Battery Recommendation For GY-HD100U - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 19th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #46
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Martland
A photo will up-loaded to our website shortly
How about price?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:51 PM   #47
Wrangler

Yes, more info and pronto.

I'm not really hot on the idea of investing in A/B at the moment, when I know damned well it's overkill for this camera.

I basically want to know how much and how fast I can get them! I have a lot of work coming up and no desire to give A/B my money.
Old October 19th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #48
Trustee

Same here.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Website

Here is the link to Swit

http://www.switbattery.com.
Yusuf Thakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:26 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Any cheap (<200) battery recommendations? BH has "BN-V438U Lithium-Ion Battery Pack " for $139 is it any good? (link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...lue=381904_REG)
Ram Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:49 AM   #51
New Boot

Less expensive pro batteries

According to the manual that battery will give you about an hour of recording time.

If you are looking for more time then that then you are going to have to go with one of the professional battery options. I personally just had a great experience with a company that Nate Weaver suggested out of Miami FL, Batteries4Broadcast.com

Pick up a Sony V-mount or a Anton Bauer Gold Mount: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Then call Kevin down at Batteries4Broadcast and you can pick up a 90wh battery and charger for $300. With the 90wh batt you'll get about 5 hours of recording time. Need more time? Get the 2 90wh and simultaneous charger pack for $725. Either way you'll get alot more bang for your buck than if you go the standard IDX or Anton Bauer route.
Sam Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:09 PM   #52
Major Player

I tested my home made 12,000mAH battery on a HD101 on Tuesday night and it powered up fine.

Cost me a bit under $100 to build. Its about a 60WH native 7.2v LiIon JVC mount battery.

http://www.glasseye.com.au/hd101e/battery.htm
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:41 PM   #53
Major Player

That's pretty cool Guy. Got a couple questions though:

Did you do the solder on the batteries? I understand it's a risky deal soldering batteries and I was wondering what you did (if anything) to protect yourself and the batteries while doing so?

Could you run the same setup with twice as many batteries from the 10 you did, say using 20? And would it need to be in even jumps like that... 5 10 15 20, etc.? Or anything over the 5-10 in pairs would be OK?

Did you ever figure out how long that 5 pairs of 10 gave you on the 101? Or did the owner of the camera snatch it away and yank the Frankenstein battery before it did any damage? hehe ;)

My brother can custom machine a housing for any size extended battery I might come up with (nothing against the gaffers tape, you can wipe your butt and blow your nose with the stuff... I know, more info than you needed). I have 3 of the near worthless stock batteries, and I am itching to chop one up to put it to good use.

JVC if you are reading this don't worry, I'll not try this on my camera, I'll rent one! JOKING.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:07 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
That's pretty cool Guy. Got a couple questions though:

Did you do the solder on the batteries? I understand it's a risky deal soldering batteries and I was wondering what you did (if anything) to protect yourself and the batteries while doing so?
Normal batteries are a problem but these batteries have special tabs on them specifically to either solder or spot weld too. As far as I was concerned it was very safe, normal disclaimers apply, I can't attest to anyone elses soldering ability.

Quote:
Could you run the same setup with twice as many batteries from the 10 you did, say using 20? And would it need to be in even jumps like that... 5 10 15 20, etc.? Or anything over the 5-10 in pairs would be OK?
Sure thing, as long as you kept the electical layout the same and just added more pairs of two batteries in series to other pairs with the pairs connected in parrallel it would just increase the capacity. It will also increase the weight though and I wouldn't advise putting many more on than the 10 as it may become in danger of breaking the mount. It has never seemed to stress my DV301 mount though.

Quote:
Did you ever figure out how long that 5 pairs of 10 gave you on the 101? Or did the owner of the camera snatch it away and yank the Frankenstein battery before it did any damage? hehe ;)
That about sums it up. I don't think he even wanted it on at all, but I was pretty dam sure, after running my DV301 on it many times for extended periods it wasn't going to hurt anything.

Quote:
My brother can custom machine a housing for any size extended battery I might come up with (nothing against the gaffers tape, you can wipe your butt and blow your nose with the stuff... I know, more info than you needed). I have 3 of the near worthless stock batteries, and I am itching to chop one up to put it to good use.
The gaffa was just my temp solution too, but it actually is working so well I really havn't felt the need to replace it yet. Sure I'd like something more solid but the gaffa is doing well so far. The edges are lifting a little, thats it. The HD100 had a little less extra space in the battery mount than my 301 so the gaffa did actually cause it to be a bit more difficult to take the battery on and off due to 'snugness'.

Quote:
JVC if you are reading this don't worry, I'll not try this on my camera, I'll rent one! JOKING.
lol, and I won't say who my friend was!
Old May 4th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #55
Major Player

Well it's worth a try.

I prefer weight on the rear of this camera, a little more than even the IDX combo has now would be fine. I was thinking more in terms of a long life battery for when the camera is on the sticks for extended periods of time. And, sometimes a power source is just not within range. I wonder how long a 10 or 16 or even 20 battery setup would gain me in actual record time? That's the real question.

And as for the setup on the camera, It could be machined with a quick-release two piece mount that mounts in the same location as the IDX and A/B batteries. He's building a dual G2 wireless mic mount that goes behind the IDX combo right now, very cool little setup that can handle 2-3 shoe mounted items (in my case the G2's mounted sideways). I needed the shoe on top for the Lite Panel, and it left my mic receivers without a home.
RED ONE #977
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #56
Major Player

Sam, thanks very much for your recommendation of http://batteries4broadcast.com/ . I just sent them an email asking about the different charger combos. Good prices and seems like a reliable company. The easy-to-navigate site is the best part.

I have a few questions on the mounting plates. What's the difference if any? I would assume the variety of batteries you can buy will be different, but if you were just going to go with the 3rd party option like Batteries4Broadcast, I would guess there's not a lot of difference.

Actually on B&H I couldn't find any other mounts for the HD-100, so I guess that soves that question for now. Here's where I've been looking:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...s=&ci=3720&ac=

Anyone else find a good battery solution? I'm not about to frankenstein my own anytime soon. The electricity portions of my science classes never really hit home for me. ;-)
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #57
Major Player

I'd estimate my existing battery would get close to 4 hours as a static camera (no power zoom or lcd etc), and any increase in capacity would be pretty linear with run time.

Good luck with a bracket, make sure you show it if you make it.
Old May 4th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #58
Major Player

I would like to see around 6-8 hours (maybe 4 with a lot of LCD use) I never use the rocker and instead control zoom off the lens. A nice fat battery setup would be great, more so at that low of a price for raw materials.

And yes, once the Mic/Receiver mount is done being fabricated... maybe a battery now too, I'll post it for sure either way. We are considering doing a few of the custom mounts for sale, it would be a good addition to the IDX kit since it mounts right into it.

That reminds me, I need to tell my brother what thread size to use to tap into the side of that IDX kit... does anyone know what size thread that is (x2)on the IDX metal bracket?
RED ONE #977
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:29 AM   #59
Regular Crew

I got my Anton Bauer kit today from expandore.com and I love it, really recommended!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #60
Regular Crew

i've heard that you're not allowed to take anton batteries on board an airplane. something to do with the hazardous materials in the batteries.
Yoochul Chong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems