JVC Pro HD Open House on Friday 21 Oct in NYC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 18th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

JVC Pro HD Open House on Friday 21 Oct in NYC

For those in the New York City area, JVC has an "Open House" on Friday Oct. 21st, free to attend but limited seating available. The Pro HD lineup will be there, including the HD100 plus a screening of Charles Papert's Mini35 tests converted to 35mm by DuArt. Location and other specific information is detailed on this page:

http://www.abelcine.com/bodies/body213.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

HD100 to 35mm presentation in NYC this Friday!

Hello all dvinfo.net readers & posters. This Friday, October 21, DuArt Film & Video is joining with JVC and Abel Cine Tech to present a free seminar on the capabilities and field use of the HD100. The presentation will consist of a discussion of my own experience with the camera during a grueling two week National Geographic shoot in a remote rainforest in Madagascar, as well as in a studio set-up in New York. About 12 minutes of material from these two shoots that was filmed out to 35mm by DuArt will be presented and discussed. We will also present a filmout of the HD100/mini35 test by Charles Papert that is posted on this site. Abel Cine Tech will provide an overview of the camera and present available lens and accessory options. The seminar will take place at 9:00 and 12:30 at the Tribeca Screening Room in New York. Space is limited, so those interested in attending should call Penny at Abel Cine Tech (212-462-0100) to reserve a space. For more information, please visit these sites: http://www.abelcine.com/bodies/body213.php
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/main.jsp

I look forward to seeing some of you there.

Andrew Young
VP, Special Projects
DuArt Film & Video
Director/DP, Archipelago Films
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Wrangler

Ahg! Stuff I shot on the big screen! And I'm on the wrong coast!
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Really, why can't we have a showing here in California...

Funny thing is as soon as I head back to Missouri... they'll have a showing the day I'm in Arizona...

I just thought of something...

Chris if you're in New York... video the screen again like you did with the Canon... and post it.

I'm just kidding...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #5
Wrangler

Nate, I believe we will have a screening of the filmout in LA at some point, now that it has been struck.
Old October 18th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #6
Wrangler

Cool. I was just thinking..."er, DuArt doesn't have an office on the west coast...fat chance it'll make it here."
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:53 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Thread "stuck" until Friday night.

Old October 20th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Young
Hello all dvinfo.net readers & posters. This Friday, October 21, DuArt Film & Video is joining with JVC and Abel Cine Tech to present a free seminar on the capabilities and field use of the HD100. The presentation will consist of a discussion of my own experience with the camera during a grueling two week National Geographic shoot in a remote rainforest in Madagascar, as well as in a studio set-up in New York. About 12 minutes of material from these two shoots that was filmed out to 35mm by DuArt will be presented and discussed. We will also present a filmout of the HD100/mini35 test by Charles Papert that is posted on this site. Abel Cine Tech will provide an overview of the camera and present available lens and accessory options. The seminar will take place at 9:00 and 12:30 at the Tribeca Screening Room in New York. Space is limited, so those interested in attending should call Penny at Abel Cine Tech (212-462-0100) to reserve a space. For more information, please visit these sites: http://www.abelcine.com/bodies/body213.php
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/main.jsp

I look forward to seeing some of you there.

Andrew Young
VP, Special Projects
DuArt Film & Video
Director/DP, Archipelago Films

So, it will have some blowout to 35mm that does not include the Mini as part of the set-up? I am planning to attend, and I am really interested to see some 35mm material without the Mini adapter.

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Otero
So, it will have some blowout to 35mm that does not include the Mini as part of the set-up? I am planning to attend, and I am really interested to see some 35mm material without the Mini adapter.

Luis
Yes, Luis, there will be 8 minutes from my Madagascar shoot, which is documentary style, and as a contrast, 2.5 minutes of material from a controlled tungsten lit set-up I did with the 13x lens. All of it shot out to 35mm. See you there.

Andy
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #10
Inner Circle

If anyone from Northern VA would like to ride with me, I'll call abel and make reservations. It's only a little over 4 hrs to NYC from the DC area.
Email me by this afternoon, before I make the call if interested. I can take up to 3 people in comfort. Come back the same day.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Damn, I am in the City but stuck at the PhotoPlus Expo over at Javits. Most likely I'll miss out, but if I can swing a two-hour lunch, I'll try to drop by.

Old October 21st, 2005, 09:41 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Young
Yes, Luis, there will be 8 minutes from my Madagascar shoot
Andrew, for those of us who can't be in NYC today, could you briefly tell us your thoughts on the camera? Also, can you confirm that the FILMOUT mode is indeed a straight linear response curve?
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:43 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Well, just got back to Fairfax. All I can say is....wow. Charles, Nate, you could tell people you originated on 35mm and everyone would believe you.

Andy gave an excellent talk about his experience with the camera, to make a long story short, this camera is tougher than it looks, but I will leave the details to Andy. Considering his lack of experience with the camera, the problems with FCP...other things...the film out was excellent, even with a few scenes that had the tell tale video look. Overall, using factory presets, stock lenses and a glued on Wide angle lense it was great. The Vignette witht the artist, using the 13x lense looked like it originated on 16mm instead of video.
It is not for those looking for a camera to auto everything for them. If you are willing to take the time to learn all the features, it will reward you. If all you want if simple point and shoot, look elsewhere.

The HVX200 and new Canon not withstanding...this is THE camera for indie film makers, especially considering the price.
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Another thing. Considering the extreme conditions Andy shot in, anyone who felt you couldn't just go out and shoot something, or wanted to do wildlife video. Not to worry, it performs great. Just be prepared to master your tools to get the best look.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:16 AM   #15
Wrangler

Thanks for the report, Joe. Looking forward to seeing the filmout footage.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems