Battery Recommendation For GY-HD100U - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 7th, 2005, 05:28 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Cheap Batteries

Here is a simple solution, which we have worked out for the JVCHD100 camera. This camera has a DC input which needs
a 7.2 volts input ( today is my day off here in Dubai, so could be wrong but will check in the studio tommorow), One of our guys is a electronic techy, he has made a small electronic step down, and we connect one of our standard 12 volt batteries belt packs as well as bricks with 4pin connectors.
A 12 10amp hour battery last about 3 hours. Total cost less than US$50 to make the adapter/converter. This is a simple job, just insure that you have the rigth polarity on the input jacl. We have anton bauer for our DVCpro which we can also
use but have given up has no adapters seem to be available for sale anywhere. So go guys solve the battery
problem, its cheap,now and works.
Yusuf Thakur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:35 AM   #17
Major Player

I've already made one of those myself however the problem remains of being teathered to the body by the belt. I can power my converter either from my GEL cell belt or my VMount belt, but either way it is a pain to walk away from the camera on a tripod, I've neally pulled my camera over set up like that, very close call.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yes I agree

But we must all find ways to work till there is a perfect solution, I generally mount the pack on myself when shooting hand held (which is very very rare Wildlife long lenses) But for all tripod work we put the pack on to the tripod itself just extend the belt and clip it on.
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #19
Major Player

Well, but if you do it that way, you can't read out the battery-life that's still in the battery....
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Why

You constantly frame, check,shoot etc while filming, so monitoring is very much there both in the viewfinder and LCD, and it shows all battery life though not as accurate.
This is a solution not the solution. Till we reach battery nirvana.
Old October 8th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #21
Contributor

I'm not sure if it's correct but a tech told me gel cells were not great for cameras, they are designed for continuous recharging situations (like burglar alarms) not recharge/discharge situations like camera shooting. I can't recall whether he was saying they were actually not good for the camera.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 07:08 AM   #22
Major Player

They are pretty common for people to use to power on camera lights. They take a while to charge, but seem to handle discharge and recharge ok. They are pretty cheap too, but they are heavy.
Old October 8th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Lead Acid and Nicads

We have used both 12 Volts Lead Acid and Nicads for over 7 years, on Beta SP cameras, and with a Step down for the one of the first DV cameras a 10 year old Panasonic AGEZ, 3 chip camera. Both these cameras still work though now days we hardly use them. The battries have been replaced a number of times in the last ten years, but the cameras still work. I hope this helps.
Old October 9th, 2005, 09:46 AM   #24
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf Thakur
We have used both 12 Volts Lead Acid and Nicads for over 7 years, on Beta SP cameras, and with a Step down for the one of the first DV cameras a 10 year old Panasonic AGEZ, 3 chip camera. Both these cameras still work though now days we hardly use them. The battries have been replaced a number of times in the last ten years, but the cameras still work. I hope this helps.
That's fine but lead acid and nicad are totally different technologies - good to know that both worked for you. I agree that the only real problem with lead acids is their excessive weight.

So you're saying you had no electronic problems with the BetaSP over 7 years of field use - well done!
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Lead Acid and Nicad

Yes I do know they are different, If you asking was there any problems due to battery usage none I know till now, ever had
problems of electronic kind, yes due to one the roughest drives in the back of an army truck for 150 KM in the Khazak desert at night. The VTR section would not work. Used the Panasonic AGEZ for the next 15 days. The Beta was repaired and was is still used and works. This is a Ikegami 390 with a
Sony PVV1 back. Threw away six Sony NP1 batteries, about two years back and bought 4 Swift NP1 replacements. We still have a two five year old Lead Acid Batteries, which still work and are used regularly. On the pansonic I have only used the Lead Acid with a 7.2 step down, for the last five years. The camera has never gone down, its serviced regularly. The secret is simple we have a cardinal rule, when we shoot in the desert, or at sea especially wildlife. One has to clean all our cameras, the moment you finish shoot everyday, before you shower,eat or sleep.
Half the problems we have with gear is negligence, I have seen gear caked with dirt, but used day in and day out till it just stops working.
Old October 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #26
Major Player

the fact is all batteries provide a DC power supply, so as long as the battery can output the voltage and current the camera needs the camera will be as happy as a pig in mud ;)
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Anton Bauer plates now shipping?

Hey all,
I ordered a gold mount plate for the HD 100u from EVS several weeks ago, I received word from Fed EX that my order is in route...
Mel Namnama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #28
New Boot

3 hour battery for JVC GY HD 100 DSM7274

Hi

Just to let you know, with the help of JVC Pro, we are making a 52Wh Li-ion battery that will power a GY-HD100 camera for 3 hours.

The battery will sit off the back of the camera by about 25mm ( 1")
It can also be charged on the cameras supplied charger unit. It will also have a socket for a DC upper to power a Firestore. We are also making a rear mounting Firestore bracket for this camera.

Details are on our website, www.dsmpower.tv a photo will be there later this week.

Re SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries. For todays cameras with tiny electronic components and micro thin copper circiuts the slightest amount of acid tracking along the cables and accross copper circuits can cause camera failure. Even the best SLA batteries have vents to stop them blowing up in an over charge or high discharge situation and it has been known on several occasions to track along the positive line...... If you do go the SLA way, use a cyclic type not a standby type and don't use a car or motorcycle charger, these will gas the battery, use a dedicated cyclic SLA charger.

From 30 years of making batteries for Film TV and Video equipment Ni-Cd is the only DIY option. Its probably the cheapest as you can use just 6 cells and use a cheap 7.2V model racing car charger unit !!
David Martland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #29
Major Player

I've taken delivery on the Anton Bauer back and use it with a Dionic 90. It adds welcome weight to the back end and gives me several hours. It also has options to add a wireless receptacle on the side and a clip for a firestore pocket on the back according to the print info they sent with the adapter.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:01 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Got my gold mount today.

Looks like Warren has one too. I finally received mine today after being on backorder for a month. So I guess they do exist. Haven't got a chance to use it yet, but it looks like any gold mount. It has a power tap on it for all your accessories. I'm gonna have to charge up the old ProFormers. I'm thinking I should get at least 1.5 to 2 hrs outta each one of these babies. Im probably gonna need a dionic or two later.
Ian E. Pearson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems