I have now tested it.

For 720p24, the verdict is still out on when Apple will add it to the internal workflow of FCP5 (with automatic pulldown removal.) The impression I got from the sales division at JVC Canada was that a FCP 5.0.3 update should have been released in September - but I don't see it yet!

It looks like LumiereHD 2.0 will be the best intermediate solution, but they haven't actually released 2.0 yet. According to the discussion boards over there, it should be released this week. $179US.

In the meantime, the "free" way to work with your footage is to digitize with either DVHSCAP from Apple's FW SDK 19, or HDVxDV free trial (30 days I think.)
The interfaces are very simple, don't have logging capabilities, and you won't see a live preview of your footage on the monitor (so use an external.)

Then use MPEG Streamclip from Squared5 to convert the m2t files you captured into any other quicktime format the current version of FCP will understand.
I have been using Apple Intermediate codec with great success. The file sizes are 3 times as large as the original m2t, but seem to be lossless.

Now for your question about Kona cards. I myself have Blackmagic Decklink, and it should work in the same way. Blackmagic just updated its drivers to do real-time downconverting to SD (it will even letterbox.) If Kona hasn't done so yet, I'm sure it won't take long. You should contact them.

If you want to do a downconvert manually of your final cut, just make a new sequence that is NTSC, and drop your HD sequence into it.

If you have shot 720p30, and you intend the capture analog via the Kona, you should just have to set the device control to 720p30 HDV and capture preset to Kona HD 720p30. Is this the method that isn't working? What position is the 1394 switch in?

Tim
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:48 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you have shot 720p30, and you intend the capture analog via the Kona, you should just have to set the device control to 720p30 HDV and capture preset to Kona HD 720p30. Is this the method that isn't working? What position is the 1394 switch in?

Tim[/QUOTE]

The firewire is set to the HD setting...what do think I should do if I shot in 720p SD60p...I am guessing this is 60 frames per sec. I used it to shoot a local football game to test the fast speed sports capabilities.

The footage looks great in camera, but I have not tried to capture any of it yet just because I am not sure how to handle it.

Any ideas on my "stream" error when trying to capture from firewire via camera?
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Wrangler

You mean 480P60 right? Or maybe JVC calls it HDV-SD60P

DVHSCAP and HDVxDV will also capture this format since it is still a MPEG2 transport stream. Then when you convert using MPEG streamclip, you can conform the new clips from 60P (59.94 fps) to any other fps. I use this method to conform back to 23.98 for true "overcranked" film-style slow-motion.

Another option:
Since 480P60 is standard 720x480 resolution, you could also just set your playback out to NTSC, and capture analog via the Kona card. This will essentially turn 480P60 into 480i60. (Standard NTSC.) If this was your original intent though, you should have used the 60i DV mode and then you could have digitized DV just like any other camcorder.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Tim Dashwood]You mean 480P60 right? Or maybe JVC calls it HDV-SD60P

Actually it is a 16x9 screen size...but it is called HDV-SD60p in the menu...whatever that means. I took to mean a 16x9 screen sized 60 frame per ratio.

I just figured the 60 frames would be good for fast action sports, but if I can't edit it...sheeeeesh.

I will look for the software that you are talking about.

Thanks so much for your help...man this is a whole new ball game from my old beta and standard def background...I even wish I had some film background to bring to bare.
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Baker
Hey all...(sorry for the cross post, but I thought I would put this in both the HDV and the Final Cut Posts)...I am wondering for those with the HD100 and Final Cut Pro...what have you found to be the best way...or settings to post with?

I tried digitizing with the HDV preset. It recognized the camera, but would not do a batch dig from a list...each clip would start digitize, but would stop due to some "stream" issue.

I did get a digitize from a "now", but it would stop after each clip...with an error, but it retained what was digitized up to the error which amounted to almost like a stop at scene change.

What I shot was all at HDV 720p/60 and or 30 frames...I am not even going to worry about 24frames until there is some major upgrade to FCP.
....Thanks all.
I have not found a way to capture into FCP unless it's HDV/720/30. that works, but FCP breaks each clip and when it does, it skips over the first 3 or 4 seconds of video. I've not been able to avoid this, even when using Capture Now.

I've not been able to get FCP to recognize and capture any DV material, now matter what settings I use, including Non-controllable device. I hope there will be an FCP update to address these issues.
BT Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 03:52 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Corwin
I've not been able to get FCP to recognize and capture any DV material, now matter what settings I use, including Non-controllable device. I hope there will be an FCP update to address these issues.
Capturing SD from the HD100 into FCP? I just plugged it in using the same settings as one would for, say, a PD150 (standard DV) and it captured without hitch or incident. FCP 5.0.2, though I'm sure earlier versions would do this too.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

capturing from the HD100 into FCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss
Capturing SD from the HD100 into FCP? I just plugged it in using the same settings as one would for, say, a PD150 (standard DV) and it captured without hitch or incident. FCP 5.0.2, though I'm sure earlier versions would do this too.
I must have hosed the prefs with all the back and forth. I'll trash them and give it another go.
BT Corwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems