JVC GY HD100 & Decklink Extreme at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old October 31st, 2005, 07:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC GY HD100 & Decklink Extreme

Today I had a chance to shoot some video with the new JVC camera. My local JVC rep stopped by and I rolled a few minutes of HDV 720p30. I was impressed with the camera for the most part. It was tricked out with the 16X9 matte box & follow focus. I then captured the footage in FCP 5 via fire-wire. Capture setting were set to HDV 720p30. Then I imported the footage into a Blackmagic 10-bit project and rendered it out on the time line. It looked pretty good on my NTSC monitor. Even better once I cranked up the color and crushed the black levels. I was pretty impressed. Not what I was expecting. Yeah there wasn't much selective focus going on, but I would imagine with some ND filters or of course a better lens you could probably get the background to fall off. I compared that footage to some recent JVC GY DV5100 footage and I'd say the HD100 looked better. Just wanted to share my experience without getting too technical. I could see doing some pretty nice work with this camera and as FCP 5 improves its support for 24p there's room to grow too. IF anyone has some other work flow techniques I should try with my current SD set up, please share. (G5 Dual 2G, decklink extreme, DSR-11, PVW 2800, G-Raid, 3 1/2gig ram) I can upload some footage tomorrow if you guys & gals are interested.
Council Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Trustee

I'm interested in the upload and you're comparison footage. Nice post too.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Can you provide us the comparision footage from both cameras?
Diogo Athouguia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Plz do upload some footage!
Soroush Shahrokni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

How fast did it render to uncompressed? Could you test a render to a DVC pro50 timeline for us? Pro50 is good quality, small files, 4:2:2 color.
Kristian Indrehus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:05 PM   #6
New Boot

I'm curios in this because I heard FCP5 wasnt correctly capturing HDV footage at this point in time.

Also did you have any issues with judder, aliasing or flicker? was this working in an HD/HDV timeline or SD timeline? The reason I ask is because I'm having problems with the footage in my editor (Liquid Chrome HD). We recently recieved the Final Cut studio, we just have to upgrade our mac's OS to install the latest FCP version. We're thinking of moving completly over to Final Cut for our post production facilities.
Chad Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Simcox
I'm curios in this because I heard FCP5 wasnt correctly capturing HDV footage at this point in time.
720P30 works fine in FCP5. 720P24 and 25 need 3rd party software to remove the pulldown frames (Lumiere HD is the only solution right now.)
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
720P30 works fine in FCP5. 720P24 and 25 need 3rd party software to remove the pulldown frames

Since our programming is broadcast in the US, this wont be a problem for me. Thats good news!
Chad Simcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Simcox

Also did you have any issues with judder, aliasing or flicker? was this working in an HD/HDV timeline or SD timeline?
Sorry its taken so long to post this clip. I've been swamped with production.

I didn't have any problems capturing the 720 30p and it was edited in SD (Blackmagic 10bit) I only did a simple test so I really didn't do any involved editing. If so I would probably edit in native HDV 720 30p then before I started doing any graphics or compositing downconvert to 10bit. Not sure if this is the best way to go about it but given my system is SD I think that workflow would work pretty well.
I wasn't sure what format to post this sample in so I just made a quicktime movie. This first clip is the HD100 the second is a comparison to the DV5100. The quicktime move kind of makes it hard to compare but you'll see that the HD100 looks pretty good. Its kind of got its own characteristics. Not bad for a $6,000 camera.
http://homepage.mac.com/racegun/iMovieTheater15.html
Council Bradshaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems