DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   GY-HD101 - The next generation in 6 months (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/53206-gy-hd101-next-generation-6-months.html)

Alexei Berteig October 23rd, 2005 06:14 AM

GY-HD101 - The next generation in 6 months

Straight from the horse's mouth: JVC is going to release the next version of the GY-HD100 series in about six months' time.

They're collecting feedback from early adopters how to improve the next camera. I've already made the following suggestions:

720p and 1080i multi-format.
Uncompressed HD out through firewire so we can all record uncompressed HD directly to disk.
Change the viewfinder to black and white.
Change the location of the XLR microphone inputs so they don't interfere with hand-held shots "from the hip."
*They know about the problems with the Fujinon lens, but didn't say whether or not they're going to change it.
Improve the lens or stock microphone.
Offer a battery solution that doesn't require $1,500 3rd-party solutions.
On-camera programmable user-preference buttons with a wider lattitude of options (gamma, etc)

I'm in touch with the head of JVC China, and he's collecting feedback from any pros who are using the camera and have ideas for improvements, so if you post your suggestions here I'll make sure they get to the people who can actually do something about it.

Shawn Alyasiri October 23rd, 2005 07:36 AM

Sounds great. I understand that JVC was very concerned about entering with a certain $5-$6K price point. For the record, I'd pay/and would have paid more to have a unit with enhanced features. For the most part, I really enjoy this camera, however, I only purchased it because their bigger HD7000 isn't ready yet. It's been a great utility camera though, as I'm using it to build my HD workflow/infrastructure. I feel like I can practice and test at ease, since there isn't a large chunk rolling as a bank loan on a bigger model. The current HD100 price seemed refreshingly low. Then you see the SSE anomaly and perhaps price point comes in...

Anyway - I'd guess and expect this HD101 would be a more expensive camera. I have no problem with that, certainly if it can boast all of the old features, plus some of the ones you're talking about, and be a non-issue run and gun cam that you can stick in a bunch of situations.

For what it's worth, I'd love to see the ability to stick a larger lens on the front - 18x-20x. Perhaps a 1/2" version with a touch more low-light capability as well? Maybe a ND wheel mounted on the front of the body, like bigger cams? I recently had my ND switch stick a bit between settings. It took me a minute to figure out what was block the image...

My two cents... still a fan, but would love to see what they've got cooking.

John Mitchell October 23rd, 2005 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexei Berteig
Straight from the horse's mouth: JVC is going to release the next version of the GY-HD100 series in about six months' time.

Already a 101. Probably be the GY-HD200/201...

Tim Dashwood October 23rd, 2005 09:13 AM

Alexei,

I started a wishlist thread last month. All of the regional managers are taking suggestions that will get passed on to the engineers in Japan. Not necessarily for a new model, but maybe future firmware updates.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=51147

Please add your requests in the same format so it will be easy to read if a JVC engineer happens to be browsing. In fact everyone should add their specific ideas and maybe we can make it sticky.
Use the following format for lists (replace brackets with square brackets.)

(list=1)
(*) (b)Wishlist item 1 title(/b) Detailed description of how the function would work and why it would make the camera better.
-
(*) (b)Wishlist item 2 title(/b) Detailed description of how the function would work and why it would make the camera better.
-
(*) (b)Wishlist item 3 title(/b) Detailed description of how the function would work and why it would make the camera better.
(/list)

The list will look like this:
  1. Wishlist item 1 title Detailed description of how the function would work and why it would make the camera better.
    -
  2. Wishlist item 2 title Detailed description of how the function would work and why it would make the camera better.
    -
  3. Wishlist item 3 title Detailed description of how the function would work and why it would make the camera better.

Huiy Tang October 23rd, 2005 03:06 PM

I was told by a JVC rep in Canada that they would be replacing the hd100 lenses relatively soon. Within 90 days. He mentioned that the lens would be less light hungry and this would assist in minimizing the SSE issue. For those of you who already purchased look into a lens upgrade. Or return your camera and pick up a new unit in December or January.

Werner Wesp October 23rd, 2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huiy Tang
I was told by a JVC rep in Canada that they would be replacing the hd100 lenses relatively soon. Within 90 days. He mentioned that the lens would be less light hungry and this would assist in minimizing the SSE issue. For those of you who already purchased look into a lens upgrade. Or return your camera and pick up a new unit in December or January.

Is this officially confirmed?

Tim Dashwood October 23rd, 2005 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werner Wesp
Is this officially confirmed?

Of course not. Has JVC officially confirmed anything to the public since NAB05 press release?
It may be internally rumoured, or maybe there was an internal memo, but you can be sure that the information is not meant for public consumption. All we have is some hearsay. No more no less.
It wouldn't be the smartest marketing plan to tell customers that the brand new camera will be better in 6 months. Who would buy it now?

Werner Wesp October 23rd, 2005 04:01 PM

Yep, sorry Tim, I actually meant, did you hear that from your JVC dealer, or just something you picked up on the web? In other words, how trustworthy is that info....

Steve Mullen October 23rd, 2005 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexei Berteig
Straight from the horse's mouth: JVC is going to release the next version of the GY-HD100 series in about six months' time. I've already made the following suggestions:

If you said 9 months I'd agree as that would put it post NAB and before IBC. It would likely be very similar, but with a 720p60 codec and public PCM audio. They could price at under $9K.

"720p and 1080i multi-format."

No need as the 1280x720 is already higher rez than Son'ys 1080i.

"Uncompressed HD out through firewire so we can all record uncompressed HD directly to disk.

Uncompressed HD can't be passed via 1394. Also Copyright issues with shooting movies.

"Change the viewfinder to black and white."

No reason to to so -- increase rez and have a switch turn off color.

"Offer a battery solution that doesn't require $1,500 3rd-party solutions."

YES!!!

"On-camera programmable user-preference buttons with a wider lattitude of options (gamma, etc)"

YES-- one should able to assign any setting to a button.

By then they may have the next gen CCDs that are more sensitive or a better gain function.

Matt Irwin October 23rd, 2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
"720p and 1080i multi-format."

No need as the 1280x720 is already higher rez than Son'ys 1080i.

Did I miss something? 1920x1080 is higher res than 1280x720...right?

Stephen L. Noe October 23rd, 2005 11:03 PM

Matt,

The reference was to 1080i (interlaced) not 1080p.

Steve Mullen October 23rd, 2005 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Irwin

Sony HDV only captures 960x1080. Even HDCAM only records 1440x1080.

You've been drinking from the poison well of 1080i marketing. :)

Nate Weaver October 24th, 2005 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Irwin

In my own informal tests, the JVC ends up with slightly sharper images than the Z1, but with definitely less HDV artifacts.

I came to this conclusion BEFORE I bought the JVC, not after, just FYI.

Guy Barwood October 24th, 2005 07:30 AM

1: Full auto button is positioned behind your head nearly at the back of the camera, making it VERY VERY difficult to switch it on while shooting on the shoulder. DV500's position is much better.

2: Try and clean the gain up a bit more (as always)

3: VMount Plate on the back as standard... (even though I now have some decent power JVC mount batteries that should provide about 3+ hours run time)

4: Option for LCD to display levels and timecode when flipped and recessed into the camera like on DV5000.

5: Option to have viewfinder and LCD on at the same time.

6: Redesign the back I/O panel to look like this
http://www.glasseye.com.au/hd101e/hd...de2_custom.jpg
(ie Full size audio connectors not mini phono connector)

7: Realtime downconvert of HDV material to DV via 1394. Make that 1394 IEEE switch do what everyone thought it would do!

8: Two models only, one with 1394 out only (for your Euro market) and one 1394 In and out, everything else the same (ie no PAL NTSC models, just make them all PAL and NTSC via menu options)

9: 4pin XLR 12v DC power connector.

10: Internal focus lens.

11: User Firmware upgradeable (keep calibration data in separate flash area to survive user firmware upgrades). We are happily flashing firmware on all our stuff now, get over it, its normal part of life now, it shouldn't be a factory service option only. Enhance the product firmware updates without forcing users back into service centres.

Now to dream:

A: 1/2" not 1/3", drop 1/3" here and now...

Also, most of what has already been said.

Tim Dashwood October 24th, 2005 08:13 AM

Guy,

Can you please copy and paste your list into the sticky "HD100 Upgrade Wishlist" thread at the top of the forum?

I really like your panel layout. You should find a way to squeeze a BNC HD-SDI in there! Actually, you should make all the component connectors BNC too.