Component capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 7th, 2005, 12:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Component capture

Hi

I am figuring out whether to buy the HD100 or the new Panasonic HVX 200. If I can find an affordable way to capture component out on my windows based laptop or to a hard drive then I will probably go JVC. Any ideas?

Thanks

Trevor
Trevor Allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 05:41 AM   #2
Major Player

HD or SD.

SD is pretty easy, something as cheap as Liquid Edition Pro can capture uncompressed analgue comonent as long as your HDD can keep up.

HD is more difficult, and I'm not in the best postition to give you advise.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 08:22 AM   #3
Trustee

There is no way for a current laptop to capture uncompressed HD at this point. Not only is there is device for a laptop to capture this way even on the market but you would need at the very least a fast 4 drive raid-0 to even start to think of capturing uncompressed HD.

Now if somebody would make a HD interface card for a Apple laptop you could always capture live as DVCPROHD the exact same format that the HVX200 uses. DVCPROHD may even work on your internal hard drive although that might be pushing it a little bit.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

component capture

[QUOTE=Trevor Allin]Hi

"I am figuring out whether to buy the HD100 or the new Panasonic HVX 200. If I can find an affordable way to capture component out on my windows based laptop or to a hard drive then I will probably go JVC. Any ideas?"

Trevor:
The JVC HD100 does not output a live component signal, it just outputs a component (analog) signal played back via tape.

I think the only signal you can capture live is via firewire, either HDV or DV, but not HD. If you really want to capture an HD signal, you will have to wait for either the Pannie 200 or the Canon.

You can downconvert the HDV signal into DV or virtually any miniDV format, or capture the HDV video, via firewire. They are all 3.6mb/sec, using the DV25 codec.

I could be wrong about the live analog component output; I'm having a hard time reading the manual and figuring out what the various settings are for and do. :) but I've only been able to see a component signal via tape playback.
BT Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

The JVC definitely outputs a live component signal. You can hook it up to a monitor and watch it live. If you had the $20,000 worth of computer hardware and RAID drives set up, you could capture that signal.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #6
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
Hi

I am figuring out whether to buy the HD100 or the new Panasonic HVX 200. If I can find an affordable way to capture component out on my windows based laptop or to a hard drive then I will probably go JVC. Any ideas?
As a practical matter, it's not gonna happen. Capturing live uncompressed high-def footage is not something anyone's going to be doing to a laptop or to a hard drive -- you're talking about a data rate of nearly 200 megabytes per second! That's more than the PCI bus could even handle. It takes a dedicated RAID of hard disks, around 8 of them, to handle that task.
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

component capture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
The JVC definitely outputs a live component signal. You can hook it up to a monitor and watch it live. If you had the $20,000 worth of computer hardware and RAID drives set up, you could capture that signal.
Hmmm. I have a JVC HD100. I have a component monitor. I have it connected. I do not get a picture, unless I switch it to VCR and playback a tape. I can see the composite picture just fine, when I switch the ouput to composite, but not the component.

Can you provide some more info on what settings I might not have correct?

btw, I do actually have the $20,000 (or more) hardware and RAID. But for now, I'd just like to see the component analog picture on my large Sony component monitor. Or my small Sony component monitor.

thanks,
Old October 7th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

Well, I don't know... I've got an HD100, and I connect the cables to my component TV, and the live picture shows up just fine... every HD100 I've seen at trade shows has also been connected via the component cables to monitors, for viewing the live output. It definitely works...

So there's either something in your menus, or in your cables, or in your monitor, that's not set right. But the capability is most definitely there.
Old October 7th, 2005, 11:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Green
Well, I don't know... I've got an HD100, and I connect the cables to my component TV, and the live picture shows up just fine... every HD100 I've seen at trade shows has also been connected via the component cables to monitors, for viewing the live output. It definitely works...

So there's either something in your menus, or in your cables, or in your monitor, that's not set right. But the capability is most definitely there.
Barry, is your camera set to DV? Or HDV?
I can see the component picture if the camera is set to record DV.
I want to have the camera set to record HDV-720P/30 and monitor the picture via the component output.
I can only see a component picture if either I am playing back an HDV tape, or the camera is set to record DV.

thanks
Old October 7th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #10
Trustee

Check your menu's for 'output terminal' It is set to composite instead of component or auto.

Check page 54 of the manual for details...
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #11
Regular Crew

component capture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Check your menu's for 'output terminal' It is set to composite instead of component or auto.

Check page 54 of the manual for details...
As I said in previous posts...

Analog output works fine in HDV if set to composite output.
Analog output works fine in DV if set to component or composite output.
Analog output doesn't work in HDV when set to auto or component, which is the one combo I'm interested in.

thanks,
Old October 7th, 2005, 11:50 PM   #12
Wrangler

I tested this myself tonight on a component NTSC monitor and it looks like the HD100 doesn't downconvert 720P to NTSC for component out. They don't mention this in the manual - I just looked. It is too bad. It does downconvert to NTSC or PAL on the composite output though.

Tim
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I tested this myself tonight on a component NTSC monitor and it looks like the HD100 doesn't downconvert 720P to NTSC for component out. They don't mention this in the manual - I just looked. It is too bad. It does downconvert to NTSC or PAL on the composite output though.

Tim
thanks Tim. That's what I was afraid of. I had hoped it was just operator error though.

I hope you add that to your wishlist.
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:03 AM   #14
Barry Wan Kenobi

Ah, perhaps that's the issue? I had it connected to an HDTV, not a standard-def component monitor...
Old October 8th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #15
Trustee

And I assumed the same as Barry. I though you were connecting to HDTV. Sorry..
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems