Battery Recommendation For GY-HD100U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 5th, 2005, 06:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Battery Recommendation For GY-HD100U

Is there anyone who can recommend long lasting batteries for the HD100U (JVC) since it appears the standard JVC battery sucks! (like 40 min).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Brian
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Just about all of the industry-standard professional battery solutions are adaptable to the HD100. There are a couple of different battery-mount brackets you can buy (for instance, one from IDX and one from Anton/Bauer so far) that will allow you to mount a pro battery on the HD100.

You'll want to look into Anton/Bauer, Aspen, IDX and even VariZoom (as they are now into the battery business too these days -- see http://www.varizoom.com/battery/li-ion_kit.html for an example). Expect to pay about $1000 for a couple of pro-grade batts and charger.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Chris. very help info. Will check them out.

=)

Brian
Old October 5th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #4
Tourist

We were looking into this a few days ago. Working out the actual power consumption of the HD100 is a bit tricky in the first place. Two different JVC documents had different specs - one stated 14W the other 17W. Either way the standard (2.8Ahrs) battery only lasts between 40 and 60 minutes. Even the high cap optional accessory is only 3.8Ahrs. JVC must really want you to invest the pro battery options; and it does make sense.

JVC don't make batteries, in the same way that they don't make lenses. It's sensible therefore to let someone else do it. This keeps JVC's R&D costs down which in turn keeps the cost of the camera down. It also means you end up with a better product.

The other point is that good batteries are expensive, and JVC are selling the HD100 to people who probably already have pro batteries that they'll want to use with the HD100.

everyone's a winner!
Mark Glanville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Glanville
We were looking into this a few days ago. Working out the actual power consumption of the HD100 is a bit tricky in the first place. Two different JVC documents had different specs - one stated 14W the other 17W. Either way the standard (2.8Ahrs) battery only lasts between 40 and 60 minutes. Even the high cap optional accessory is only 3.8Ahrs. JVC must really want you to invest the pro battery options; and it does make sense.

JVC don't make batteries, in the same way that they don't make lenses. It's sensible therefore to let someone else do it. This keeps JVC's R&D costs down which in turn keeps the cost of the camera down. It also means you end up with a better product.

The other point is that good batteries are expensive, and JVC are selling the HD100 to people who probably already have pro batteries that they'll want to use with the HD100.

everyone's a winner!
Thanks Mark,

Which batteries did you find that were long lasting and workable for your HD100U? I would like soemthing that will last at least 4 hours each and then get 2 witha charger.
Old October 5th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Gold Mount

I purchased a Gold mount for this camera(the adapter that allows you to use Anton Bauer batteries.) I just received word from EVS that it is now gonna be on back order for another month at least. I dont know if its just not actually been released yet, or if I'm just low on the waiting list.
Ian E. Pearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:15 AM   #7
Major Player

4 hours might be pushing it a little, but a 90WH VMount might do it depending on your standby usage.

If you must have 4 hours you'll probably need one of the 160WH batteries but it might add too much weight to the back (might be fine though).

As a guide, a 90WH battery does about 3.5 hours of near continuous shooting on my 20W DV500 (with lots of zoom usage, shooting football)
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E. Pearson
I purchased a Gold mount for this camera(the adapter that allows you to use Anton Bauer batteries.) I just received word from EVS that it is now gonna be on back order for another month at least. I dont know if its just not actually been released yet, or if I'm just low on the waiting list.
I ordered two AB gold mounts, 4 88Whr batteries and chargers for our two HD100s about 4 weeks ago. Everything has shipped except for the gold mounts.
My dealer called me today and told me Anton Bauer told him October 20th. My dealer also told me I shouldn't hold my breath. (He's been an AB dealer for many years.)

I would have gone with the JVC/IDX V-mount, but the impression last month was that the AB mounts would be available faster. Now I'm not sure what to think.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #9
Major Player

My dealer, Abelcinetech, said they had received a shipment of AB mounts last month, problem is, none of them worked. Apparently the plastic mount was not quite right and would not fit. They even tried to fix them in their shop to no avail. So it appears AB did not have enough time with a prototype to get it right. No word on when the fix will be shipped. Has anyone received one yet?

Dave B
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood
4 hours might be pushing it a little, but a 90WH VMount might do it depending on your standby usage.

If you must have 4 hours you'll probably need one of the 160WH batteries but it might add too much weight to the back (might be fine though).

As a guide, a 90WH battery does about 3.5 hours of near continuous shooting on my 20W DV500 (with lots of zoom usage, shooting football)
I actually was told by my dealer that they had 4 hour bateeries, but they could be blowing smoke up my ass. I still got tow, since they were only $99 each and he assured me they worked with the HD100U 4 hours each. Time will tell. I also got an adapter which will hopefully help. I probably gonna need a few more batteries once I get going.

Duke
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #11
Trustee

$99 for a 4 hour battery? Stock mount battery?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
$99 for a 4 hour battery? Stock mount battery?
It sounded too good to be true for me too, but he assured me those were 4 hour batteries, as he was aware of the short life of the standard batteries. I'm still learning so I hope he didn't take me for a ride, or he will have to deal with the wrath of me =) THey will go right back to him if they are not what he sold me. Should get them by next week so we will see.
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:11 PM   #13
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Barwood

I bought the GlobalMediaPro 95wH batts - still haven't had a chance to check them out on continuous shooting (just haven't shot that long yet). The actual AB Dionic's are heavier (extra electronics), but I actually find the 95wH GMPs are a little on the light side for perfect balance, so maybe the 160 wH would be just right.

I believe you'll get 4 hours continuous out of the 95WH's . Getting the charger and the batts from GMP is a lot cheaper, but be aware - the batteries don't have the fuel electronics built into them, therefore you will not get the battery fuel indicator on the viewfinder - just the straight voltage reading.

The GMP batteries do have a 4 LED array on the battery indicating remaining charge FWIW. They are a little over 1/3 the price of the Dionics (at least in Australia). Their charger is simultaeneous 2 channel and does have a 14.4 supply for broadcast cam's. The Titan charger in the AB kit (if you buy that) is a neat little single channel charger that will mount directly to your camera and allow you to run off mains (but the fitting is only IEC standard so I'd be worried about it falling out on location)

The IDX solution looks nice as well but the adapter was too expensive compared to the AB, but it does seem to be available where many in the US can't get hold of the AB. The overall kit is comparable to the AB (more expensive, but better dual channel sequential charger and 2 x 70WH batteries as opposed to 1 x Dionic 90WH).
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #14
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
It sounded too good to be true for me too, but he assured me those were 4 hour batteries, as he was aware of the short life of the standard batteries. I'm still learning so I hope he didn't take me for a ride, or he will have to deal with the wrath of me =) THey will go right back to him if they are not what he sold me. Should get them by next week so we will see.
Is it the same basic size and shape of the stock battery?

Be aware that the HD100 uses the same batteries as JVC's consumer cameras, but its power draw is much, much higher. So a battery like their 3500mah may last four hours when powering a little palmcorder, but it'll last 40 minutes in the HD100.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:23 PM   #15
Major Player

If they are the 428 or 438 battiers you won't get very far on them. Read the fine print on the battery packaging which defines the conditions they claim '4hours' under.

Basically they will be 4 hours on the tiny little consumer JVC cameras only. B&H sell the JVC 428 for about US$79+taxs

"but be aware - the batteries don't have the fuel electronics built into them, therefore you will not get the battery fuel indicator on the viewfinder"
I think this is standard for VMount. MY DV500 only shows the battery voltage in the VF as well and I use Sony and SWIT batteries. Get to know the battery though. My Sonys turn the camera off at 10.6v, my SWIT switch off at about 12v. Do a single test and remember the results. Also note, after 14.4v, the voltage drops much quicker than from the starting 16v down to 14.4v.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems