Help with noise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 19th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with noise

Im getting too much noise in my footage, even when I have good amount of light. I know that it can be reduced in the camera, but does anyone know how and what settings I should change?

Any help would be appreciated!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Regular Crew

42 views and no reply...! =(
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Wrangler

Can you post a TIFF frame grab or even a short m2t? Are you seeing noise at 0dB, or higher gain values?

The HD100 doesn't have coring control like DVX100A or XL2, but I've found it to have much less noise than the DVX.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #4
Trustee

yes, screenshot please. B.Green reported an unusually noisy camera over on DVXuser.com.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #5
Major Player

Some color matrix settings can cause increased noise if you've tweaked them too much. Do you get the noise at factory default?
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thx for the replies, we did some testings today and the DP that was with me was reffering to the "noise" as minimal compared to other HDV cameras.

We also compared footage shot with the JVC by other members and watched them side by side and correctly there is no more or less "noise" in my footage compared to others.

His first comments when we projected the images where "Are you kidding me?", "you call this noisy?". I guess one gets used very fast to HD resolution!

I will upload some TIFF grabs shortly with the risk of getting the same response as my collague!
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:16 AM   #7
Regular Crew

3 TIFFs (noise or compression artifacts?)

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...M1OO8FWR7IFQBW

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...P3SXOAFH96LRJI

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...A3LL5TYWXHWVYE
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Trustee

Uhhh... Well.... It looks P.D.G to me.
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM   #9
Wrangler

I'd say you are seeing compression artifacts. It is easy to scrutinize a frame grab, but what counts is the image when in motion.
Your images look pretty darn good, especially the sky shot. You would think that the colour sampling/compression would have created "stepping" in the sky gradation, but it holds up well in this example.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:30 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thx for the replies. So what Im reffering to as "noise" is infact "compression artifacts"? But then how come Sony footage looks less compressed although it should be reversed? It feels that the Z1/Fx1 footage are cleaner, but maybe Im wrong!

I guess with SilverOak 10bit 4:2:2 sampling the compression artifacts will be gone or non-visable.
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:25 PM   #11
Trustee

Are you checking your images on an HDTV in native 720p or? Tim mentioned that the codec is optimized for 24p. The 30p stuff I've worked with has been terrific as well. There is absolutely no way to complain about the gradation on the sky shot. How does the footage look in motion?
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:50 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Stephen, Im watching the footage on a Sanyo Z2 (720p) projector. The footage is very good, infact it looks better when in motion. I guess Im asking too much from HDV compression.

Its just that it looks like footage from JVC (not just mine) has more grain/noise compared to Z1. I cannot stand the videoish interlaced motion but the footage looks cleaner!

Oh and I always shoot 24p! =)
Old October 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM   #13
Trustee

Have you tried to connect component from the HD100 to the Z2? Take a look at what you can expect from component without HDV compression.

The 'grain' you're seeing in the footage looks just like film grain (to me). There are almost no macroblock motion estimation problems like on the Sony iteration of HDV (and I'm afraid the XL-H1 as well). In the worst case scenario's I've seen with the HD-100 and motion estimation, it has delivered.

Soroush, try a massive color correction on the footage and see how it holds up. Your editor will be very happy you're using ProHD. Have him/her pull the blacks down and see how well the image holds up! You simply can't do that with the Sony or XL-H1. The blacks crumble apart quite often on Sony and Canon HDV.
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:36 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes Steven, I have connected the from the component out and it looks very good.

And I edit all my footage myself, it holds exremely well under CC and I can agree that the 'grain' looks a bit like some of the Kodak stock, but if I could choose Id have had it 'grain-free' and add gain in post.

I guess I´ve become spoiled. This is by far the best camera that I have owned for personal use and I will shoot alot with this one. I have just been appointed to direct a 12 episode TV drama for Swedish television. We will have a meeting to discuss the project sometimes next week and I will propose that we shoot it with the JVC. I feel very comfortable with this camera and love the combination of JVC and mini35 adapters, lets see what gets decided!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems