Zeiss Lenses For HD100U w/ Mini35 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 7th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I'm not sure what kind of lens could possibly rent for $300/day and only cost $8000 to buy?
With the mini35 you will need the fastest lenses possible because of the stop loss.
I would typically rent a prime kit for $300/day consisting of Zeiss Super speed T1.3 with 18mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm. Depending on the film or music video I would also usually rent a 12mm for around $100, and one long lens like a 135mm for around $100.
So I'm looking at $500/day for a very versatile prime kit. To buy this quality of primes I would guess you would be looking at around $250,000.
This is why so few production companies actually own equipment. It doesn't make sense to carry the burden of your own lenses and insurance, when there are rental houses like Panavision and Clairmont who maintain the lenses in pristine condition, and have a large variety depending on your individual needs on the day.

Don't you live in LA? You probably have access to the largest concentration of DPs anywhere in the world! :) Subscribe to Amercian Cinematographer!

Tim
I'm sorry Tim. I meant just general equipment for rent, not necessarily lenses. However, there are lenses that cost $100 per day, but I guess they alos cost $50K to buy. Yes, I do live in LA, but I also think that may work against me since they are used to much higher pay that i can afford. Time will tell.

Last edited by Brian Duke; October 7th, 2005 at 09:06 AM.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems