Capturing From HD100U to Final Cut Pro 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 14th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Major Player

Capturing From HD100U to Final Cut Pro 5

Hey,

I just finished shooting some footage on my HD100U and I want to import it into FCP5 so I can edit and post it, but having problems. Anyone can provide a easy step by step to import, either as 24p (Which i believe isn't spported yet), or 30. Hope this is the right forum.

Thanks guys

Duke
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #2
Wrangler

For firewire capture:
If you are shooting 720p30, then just use the HDV 720p30 setting in final cut pro. It would be best to do the "easy setup." It works... I have now tested it.

For shooting and digitizing 720p24, the verdict is still out on when Apple will add it to the internal workflow of FCP5 (with automatic pulldown removal.) The impression I got from the sales division at JVC Canada was that a FCP 5.0.3 update should have been released in September - but I don't see it yet! There is no official word from Apple, just official "support" of teh HD100... whatever that means.

It looks like LumiereHD 2.0 will be the best intermediate solution, but they haven't actually released 2.0 yet. According to Frederic, the CEO of LumiereHD, a beta should be released in a few days.

In the meantime, the "free" way to work with your footage via firewire is to digitize with either DVHSCAP from Apple's FW SDK 19, or HDVxDV free trial (30 days I think.)
The interfaces are very simple, don't have logging capabilities, and you won't see a live preview of your footage on the monitor (so use an external.)

Then use MPEG Streamclip from Squared5 to convert the m2t files you captured into any other quicktime format the current version of FCP will understand.
I have been using Apple Intermediate codec with great success. The file sizes are 3 times as large as the original m2t, but seem to be lossless.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
For firewire capture:
If you are shooting 720p30, then just use the HDV 720p30 setting in final cut pro. It would be best to do the "easy setup." It works... I have now tested it.

THANKS!!

Can I still use 720p30 even though I shot in 720p24?

I connected the firewire but I still get "no communication" in the Capture and Log.

Where do you do "Easy setup'? Sorry for my ignorance Tim, but I am still trying to get used to FCP5 and the HD100U.

Thanks
Old October 14th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
THANKS!!

Can I still use 720p30 even though I shot in 720p24?
No. You will have to use DVHSCap or HDVxDV for now.

Quote:
I connected the firewire but I still get "no communication" in the Capture and Log.

Where do you do "Easy setup'? Sorry for my ignorance Tim, but I am still trying to get used to FCP5 and the HD100U.

Thanks
Easy setup is either in the file menu or FinalCutPro menu - I can't remember right now. Just select HDV 720P30.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
No. You will have to use DVHSCap or HDVxDV for now.

Easy setup is either in the file menu or FinalCutPro menu - I can't remember right now. Just select HDV 720P30.
Tim I can't even get FCP5 to recognize the camera. It keeps saying "no communication" or "noi device connected" even though I have connected it with firewire. At least FCP should recognize the camera without playing or transferring footage. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old October 14th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Tim I can't even get FCP5 to recognize the camera. It keeps saying "no communication" or "noi device connected" even though I have connected it with firewire. At least FCP should recognize the camera without playing or transferring footage. Any suggestions?

Thanks
It will only connect if it is in 720P30 mode on the camera, and the HDV/DV switch is set for HDV. If you are playing back 720P24 footage (in VTR mode), it will not connect. FCP5.0.2 doesn't understand what to do with that signal.
I have also been able to digitize a "live" 720P30 signal into FCP 5.0.2 as HDV 720P30 without a problem.

Apple is having another media event on Oct 19 for Apple's "latest Pro Innovations." Maybe they will release a 5.0.3 or maybe 5.1 then?
(Hopefully along with Dual-core / Dual processor G5s and new Powerbooks.)
We'll see.
http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/10/14/nypro/index.php
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems