DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVCHD100 and Redrock Micro - Any Reports? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/53857-jvchd100-redrock-micro-any-reports.html)

Robert Castiglione November 5th, 2005 01:12 AM

JVCHD100 and Redrock Micro - Any Reports?

Sometime ago there was a thread saying that someone was going to test out the Redrock Micro with the HD100.

Is anyone able to report on how this combination performs?

Rob

Soroush Shahrokni November 5th, 2005 12:04 PM

The combination works very good, it can produce some amazing footage. But I would prefer a relay lens made for it bc of CA from the Fujinon!

Mathieu Bergeron November 5th, 2005 05:21 PM

I tried the M2 on my HD100 and the results are very interesting but I would say a relay lens would make a much better job. The achromatic diopter seems to be too small for that camera. I had to invert it to make it go closer to the lens so I don't have to zoom too much to avoid vignetting. I seem to get the best results when focusing with the macro ring instead a the focus ring. I never seem to get rid of blurry edges (2/3 of the image is in perfect focus and then it goes off gradually on the edges - even when zooming more on the GG). In SD, it works well and you don't see that problem but when you switch to HD it is more obvious. I've been looking to buy a bigger achromat from century optics but it sells for about 400$. M2 is a great product for it's price but you'll have to tweak it to make it fit properly with this camera. For example, it doesn't fit my Cavision Matte Box. I will need to build a riser (about 2-3cm) to make it align to center. Anyway, I'm sure the guys at Redrock are elready working on adjustments. Be sure you try the two flavors of GG. You really have to test this setup before going into production. I had a few headaches with ghosting and I still need to read more tips in their forum. If I have time, I will post a picture of my setup tomorrow.

Robert Castiglione November 5th, 2005 06:45 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am shooting in late January 2006 and I hear it takes about 8 - 10 weeks just to get it after ordering so I might just let things settle down a bit before buying. I love the philosophy Redrock.

Yes, I wondered whether the lack of a relay lens would be a problem particularly for the HD100.

I am still very tempted. I particularly like the idea of being able to use still 35 mm lenses.

Rob

Yusuf Thakur November 6th, 2005 08:15 AM

Yes there is delay

I placed an order for the redrock excatly a monyh back on the
6/10/2005 was told that delivery would take 4 to six weeks, I recived an email, three days back that there will be a further
delay of 2-3 weeks. So 8-10 weeks is what it looks like.

Michael Maier November 6th, 2005 05:05 PM

That seems to be the case with every single order. I have never heard of anybody who got his order in time. I just wonder why they just don't change their website to 10-12 weeks instead of the untruthful 4-6 weeks delivery time.
That and the ghosting problems were the reasons I gave up on the M2.

Carlos Rodriguez November 8th, 2005 02:01 PM

guerilla 35

anybody try the guerilla 35 yet? I've seen footage from the sony fx-1 with it, and it looks very clean.

Robert Castiglione November 8th, 2005 07:42 PM

Yes, I am interested in the guerilla as well. Apparently it is an optical solution. Noiseless and nothing spinning - hey I like that! I dont think it is in production yet is it?

Rob

Luis Otero November 10th, 2005 07:18 AM

We bought the SG35 and expect it to arrive next Friday. I will post some comments after using it. Wayne was very methodical in the designing and construction of the adapter, the way it should be done: asking this community for what they needed and designing based on needs, not on ...

Luis

Robert Castiglione November 10th, 2005 05:33 PM

Luis, really looking forward to your post on this. Apart from image quality, could you please let us know whether the rig can be used shoulder mounted?

Rob

Luis Otero November 10th, 2005 05:50 PM

I'll report all that information as soon as they are available.

Luis

Luis Otero November 10th, 2005 05:56 PM

By the way...

By the way:

I am in the need to invert the image showing in the LCD since I will be using the SG35 for a project next week. It seems to me that the magnet trick will help. Has anyone tried it yet on a HD100? If so, what is the specific location and the size of the magnet used to achieve the inversion?

Thanks for your help on this,

Luis

PS Is there any other way to do this (menue setting)? Is this also achievable with the viewfinder?

Robert Castiglione November 10th, 2005 06:12 PM

Luis inverting the image, please contact me off list on rcastgilione@mac.com.

Rob

Luis Otero November 10th, 2005 06:20 PM

Just e-mailed you, but message returned...?

Michael Maier November 11th, 2005 03:56 PM

Are you using the SG35 with the HD100? With the stock lens?