Burn-In TC on NTSC downconverted output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 15th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #1
Wrangler

Burn-In TC on NTSC downconverted output

I'd like to make a VHS dub with viz TC of 720P24 material I shot yesterday.
It seems like a simple task for any video camera other than the VX1000!

According to the manual turning OUTPUT CHAR ON will only output the menu screen or warning display to the analog outputs.
That's just plain crazy! Am I asking for too much here?
Has anyone else figured this out?
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Tim, I thik you got the wrong forum for this one. If you run your tape from a DSR-20 or better, you can get a TC window using the "char" or "mon" outputs. No additional stuff on the screen. I have no clue on the VX1000. Been a while since I have seen one. Sorry.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

The VX1000 comment was a joke. That camera was considered revolutionary at the time (3-CCD under $5000), but it only showed TC in a little LCD window and couldn't superimpose it.

I'm trying to dub my material out from the HD100 with burn-in TC. Does anyone have the BR-50 deck to see if it works on it?
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #4
Trustee

We have one here but I believe it is also all or nothing in the menu. You can get the manual on the JVC Professional web site if you're curious to read up on the deck.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The VX1000 comment was a joke. That camera was considered revolutionary at the time (3-CCD under $5000), but it only showed TC in a little LCD window and couldn't superimpose it.

I'm trying to dub my material out from the HD100 with burn-in TC. Does anyone have the BR-50 deck to see if it works on it?
I also think it's all or nothing.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McHenry
We have one here but I believe it is also all or nothing in the menu. You can get the manual on the JVC Professional web site if you're curious to read up on the deck.

Sean McHenry
Sean, I downloaded the manual and it looks like it does have an option for outputting burn-in TC in any screen position - just like a pro deck should.
I guess I'll have to sell my Xl2 and buy one of these decks now!
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

There is a freeware app called 'Timecode Frame Generator' that you can use to add the timecode burn-ins in post. Basically it creates an AVI or bitmap sequence that you just overlay and key out the background color. Requires time-intensive rendering (especially for long clips) but it is the only way I've been able to do it.

http://www.2writers.com/download.htm
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Robinson
There is a freeware app called 'Timecode Frame Generator' that you can use to add the timecode burn-ins in post. Basically it creates an AVI or bitmap sequence that you just overlay and key out the background color. Requires time-intensive rendering (especially for long clips) but it is the only way I've been able to do it.

http://www.2writers.com/download.htm
I want to just make VHS with viz TC straight from the camera so the director can choose the preferred takes before anything is ever logged or digitized.
It seems the BR-50 deck is the only solution.
Old November 17th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I want to just make VHS with viz TC straight from the camera so the director can choose the preferred takes before anything is ever logged or digitized.
It seems the BR-50 deck is the only solution.
VHS ... what are they?

Looks like it's back to tricks like manually syncing code through a deck to burn it in.. (something I still do with my Avid)
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #10
New Boot

HD100 TC window

I am also looking for a way to do the elusive "window burn" of footage using this camera. I would be happy with being able to take the video from the viewfinder out to an external recorder, as timecode is always displayed there. Does anyone know of a way to tap into the viewfinder cable connector?
Derek Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 10:07 AM   #11
Major Player

I do a workaround with my Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro by recording the tape through the analog port, and outputing it again from the PPro timeline with time-code window in real-time.
It would be much easier with a TC window from the camera. Sounds like a firmware request. JVC...hello please read :-)
Marc Colemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #12
Major Player

Tim,

How many are you looking at doing? And what is the time frame? I have the deck.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Patton
Tim,

How many are you looking at doing? And what is the time frame? I have the deck.
I need to do these types of dubs all the time, but I'll have to invest in a deck soon. Ideally we could output TC to the director/client monitor for logging while shooting, but no such luck.
Old March 8th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #14
Major Player

I hear you.

Sounds like it's time to get that deck then. Ours has worked great with the one exception from today, and the reboot had it singing once again. Without, it's like trying to run track without shoes, it can be done, but in a way painful.
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #15
DV Creators

If you do window dubs on a regular basis, if you ever need to watch a series of video clips and take notes, or if you need to get dailies or raw footage to clients or collaborators for comments, you know what a huge hassle it can be- doing window burns, waiting hours for renders, making DVDs, spending hours encoding, and then there's the hassle of the review process- having to continually hit pause on a DVD remote and write down the timecode you see on the screen.

This free application could solve many problems:

QT Movie NoteTaker (free, OS X/WinXP, 8 sec. to download, no registration/installation)

If it really helps you out, please post a comment on the page above!
Josh Mellicker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems