DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Firmware Tracking Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/52647-firmware-tracking-thread.html)

Steve Mullen October 12th, 2005 10:27 AM

Firmware Tracking Thread

Since some believ that newer formware helps/cures SSE and/or they believe some future version will cure SSE -- it makes sense to have one Thread where folks can track the situation. Perhaps Chis can make this "sticky."

1. For those joining this Thread -- how do you find your firmware number?

2. What were the version number(s) of the first PAL units?

3. What were the version number(s) of the first NTSC units?

4. What are the version number(s) of the lastest PAL units?

5. What changes, if any, did upgrading to this version number(s) make in terms of SSE?

6. Has your PAL unit stopped showing ALL signes of SSE?

7. What are the version number(s) of the lastest NTSC units?

8. What changes, if any, did upgrading to this version number(s) make in terms of SSE?

9. Has your PAL unit stopped showing ALL signes of SSE?

It's my bias that no comments about "possible" firmware updates be made. Nor, any comments about JVC postive or negative. Let's keep this a pure database!

Steve Mullen October 12th, 2005 03:43 PM

Reading through the posts, it looks like there were 1.12 and 1.14 releases.

The latest appears to be 1.17.

According to one post, 1.17 fully solved SSE in PAL units. Alternately, it is possible (likely?) the rumored user simply hasn't provoked SSE yet. This alternative is supported by the posting that 1.17 does not fully solve SSE in NTSC units.

Of course, there has been no claim by JVC that ANY firmware update will fully solve SSE. Equally interesting is that I haven't seen a post that NTSC units have actually been improved by an upgrade to 1.17.

Without such reports, there is no way to know if the newer firmware versions have anything to do with SSE. They cound be fixes to other functions. (For example, I initially was only getting a single channel of PCM audio. Perhaps that was fixed -- or turned off.)

There are a lot of assumptions being made by many of the posters that render the entire "firmware" progress path questionable. Nevertheless, it's good to keep track of the updates. Even more important, is evidence that such updates decrease/cure SSE.

Brian Duke October 12th, 2005 03:54 PM

How do I find what the firmware is on my HD100U? Is it in the menu? I looked but no luck thus far.

Duke

Barry Green October 12th, 2005 04:35 PM

You have to use a special combination of button presses in order to bring up the service menu. It's something that is generally discouraged, because changing things in the service menu is really something that shouldn't be done by anyone other than a technician. So JVC doesn't publish the sequence necessary to enter the menu, as it's reserved for service personnel.

Steve Mullen October 12th, 2005 04:48 PM

Well that's a really helpful posting!

You bring up the issue of firmware as relevent to SSE, but then refuse to tell folks how they can check their firmware because "JVC doesn't want folks to access the information."

What's the point of your postings about firmware? Suppose YOU find V1.1728467 fixes SSE.

What good is that going to do someone who wants to check the firmware before buying? How about someone who wants to know if they need an upgrade?

Not exactly my idea of a Community Service.

Tim Dashwood October 12th, 2005 05:11 PM

Steve,

It isn't the firmware information that JVC doesn't want everyone to access, it is the many other "below the hood" parameters that can also be changed in the "ADVANCED MENU."
A JVC engineer only showed me the button combination after I promised I would not publicly post the method on the internet. It is mostly for the protection of the end consumer. The ADVANCED MENU doesn't seem anywhere as "dangerous" as the actual SERVICE MENU, but it would be possible to screw up the internal pixel mapping if the PIXEL COMPENSATION procedure was executed repeatedly or without warming the CCDs up first.
Those with a bad pixel have been told the sequence by JVC service technicians on a 1 to 1 basis. The firmware readouts just happen to also be in that menu.

You should just call your contact at JVC if you want to know the button combo. I'm sure they will happily tell it you.

Tim

Barry Green October 12th, 2005 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
What good is that going to do someone who wants to check the firmware before buying? How about someone who wants to know if they need an upgrade?

Not exactly my idea of a Community Service.

Er -- why don't you ask your friends at JVC why they didn't provide that service then? I'm not the guy keeping them from knowing what's in there, I'm just respecting the wishes of those who said "do not reveal this".

If you want to break that confidence, go ahead and ask JVC for the sequence and then post it all over the place if you want. But I won't. I was asked not to reveal it, so I don't. But I didn't make the rule about not being able to see your firmware version without going into the advanced service menu, JVC did.

If you've got a gripe it's with JVC, not with me.

Steve Mullen October 12th, 2005 07:31 PM

You missed my point -- I'm asking HOW folks are going to be helped with this information when they go to buy or bring one home?

Barry Green October 12th, 2005 11:11 PM

The procedure to discover the serial number is not mine to reveal.

The "community service" performed by making that post is to inform people that this is not something that they can look up on their own. It is something that is reserved for the dealer to do. Digging through the menus will not reveal the answer.

I was answering the question Brian asked -- he said "how do I check?" and I said "you can't -- JVC doesn't put that info in the menu." The dealer can check it, but the individual purchaser is not given that info.

Guy Barwood October 13th, 2005 12:52 AM

ah, point 9 is redundant to point 6.

John Mitchell October 13th, 2005 10:43 AM

I don't believe the latest firmware (1.17) has "solved" SSE especially in PAL units. Like I said in another thread many are still being rejected - in fact I was specifically informed that the latest bunch to hit Aus were in some cases only exhibiting SSE in 25/50 mode and not in 24/30/60 and these units were all 1.17.

I am still led to believe by JVC that its all down to how well the camera is set up in the factory - and at the moment they are actually concentrating on solving the problem for the US market.

Steve - this thread is a good idea but obviously if we can't post the button combo to the menu then it is pointless.

It seems that at least 4 or 5 people on this forum know the combination (it was sent to me in a Word document!) but it really is up to JVC to send it wider. I wouldn't like to be the one who voided anyone's warranty.