Voltage Level in VF? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 18th, 2005, 12:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Voltage Level in VF?

I just bought the IDX V-mount adaptor and a battery. Is it normal that the Viewfinder indicates 16 V instead of 7.4 V that the cam needs????

Thanks

Markus
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't think that is normal at all. Don't use it until you contact your dealer - you risk damaging something. The electronics inside the IDX adapter are supposed to convert the 14.8V into 7.2V. The first batch of Anton Bauer mounts were having a similar problem, but were sent back and then everything was OK. When I use my AB mount it shows a consistent 7.3V for almost 5 hours, and then begins to drop voltage slightly.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I saw that happening with the demo camera I saw in Vancouver. Then we switched the battery because it was getting low and the voltage of the new charged battery was 7.2V. Go figure.
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Bo
I just bought the IDX V-mount adaptor and a battery. Is it normal that the Viewfinder indicates 16 V instead of 7.4 V that the cam needs????

Thanks

Markus

Yes, it's normal. (Unfortunately)
I bought this IDX V-mount adaptor couple of months ago straight from IDX (may I was the first) I use with Switronix 130 mAh batteries.
I complained about this, but they said they designed this way, because they thought high end videographers-filmmakers use to use 12V battery systems.
So don't worry Markus, everything fine. My show 16V with fresh battery later drop till 12V
The only thing I can't use to it, at 12V the battery die. (I mean the camera shoot down) They said it's normal. Well.... not for me.
Anyway, what can I do.
Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Major Player

That's interesting and in some way even better because that way the VF is actually showing the real voltage of the battery BEFORE it gets converted to the required 7.2V... Heck if it works that way I don't mind.
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Wrangler

But this isn't the way it is supposed to work. Are you actually getting 5 hours run time out of the battery?

Quoted straight from JVC's product overview:

Advanced electronics inside the IDX battery bracket convert the voltage of any IDX NP-Style battery to the required 7.2 volts. Built-in over-voltage circuits protect the device.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...l_id=MDL101584
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, I have the IDX system (mount and batterys) as well very recently. I dont mind about the voltage reading (mine starts at 16 volts as well) as long as I get over 4 hrs out of the batteries. I have used it quite a bit and it seems ok.

Markus, have you noticed how long you are getting out of the battery?

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That's why I like this forum. You're great! Thanks for the answers. I just bought the stuff yesterday on the Broadcast fair in Madrid, so I don't have any experience about duration. The dealer gave me a 130W battery untill the two 60W arrive. I bought pro-x battery and charger. The advantage is to have a separate 12V plug on the battery. So I can connect lights and harddisk at once.

Markus
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
Yes, I have the IDX system (mount and batterys) as well very recently. I dont mind about the voltage reading (mine starts at 16 volts as well) as long as I get over 4 hrs out of the batteries. I have used it quite a bit and it seems ok.

Markus, have you noticed how long you are getting out of the battery?

Rob
The battery (Switronix Pro-X 130 mAh) was good for about 4-5 hrs working and for 1 1/2 hrs recording time. Also, last night the camera was on about 10 hrs (accidently) before the battery gave up.

Laszlo
Laszlo Horvath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems