DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Matte box for stock lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/53007-matte-box-stock-lens.html)

John Mitchell October 19th, 2005 08:30 AM

Matte box for stock lens

Can anyone recommend a reasonable budget solution for a matte box for the stock lens.

Looking at B&H they had Cavision and Formatt reasonably priced, but very little stock.

Yusuf Thakur October 19th, 2005 12:08 PM

Vocas

We have the Vocas 4X4 and 4X5 matte box, which mounts
directly on to the lens, we can even mount a wide angle Red eye with the box. Will post some picturtes soon. The Matt box cost US 480/- Plus shipping, I keep mentioning shipping because by the time get anything down to Dubai, I pay a atleast 100-150 US for it.

Luis Otero October 19th, 2005 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Mitchell
Can anyone recommend a reasonable budget solution for a matte box for the stock lens.

Looking at B&H they had Cavision and Formatt reasonably priced, but very little stock.

I owe a Formatt MB, but I do not know where I would be able to get an adapter ring the the stock lens. Can anybody point out where can it be purchased? Size?

Thanks!

Luis

John Mitchell October 20th, 2005 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luis Otero
I owe a Formatt MB, but I do not know where I would be able to get an adapter ring the the stock lens. Can anybody point out where can it be purchased? Size?

Thanks!

Luis

I'm pretty sure I saw them at B&H - they're just step up rings. The stock lens thread is 82mm.

If not you could try emailing Bogen...

Tim Dashwood October 20th, 2005 09:25 AM

I'm using the Cavision two-stage 4x4 bellows with rods and handles. It seemed reasonable, and works well. It is heavy though, so I'm looking into a Chrosziel light-weight clip-on for stedicam and jib work.

Warren Shultz October 20th, 2005 10:46 AM

I'd like to know more about the Chroziel solution as well.

Isn't the Vocas a nice carbon fiber system? Yusuf, how do you like it?

Finally, anyone know about Dan Diaconu and products he's releasing?

Luis Otero October 20th, 2005 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I'm using the Cavision two-stage 4x4 bellows with rods and handles. It seemed reasonable, and works well. It is heavy though, so I'm looking into a Chrosziel light-weight clip-on for stedicam and jib work.

Tim,

The Formatt FM500 is so light that with a simple adapter ring you would have 2 stage filter, one of them rotating. No rods, no extra monting. You may want to look into that option since I bought it for my HD10 and it worked so well. My 2 cents...

Regards, Luis

Dave Beaty October 20th, 2005 09:10 PM

I also got a Formatt. Nice product for the price. Does the job. Pros: Lightweight pressed aluminum, included flag/shade, rotating and fixed stages.
Quick release from screw in adaptor ring. No noticable squeeze on focus ring.

Cons, the optional clamp on adaptor does not work with the Fujinon stock lens. Bogen sent me one to test for free. The outer diameter is to small. So, for now, it's screw in adaptor only. I worry that the tight plastic threads on the Fujion will strip each time I screw it on. It seems like the clamp on adaptor could be modified by cutting off a small piece to make it clamp a bit more.

Some Tiffen filters are too thick and you really have to push them in. The mattbox's holders are plastic or nylon with screw down locks and the filters slide in, although tightly.

I didn't like the fact that the huge french flag is screwed on. Need a screwdriver to remove it which I did as it's overkill in most cases.

But aside from these gripes it works fine. And the $1000 difference compared to some of the others is not worth it IMHO.

Laszlo Horvath October 20th, 2005 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beaty
I also got a Formatt. Nice product for the price. Does the job. Pros: Lightweight pressed aluminum, included flag/shade, rotating and fixed stages.
Quick release from screw in adaptor ring. No noticable squeeze on focus ring.

Cons, the optional clamp on adaptor does not work with the Fujinon stock lens. Bogen sent me one to test for free. The outer diameter is to small. So, for now, it's screw in adaptor only. I worry that the tight plastic threads on the Fujion will strip each time I screw it on. It seems like the clamp on adaptor could be modified by cutting off a small piece to make it clamp a bit more.

Some Tiffen filters are too thick and you really have to push them in. The mattbox's holders are plastic or nylon with screw down locks and the filters slide in, although tightly.

I didn't like the fact that the huge french flag is screwed on. Need a screwdriver to remove it which I did as it's overkill in most cases.

But aside from these gripes it works fine. And the $1000 difference compared to some of the others is not worth it IMHO.

Dave, are you try to use this Formatt FM-500 with the HD-100 and with the stock 16x lens? If yes, can you upload, or send a picture of the setup by e-mail to me?

John Mitchell October 20th, 2005 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood

Tim, if you didn't require rotating filters then this might be an option for a super lightweight rig.

http://www.cinetactics.com/mb100m.php

It's cheap too :)

Don't know about wear and tear or anything like that, just found it while I was looking around.

I note Cavision also make a fixed 16x9 solution too - that would be lighter than the full bellows.