DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Cineform and Wafien for HD100 users (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/52870-cineform-wafien-hd100-users.html)

Serge Victorovich October 17th, 2005 02:45 AM

Cineform and Wafien for HD100 users

" CineForm and Wafian are pleased to introduce an excitng new Direct-to-Disk HD-SDI Recorder (code named "SilverOak"). Connected to the component output of the JVC GY-HD100U , SilverOak will record over 5 hours of 1280x720p60 video into the award winning CineForm Intermediate Format. SilverOak delivers superior 10-bit, 4:2:2 Visually Lossless image quality with unsurpassed ease-of-use into CineForm Prospect HD for a real-time post production experience." http://www.dvcamps.com/index.php
Well, now give us price less than $5K :)
But in reality i thinking about $15K:(

Andreas Fernbrant October 17th, 2005 07:39 AM

To me, this sounds amazing!
Are there any more information about this?

Am I missing something (as I'm not a tech freak) but wont this kill
most of the competitors?

Kind regards
Andreas

Stephen L. Noe October 17th, 2005 07:56 AM

Just one more reason why the JVC is the real deal. Tethered or untethered you have options which never existed at the 5K price point before. It's no wonder they are selling them by the pallet.

Warren Shultz October 17th, 2005 04:56 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you only would get the 4:2:2 natively if you were recording live, wouldn't you?

Coming off tape you've already compressed and sampled at 4:2:0.

Stephen L. Noe October 17th, 2005 05:00 PM

You are correct amigo, the tape will record using the ProHD codec which is 420. Component connection would be required to not get processed by the codec.

Soroush Shahrokni October 17th, 2005 09:58 PM

Cineform crew are the kings of HD codec. "SilverOak" will take the JVC to the same league as the Varicam. I guess one also need the "prospect HD" package to be able to work with the 10bit 4:2:2 footage!

Unfortunatly I cannot even afford the complete Aspect HD package now when my trial ends in just a few days...but "SilverOak" is something to keep an eye on for the future. Good news indeed!

Keep up the great job Cineform!

Ian E. Pearson October 17th, 2005 11:07 PM

Just for HD100?

If its a Direct to disk HD-SDI/component recorder that means it could work on any cam with a HD-SDI like the new Canon or component outputs like the Sonys right?

John Mitchell October 18th, 2005 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Shultz
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you only would get the 4:2:2 natively if you were recording live, wouldn't you?

Coming off tape you've already compressed and sampled at 4:2:0.

That's the whole idea - you hook up this unit to your component outs and you can record 4:2:2 natively live direct to disk. You don't come off tape.

Unfortunately, while this sounds like a great idea, unless they can develop secondary codec options like DVCProHD or Avid's DNXHD, the CIF format is .avi and only natively read by Premiere Pro and Vegas.

Without a Quicktime wrapper they are limiting their market significantly. I'd probably still be tempted to get one and transcode though.

Serge Victorovich October 18th, 2005 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian E. Pearson
If its a Direct to disk HD-SDI/component recorder that means it could work on any cam with a HD-SDI like the new Canon or component outputs like the Sonys right?

http://cineform.blogspot.com/2005/10...y-results.html

David Newman October 18th, 2005 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell
Unfortunately, while this sounds like a great idea, unless they can develop secondary codec options like DVCProHD or Avid's DNXHD, the CIF format is .avi and only natively read by Premiere Pro and Vegas.

There is little value for use to encode into DVCPROHD, as that is an 8-bit lower resolution format, and Avid DXxHD is a competitive format (Avid will need to produce that product.) We developed CineForm Intermediate to offer full resolution and bit-depth at a quality visually indistiguishable to uncompressed. True it is currently an AVI wrapped codec, which means it runs in nearly every PC application, not just the NLEs we market acceleration solutions for. We are considering a quicktime version of CineForm Intermediate so that apple FCP users can also directly use our products -- unfortunately we have a number of engineering projects in the queue before we can begin a quicktime port.

David Newman October 18th, 2005 09:55 AM

Quote:

Yes. This device will capture any single link HD-SDI feedback or analog equivilent (details pending.) That means 1080p, 1080i, 720p at all the common frame rates at 10-bit. Customers are doing direct on-set recording today using Prospect HD systems, the Wafian product will offer similar capture abilities (plus some bonus features.)

Ian E. Pearson October 18th, 2005 09:58 PM

Sounds like a sweet concept Dave. How big is this device? Obviously, with all that storage it will probably be bigger than a firestore, but if youre still in the design stages, I think portability is going to be a key selling factor for something like this. It would be nice to not need the bulky setup currently necessary to capture from the component out. Will it be able to capture 720 60p from the JVC?

John Mitchell October 19th, 2005 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman
There is little value for use to encode into DVCPROHD, as that is an 8-bit lower resolution format, and Avid DXxHD is a competitive format (Avid will need to produce that product.) We developed CineForm Intermediate to offer full resolution and bit-depth at a quality visually indistiguishable to uncompressed. True it is currently an AVI wrapped codec, which means it runs in nearly every PC application, not just the NLEs we market acceleration solutions for. We are considering a quicktime version of CineForm Intermediate so that apple FCP users can also directly use our products -- unfortunately we have a number of engineering projects in the queue before we can begin a quicktime port.

Good to hear from you David - This is an exciting product with huge potential. CIF also seems to be the first format on the planet that has solved a lot of the HDV riddles.

It's a shame that you consider DnxHD a competing product though - it only exists on the Avid platform, I don't think it's marketed separately to their NLE's and you guys don't currently make an Avid version of CIF :) which would be a "real good thing".

I have 3 Avid suites so I may be a tad biased.... maybe I'll just buy Premiere Pro / Vegas

Joe Carney October 19th, 2005 08:09 AM

John, Avid allows you to download and use their codec for free. So in a sense, it is a competing product. Smart move on Avids part to allow playback on non Avid systems. I believe Ikegama is going to be using their codec.

David Newman October 19th, 2005 09:28 AM

Quote:

Sounds like a sweet concept Dave. How big is this device? Obviously, with all that storage it will probably be bigger than a firestore, but if youre still in the design stages, I think portability is going to be a key selling factor for something like this. It would be nice to not need the bulky setup currently necessary to capture from the component out. Will it be able to capture 720 60p from the JVC?

The first version of the device is an on set recorder to replace D5 or HDCAM-SR (i.e. tape based 10-bit recorders.) So it will not be portable like the firestore device, but the first application is quality and post-production convience. So we aren't trying to complete with firestore style of product yet. We thinking more about a device for indie filmmakers that works the way Lucas and Rodriguez shoot these days (at 1/10th the cost.)

It will support the 720p60 mode from the JVC GY-HD100.