JVC GY-HD100U....battery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 5th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Major Player

JVC GY-HD100U....battery

Hi,

I am looking for a battery that lasts more than the 20 min factory battery. What's a good one to get from a trusted source.

Thank you.
Old February 5th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: JVC GY-HD100U....battery

I've got 8 that I bought from ebay, and they all last at least 50 minutes, a couple over an hour. No idea of the brand, but they were cheap too!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

We use the Anton Bauer Dionic 90 system on an HD100U and get over 4 hrs run time on each battery. You will need a Gold Plate adapter for the HD100 (I saw one on eBay the other day for around $100), Dionic 90 batteries and a charger. You might vwant to consider this system.
Good Luck,
Old February 12th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #4
Austinite

Going for the battery back is a good thing. Back can be Anton Bauer or Vmount. I think we have the back that will take two of the stock batteries you have. It's used. Probably sell for $99 and that includes GROUND shipping to get it to you. We are a camera dealer and DVinfo sponsor.
Phil Goetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Great idea, Phil. This should be substantially less expensive than a Dionic 90 system, if it delivers a desired run time.
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:04 AM   #6
Major Player

Sorry for being so late getting back to the replies. Thanks to all that have answered. I appreciate it.

Paul, do you recall which trustworthy ebay dealer you bought from?

I went on ebay and looked at some batteries but the battery charge prongs are different from what the sellers claim is the replacement battery. The ones for sale have 4 prongs but my battery has 3.

I would like to get the battery back to hold the 2. That is a great option. Right now trying to keep costs down because I need some other items for a shoot. So might go with an extra 1 or 2 batteries for now and then buy a plate. Phil, I will get back with you when ready for a plate to see if you still have it in stock.

Thank you!

Last edited by Lisa Bennett; May 13th, 2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: added info
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I went back through the records and I bought them in 2012 from an ebay seller in China/Hong Kong called powerbizsale, but the transaction is too old for ebay to list it - and they don't appear to exist in a search - however I found this one
Battery for JVC GR-D200US GR-D30US GR-DVL367EK GR-DVL120U GY-HD110 GR-DVL107U | eBay
which looks like the same item from the labels. - 2200mAh the same as mine - and quite cheap. is this any help.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Wow, thanks Paul for going thru so much trouble to send me this info. Much appreciated!

Hope to switch over to a plate but might have to be after this next shoot. Will check into it though Phil and Kennedy.

Thanks so much for all of the help.
Old May 13th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #9
Trustee

I’m a little confused with the reference numbers in that eBay ad.

According to page 7 of the original GY-HM100U “Instructions” (a.k.a., Operating Manual), the cam battery specified has a model number of BN-VF823U.

If the manual is from when the cam was introduced perhaps the battery model may have been changed. However, it is listed on the JVC web site with this number and here is the link to the page: JVC USA Store - BN-VF823USM - 4.5HRS BATTERY PACK

And it does have four contacts.

Maybe the model number for the European batteries are different? Anyway, the BN-VF823U can be found on the US eBay site.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I have a Gold Mount on mine and an AB Hytron 140 (IIRC it's NOT Lithium Ion). I think it weighs more than the camera! It will run a 75W lamp on-camera where the Dionic will not. And it runs - well, sort of forever! I power a lot of stuff from it at times - maybe two or three cameras, a recorder, what have you.and it's still going strong after 2 hours of recording.

I still really like the JVC even if it is only 720.

Probably not what you want if you're concerned about weight, but it sure balances the camera nicely on the shoulder.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I have a 2200Mah battery for my HM100 and believe me, I never got 4.5 hours of recording/run time with it. 2.5 was more like it but for what I was using it for that was sufficient. It was a B camera used at weddings. I was only running the camera off of the battery nothing else.

As for the ABs a few years ago when I was using the Hytrons (120s) to run my Sony cameras, DSR 250 and DSR 300 series I could barely lift the things since the batteries weighed in at a healthy 5.5 pounds and I carried 3 in my bag plus one on the camera. IT hurt just to think about carrying the bag. I finally went to Dionic 90s at a nice and comfy 1.7 pounds each and I could power the camera, 2 wireless receivers and my AB Ultralight with up to a 75 watt bulb. Not saying it would power it for a long time but I generally got about 75 to 90 minutes using my DSR300. On the 250 (it only pulled 12 watts) I could get over 2 hours and with a smaller bulb like a 40 or even a 25 I could get 4 hours or more depending on light usage.

On my JVC HM700 I use IDX for 2 reasons...I sold all of my AB stuff and the previous owner of the 700 (A good friend of mine) had used IDX on his HD 100 and switched it over to the 700 when he got it. When I bought it from him all I did was get a Bescor 95W V-lock to go with the 3 68W batteries and I was good to go for the day. The receiver pulls next to nothing and the LED light I use is powered separately.

That set up works (works) like a champ for me and I was and am quite happy with it much like I was with the Sony/AB combo. Of course now that I'm retired and not shooting I look at that stuff and am wondering why I haven't sold it yet. Hey everyone I got stuff for sale! I gotta post it real soon!

Last edited by Don Bloom; May 16th, 2015 at 05:09 AM.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I retired once. 20 years later I'm still working full time. I guess I'll retire when they bury me.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 06:28 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi Don,

Do I understand that you have battery power for sale that runs the HD100? I'm still looking for battery power. I only have the original 20 minute battery. The ones I saw on ebay have 4 battery contacts but my battery and camera have 3 so have not bought anything yet.

Anyway know why the batteries on ebay have 4 battery contacts but yet specs say its for the JVC GY HD100? Everyone of them I have seen online have 4 contacts but I checked my battery and camera and it has 3.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I have a 2200Mah battery for my HM100 and believe me, I never got 4.5 hours of recording/run time with it. 2.5 was more like it but for what I was using it for that was sufficient. It was a B camera used at weddings. I was only running the camera off of the battery nothing else.

As for the ABs a few years ago when I was using the Hytrons (120s) to run my Sony cameras, DSR 250 and DSR 300 series I could barely lift the things since the batteries weighed in at a healthy 5.5 pounds and I carried 3 in my bag plus one on the camera. IT hurt just to think about carrying the bag. I finally went to Dionic 90s at a nice and comfy 1.7 pounds each and I could power the camera, 2 wireless receivers and my AB Ultralight with up to a 75 watt bulb. Not saying it would power it for a long time but I generally got about 75 to 90 minutes using my DSR300. On the 250 (it only pulled 12 watts) I could get over 2 hours and with a smaller bulb like a 40 or even a 25 I could get 4 hours or more depending on light usage.

On my JVC HM700 I use IDX for 2 reasons...I sold all of my AB stuff and the previous owner of the 700 (A good friend of mine) had used IDX on his HD 100 and switched it over to the 700 when he got it. When I bought it from him all I did was get a Bescor 95W V-lock to go with the 3 68W batteries and I was good to go for the day. The receiver pulls next to nothing and the LED light I use is powered separately.

That set up works (works) like a champ for me and I was and am quite happy with it much like I was with the Sony/AB combo. Of course now that I'm retired and not shooting I look at that stuff and am wondering why I haven't sold it yet. Hey everyone I got stuff for sale! I gotta post it real soon!

Last edited by Lisa Bennett; May 17th, 2015 at 07:05 AM.
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:11 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Lisa,
I'm sorry if I led you to believe I have batteries for the HD series. I don't. I have 2 JVC and 1 off brand battery for the HM100 which is the little brother of the HM 700. It's a small camera and I'm sure the battery contacts are different. I use the IDX V-lock batteries to power my HM700 which of course is the compact fullsize much like your HD100. Same idea from JVC. I think I mentioned the reason I went to the IDX battery system was because my friend that I bought the HM700 from used them to power his HD100 and they came along with the camera.
Sorry for any confusion.
Frankly if I were you, I would find an Anton Bauer battery plate for the HD100 and some off brand 3 stud batteries to power it with (along with a charger of course). I bet 3 90 or 95 watt batteries would power you pretty much all day long. The reason I say off brand is only a cost factor thing otherwise get the real AB DIONIC90s. They're lightweight and give you 90 watts of power.
Just my thoughts.
Again sorry for any confusion.
Old May 17th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #15
Trustee

It’s battery model number confusion issue between two cams with very similar model numbers, the GY HD100U and GY HM100U. Not only that, but the exterior view of the batteries look very similar from the top.

The GY HD100U is a MiniDV cam while the GY HM100U is a cam that was released around January of 2009 and uses memory cards. Since the HD cam uses the MiniDV tapes it will require more power to run the tape transport mechanism which partially explains why the short run time.

As an option, there are places that rebuild batteries; however, it would behove one to be a bit careful in this as there are different techniques for doing this. I’m no expert about this but I know enough to be dangerous. When battery packs are rebuilt they basically use the standard 1.5V battery and solder or “weld” metal strips across the ends to come up with the battery pack voltage. The devil is in the details, as they say, and it’s how the welding is done (and, I might add, with model numbers).

So as not to ruin the battery it takes a very short time to solder or weld the metal strip on so heat isn’t built up in the battery. This is based on just one source that explained it to me so take that into consideration. As they say, “your mileage may vary.”

Just did a quick search for battery rebuilders (or words to that effect) and this one was near the top of the list: Ritter Battery Repair

Reading this ad should give some idea of what is involved and perhaps others on this board may chime in with their experience. Disclaimer: I have no association with the referenced firm and know nothing about them.

Hopefully the explanation about the cam model numbers will clear up the confusion. So, there is nothing wrong with your battery with the three contacts. It was meant to be. In my earlier post I overlooked the difference in the model numbers too.
John Nantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems