What lenses could be adapted? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 16th, 2005, 04:18 PM   #1
Contributor

What lenses could be adapted?

What other one third inch lenses might be adapted to work on the HD100?

Guys like Leigh Hubner are looking for alternative wide angle options to the as yet unreleased Fujinon and I found this page at guess where? DVInfo (thanks Chris)

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article58.php

I know some of the Canon XL lenses don't have a manual iris but most of them seem to feature LANC control, but more particuarly the Fuji 12x originally made for the Panasonic AJ-D215 looked interesting.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks John -- the only problem with that 12x Fuji is that it's an SD lens, not HD. The Canon XL's will not be worth converting in my opinion; they are all SD as well, would require a conversion of the XL mount, and there is no LANC jack on the HD100.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #3
Major Player

And on top of that (something that is always overlooked), the canon XL lenses don't have a handgrip, because that's integrated in the body of the XL...
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #4
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Thanks John -- the only problem with that 12x Fuji is that it's an SD lens, not HD. The Canon XL's will not be worth converting in my opinion; they are all SD as well, would require a conversion of the XL mount, and there is no LANC jack on the HD100.
That's true Chris, but I thought the Fuji 12x were capable of resolving well in excess of 600 lines - wether they would make it to the 720 necessary for HD I don't know. I think the 12x Fuji might have already been a converted half inch lens which means it would have cast a big enough circle for the widescreen chip. It was really the only one that peaked my curiosity.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Plus that Fuji 12x also has a handgrip, unlike the Canon XLs (thanks Werner). I get the impression that it's hard to find. I have no idea if it's even available anymore (the cost new was about $3500 several years ago). I would love to hear about someone testing it with the HD100. The model number for this lens is Fujinon T12x3.8BRM.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Are you certain this lens was ever truly detachable? I thought I remembered it was like the JVC GY-X3, a professional 1/3inch S-VHS recorder, with a pro lens (I believe a 13x), but this lens was NOT removable (to lower manufacturing costs apparently - although the lens looks detachable...)

If it is AND it has enough resolving power for HD AND it is 3.8mm AND 'only' about $3500 (not a lot compared to the 13x3.5) it would be quite interesting. No innerfocus, tough
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems