DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Why knock the JVC for CA? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/52661-why-knock-jvc-ca.html)

Thomas Smet October 12th, 2005 03:20 PM

Why knock the JVC for CA?

Why are people knocking the HD100 for it's CA when they didn't even make the lens. The lens is made by Fujinon.

At the same time CA isn't just an issue with HD.

I sometimes shoot with a guy who has 3 DSR-300's, 1 DSR-500, and a JVC DV5000. I was recently shooting with his JVC 5000 camera with a 14x 1/2" Canon lens and it had CA up a wazzu. Focus one way and there was a green fringe. Focus the other way and it was purple. It was actually pretty bad and now that Barry Green has pointed out this issue with the HD100 I see it all the time on footage shot with the DV5000. This either means JVC can't make cameras to save their lives or the cheaper manual lenses suck to the point where they are almost useless. We have also noticed the image from the newer JVC DV5000 camera is softer than that of the SONY DSR-300 which is almost 5 years old now. We always figured JVC isn't as good with cameras but maybe the lens that comes with the DV5000 package is just as bad as the one on the HD100. I really wanted my friend to do a test to switch the lens from his SONY 1/2" cameras to the JVC to see if that helped but he didn't want to mess around at the time.

If a SD camera like the DV5000 can have CA from a crappy lens it makes sense why the HD100 will have this issue with it's free lens.

Barry Green October 12th, 2005 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
or the cheaper manual lenses suck to the point where they are almost useless.

I vote for that one...

Quote:

We have also noticed the image from the newer JVC DV5000 camera is softer than that of the SONY DSR-300 which is almost 5 years old now.
Same chipset. I'd say the lens is the difference.

Quote:

I really wanted my friend to do a test to switch the lens from his SONY 1/2" cameras to the JVC to see if that helped but he didn't want to mess around at the time.
You should though. Put the JVC's lens on the Sony, and the Sony's lens on the JVC, and you'll probably notice a marked difference in the footage, on both cameras.

Lou Bruno October 12th, 2005 05:50 PM

There is a FLARE set-up in the 5000 menu......that should help.
I have the new JVC GY DV5100......a whole different picture. Sharp with punch to the picture....I am sure the Fujinon 20X helps too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
Why are people knocking the HD100 for it's CA when they didn't even make the lens. The lens is made by Fujinon.

At the same time CA isn't just an issue with HD.

I sometimes shoot with a guy who has 3 DSR-300's, 1 DSR-500, and a JVC DV5000. I was recently shooting with his JVC 5000 camera with a 14x 1/2" Canon lens and it had CA up a wazzu. Focus one way and there was a green fringe. Focus the other way and it was purple. It was actually pretty bad and now that Barry Green has pointed out this issue with the HD100 I see it all the time on footage shot with the DV5000. This either means JVC can't make cameras to save their lives or the cheaper manual lenses suck to the point where they are almost useless. We have also noticed the image from the newer JVC DV5000 camera is softer than that of the SONY DSR-300 which is almost 5 years old now. We always figured JVC isn't as good with cameras but maybe the lens that comes with the DV5000 package is just as bad as the one on the HD100. I really wanted my friend to do a test to switch the lens from his SONY 1/2" cameras to the JVC to see if that helped but he didn't want to mess around at the time.

If a SD camera like the DV5000 can have CA from a crappy lens it makes sense why the HD100 will have this issue with it's free lens.

John Mitchell October 14th, 2005 04:29 AM

Yep - being involved in stills as a hobby and video for a living, I can assure that in both modes the lens is the most critical component - just as in a hi-fi system the speakers are by far the most important component.

My 35 - 70 Nikon lens that came with my original Nikon is sharper and clearer by a noticeable margin over the stock zoom on the D70. However the stock zoom is 18 - 70 so its more useful in the field.

I think I'd step short of saying the JVC's stock lens sucks - its built to a price that's all. I expect the 13x will make a noticeable quality difference - at a price.

Thomas Smet October 14th, 2005 08:14 AM

I agree the lens sucks but we cannot exactly blame JVC for that. I'm not starting a love fest for JVC but we should all be yelling at Fujinon for the lens and not JVC. JVC has basically given us a lens for almost free. Usually in the pro video world all lenses must be bought seperate from the camera. For a while before the HD100 out I thought this was going to be the case. I was actually surprised when I found out the lens comes with the camera.

At this point I would say the lens is really no worse than a lower end SD lens on a pro 1/2" or 2/3" camera. Sometime I even think the lens that comes with the HD100 may just be a hacked 1/2" SD lens.