DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Newbie Need Help With Lenses for GY-HD100U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/52192-newbie-need-help-lenses-gy-hd100u.html)

Brian Duke October 3rd, 2005 11:59 PM

Newbie Need Help With Lenses for GY-HD100U

Hi guys,

Its my first post and I am completely new to this so bare with me. I am about to purchase a JVC GY-HD100U and a P+S Technik Mini35 to mount it on so I can use 35m lenses. However, once that is bought I am pretty much tapped out and I would like to get some affordable lenses to go along with the system to maintain a FILM LOOK feel to the shoots I am doing.

I understand that some of the better ones are Cooke, Ari, Panavision, but I can't afford to buy those, and I don't want top spend $50-200 per day to rent. Can any of you professionals suggest some reasonable lenses that would cover Telephoto, Normal, and Wide angle that won't cost me a fortune, but still look amazing and keep the FILM LOOK. I hope I made it clear.

I’ve seen lenses for $50-500 but I am not sure if they can do the job. I do NOT want a “video look” and I hope the GY-HD100U and Mini35 will accomplish that with a decent lens.

Also, if anyone know how to get the "overexposed look" that was accomplished in the movie "Traffic." Is it possible to have it done using HDV?

Thanks in advance and thanks for this great website.

Brian

Tim Dashwood October 4th, 2005 07:55 AM

The mini-35 has various mounts available other than PL or Panavision. You could use Nikon or Canon EF and then go to your local used camera shop and try to find some decent primes and zooms.

As for the blown-out Traffic look, that is easy to create on video.

Brian Duke October 4th, 2005 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The mini-35 has various mounts available other than PL or Panavision. You could use Nikon or Canon EF and then go to your local used camera shop and try to find some decent primes and zooms.

As for the blown-out Traffic look, that is easy to create on video.

hi Tim,

THANKS!! So do you think the Canon EF and Nikon will do a nice job making it look like FILM? Any specific ones you can recommend to cover all the dept of field used in motion picture?

Also, do you get the "over exposed Look" like "Traffic" during the shoot, or is it done in post on the computer? And, what exactly is done to get that look?

Thanks for your expertise.

Brian

Chris Hurd October 4th, 2005 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
So do you think the Canon EF and Nikon will do a nice job making it look like FILM?

No, but they will give you the shallow depth of field commonly associated with a film look. For the rest of the film look, you'll have to do that in post production. We have an entire forum dedicated to this in our Special Interests category.

The only lenses that will give you the "film look" right through the glass are the ones you've already stated that you don't want to buy or rent, such as the Cooke and Panavision motion picture lenses.

Brian Duke October 4th, 2005 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
No, but they will give you the shallow depth of field commonly associated with a film look. For the rest of the film look, you'll have to do that in post production. We have an entire forum dedicated to this in our Special Interests category.

The only lenses that will give you the "film look" right through the glass are the ones you've already stated that you don't want to buy or rent, such as the Cooke and Panavision motion picture lenses.

Thanks Chris. Is it even worth buying the other lenses? What do you think? Or will they do the job in conjunction with Post production?

Would you or someone reading recommend any Panavision lenses for me?

PS> Love this website. So much knowledge and help.

Brian

Chris Hurd October 4th, 2005 11:55 AM

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all Panavision equipment is strictly rental only. Or do they actually sell these days? That level of gear is completely outside my experience, but we have a number of cinematographers here who can give you some input.

Tim Dashwood October 4th, 2005 01:45 PM

Rental only. That has always been their business model.

You can buy one of their jackets or baseball caps though!

Greg Milneck October 4th, 2005 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all Panavision equipment is strictly rental only. Or do they actually sell these days? That level of gear is completely outside my experience, but we have a number of cinematographers here who can give you some input.

Yes, Panavision is strictly rental...though Panavision and Zeiss Prime lenses wont give you a "thru the glass film look"..they will give you a very pleasing shallow depth of field, which the Canon or Nikons should do just as nicely.

Post Production techniques will still be required with the Panavision lenses to take the edge of the video image.

Brian Duke October 4th, 2005 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Milneck
Yes, Panavision is strictly rental...though Panavision and Zeiss Prime lenses wont give you a "thru the glass film look"..they will give you a very pleasing shallow depth of field, which the Canon or Nikons should do just as nicely.

Post Production techniques will still be required with the Panavision lenses to take the edge of the video image.

Thanks Greg. So you suggest skip panavision, and maybe go with Zeiss? Or will the Nikon or Canon just do the same. I just want to make sure I am not wasting money on rental lenses that I really don't need, but I DO want a film look as much as I can get PRIOR to post.

Thanks for your time.

Greg Milneck October 4th, 2005 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Thanks Greg. So you suggest skip panavision, and maybe go with Zeiss? Or will the Nikon or Canon just do the same. I just want to make sure I am not wasting money on rental lenses that I really don't need, but I DO want a film look as much as I can get PRIOR to post.

Thanks for your time.

Actually Panavision isnt even an option.

Personally I have never used Nikon or Canon lenses on the Pro35 adapter. I have used both Cooke and Arri (Zeiss) Ultra Primes dozens of times and have been very pleased. But you need to understand the Pro35 adapter is what makes this work, so I am just speculating that the Nikon or Canon lenses would give similar results. The mini35 is basicly the same device for smaller DV or HDV cameras.

I would recommend renting the set-up you are interested in before purchasing and see if you are satisfied with the results....rental rates are very reasonable.

Brian Duke October 4th, 2005 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Milneck
Actually Panavision isnt even an option.

Personally I have never used Nikon or Canon lenses on the Pro35 adapter. I have used both Cooke and Arri (Zeiss) Ultra Primes dozens of times and have been very pleased. But you need to understand the Pro35 adapter is what makes this work, so I am just speculating that the Nikon or Canon lenses would give similar results. The mini35 is basicly the same device for smaller DV or HDV cameras.

I would recommend renting the set-up you are interested in before purchasing and see if you are satisfied with the results....rental rates are very reasonable.

Thanks greg. I am going to rent some lenses before I begin the shoot. Probably try both Cooke and Zeiss to see how they turn out, but also trying the Nikon too.

DO you know the difference between the MINI35 and the Micro, if any, besides price? If the MICRO can do the job of the Mini35 I can save $$$. The Mini is $10K the Micro is like $2K.

Brian

Barry Green October 4th, 2005 08:39 PM

Actually the Micro should be about half that -- I think their main bundle is $850.

They're similar in concept, but I haven't used a Micro35 (or M2 as it's now called) so I can't comment on how well it works. The mini35 is a superbly-crafted piece of equipment, it's thoroughly professional and built like a tank. The mini35 also uses an oscillating movement on its ground glass, to prevent anyone from detecting the pattern of motion in it. I don't know if the M2 rotates or oscillates; earlier versions of the mini35 rotated, and that could lead to a "vortex of grain" on one side of the picture.

The mini35 also has an optical flipping system incorporated in it which means that the footage will look right-side-up in your LCD, in your viewfinder, and when recorded. The Micro35 and all other low-cost adapters don't have that, so the footage is always upside-down on tape.

Finally, if you're talking about using it with the HD100, perhaps the biggest difference is that the Micro35 and other low-cost adapters would need to be mounted in front of the JVC HD100's stock lens, so the image gets shot through the stock lens (which raises questions about chromatic aberration, etc). The mini35 removes the stock lens and replaces it with a single-purpose dedicated relay lens. Presumably that will lead to a more optimal image being transmitted from the ground glass to the CCDs. But that relay lens alone (and the attendant connecting kit) costs about twice of what a fully-rigged Micro35 device costs, so you have to factor that in as well.

Brian Duke October 4th, 2005 09:01 PM

Barry, I think you just made my decision easioer, adn Mini35 it is =) you guys are amazing on here.

Brian

Ken Hodson October 5th, 2005 07:26 PM

Brian, these forums have a great search abillity. You can enter keywords and search single forums or all forums. The amount of info is amazing here. Give it a try!