DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Training DVDs or books? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/53894-training-dvds-books.html)

Trevor Allin November 5th, 2005 05:34 PM

Training

Anyone know of a training DVD for the JVC gy-hd100? Also a DVD on camera techniques in general?

Thanks.

Trevor

Tim Dashwood November 5th, 2005 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Allin
Anyone know of a training DVD for the JVC gy-hd100? Also a DVD on camera techniques in general?

Thanks.

Trevor

Welcome to the dvinfo Trevor. I moved your post into this new thread because the topic didn't fit in the other thread. However, I think it is a valuable question and others may be able to help you find what you are looking for.

I don't think there is anything on the market right now specific to the HD100. I imagine there are a few companies like Birns & Sawyer and VASST working on a DVD. Steve Mullen's book was announced back in September but maybe he can let us know an ETA?. I was also considering compiling all of my data into an easy to navigate FAQ style website - if I have another hiatus soon.
Apparently JVC is putting together a guide book as well.

As for camera techniques, there seem to be 2 main categories of books/DVDs you will encounter.
1. Cinematography
2. Digital Filmmaking

Personally, I wouldn't wast time with the digital filmmaking books unless you are interested specifically in low-budget tricks of the trade. I find that these "digital filmmaking" books tend to "talk down" to the reader and we already know your smarter than that!
Instead, read up on the classics. Learn about lighting, camera angles, continuity, composition, lenses, blocking and etiquette. Then ask around these forums for specific tips and tricks on how to adapt what you have learned to the HD100. (gamma curves, frame rates, depth of field, 35mm adapters, etc.)

Some classics I recommend are Joe Mascelli's "Five C's of Cinematography" and Kris Malkiewicz's "Cinematography.'' You can probably even find them at some used book stores or from some former film students.

Steve Mullen November 5th, 2005 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
Steve Mullen's book was announced back in September but maybe he can let us know an ETA?.

The book is essentially done, but I'd like to include FCP 24p info. If Apple doesn't announce at NYC -- POST NAB show before Xgiving, I may have to go without.

I'm surprised no one on this list has even asked about Avid?

So that means about XMAS or NY release.

And, I REALLY agree with your Cine book recommendation!

Jiri Bakala November 6th, 2005 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
I'm surprised no one on this list has even asked about Avid? So that means about XMAS or NY release.

Sadly, Steve, just this past week I went to an Avid presentation on the new Symphony Nitris and I asked about Avid/Mac support for HDV and the response was "Summer 2006". Now, that was one salesman, and he mostly referred to the anticipated parity between the PC and Mac platforms but the response was less than encouraging. You are probably talking more about the PC platform support for 24p, which I guess might be a Christmas or NY release. For those of us on Macs, the sad state of affairs is to continue for some time still... :-(

Trevor Allin November 6th, 2005 10:45 AM

Tim

Thanks for this I will look up these books. Any equivelant DVD's that you know of?

Thanks

Trevor

Steve Mullen November 6th, 2005 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Bakala
Sadly, Steve, just this past week I went to an Avid presentation on the new Symphony Nitris and I asked about Avid/Mac support for HDV and the response was "Summer 2006".(

Strange. :) At NAB it was summer 2005. I'll call the a good friend (the Xpress designer) and get the story.

The only thing I can think of is your sales guy was talking about the Mac. They may want to wait for the Intel version of the Mac. Folks like Cineform have very carefully written Intel code to get max performance. Cineform even has a White Paper on their use of the Intel at their site.

My surprise more that no one here was screaming for Avid support. That may say something. :)

Jiri Bakala November 7th, 2005 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
My surprise more that no one here was screaming for Avid support. That may say something. :)

Well, we can scream alright...to no avail:
http://www.avid.com/company/releases..._mac_prod.html