DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Where can I find the JVC HD100 Handbook by Steve Mullen (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/54675-where-can-i-find-jvc-hd100-handbook-steve-mullen.html)

Scott Harper November 19th, 2005 05:34 PM

Where can I find the JVC HD100 Handbook by Steve Mullen

I would like to get a copy of this book but it doesn't exist on the web yet even though it says it's out Oct 2005

Chris Hurd November 19th, 2005 07:08 PM

Contact him directly through his site:

http://www.mindspring.com/~d-v-c/

Steve Mullen November 20th, 2005 01:37 AM

When it seemed JVC would get the camera out in early summer, October seemed like a reasonable goal. Now it's December 31, 2005.

The Sony book is selling very well so I have every incentive to get the JVC book done ASAP. It's not a "Guide" by the way. It will be 250-275 pages. A real HDV Production book, with a HD100 Shooting Guide within.

The first Chapters are all about DV and MPEG-2 because my hope is that someone will use this for a Digital Video Course. Many teachers and students are making the transition from DV to MPEG-2, and hopefully these chapters will help this transition.

The JVC book, unlike the Sony, will have a filmmaker focus. And therein lies one problem. We need FCP and Avid 24p support! (Although, I think it is no real mystery how they will do it. From the user's point of view it will just be another preset.)

Scott Harper November 20th, 2005 03:17 PM

I can't wait! Will it be an ebook or a hard copy? I hope a part of it takes a newbie dummy approach, as opposed to a strictly technical one. With regards to the 24p FCP/Apple support, I can't tell you enough about my disappointment with the lack of synergy between the two. Utterly astounding that they didn't get their "you know what" together before the much anticipated release of the HD 100 which was the apparent "real 24p" answer to all of our needs. It's completely beyond PH to me. I'd fire the lot of them! The main reason I bought this camera was for the 720/24p capabilities- only to find out that I can't, with any real accuracy, capture and edit the format. I hope they have a codec and your book all come out by December, cause that would be the best Christmas ever for me.

Steve Mullen November 20th, 2005 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Harper
I can't wait! Will it be an ebook or a hard copy? The main reason I bought this camera was for the 720/24p capabilities- only to find out that I can't, with any real accuracy, capture and edit the format. I hope they have a codec and your book all come out by December, cause that would be the best Christmas ever for me.

It will be an eBook. My next HDV@Work Newsletter (sign-up at videosystems.com) will provide a brief intro to three 24p solutions now available. But, I am going to take some companies to task on their failure to make the tiny code changes need to support 24P.

Some history: The JVC JY-HD10 arrived at NAB 2003. We all assumed by summer that Apple would release support. Finally, I wrote "4HDV" software and started selling it September. I assumed I would only have a few month selling window. MacWorld came and went and so did NAB 2004. Finally Apple got something out in the summer of 2004. JVC announced the format in the HDV in the fall of 2002!

That's why I'm interested in "work arounds" because I don't trust Apple or Avid to provide a solution before summer 2006.

24p is perfectly legal MPEG-2. It is an ATSC standard for HDTV. There is no reason Avid's/Apple's HDV support shouldn't have been written from the start to support valid MPEG-2 TS.

Meanwhile, CineForm with AspectHD does fully support 24P. They are even ready with support Canon's 24F!

How can I write C-code and write documentation in 2 months, but Apple/Avid take over a year?

Scott Harper November 21st, 2005 10:08 PM

The problem with AspectHD is I'm a Mac guy. Well, that is to say I used to be PC then bought the JVC Hd100 camera c/w accessories, a G5 Tower all revved up and FCP5- which I've devoted many hours to learn these past months. So I pretty much have to go the Mac route or my wife will divorce me, cause I keep pretending when she walks in the room that all is beautiful with the new acquisitions. Know what I mean? I've tried Lumiere, and after much frustration I simply gave up and started shooting 30p instead. Which doesn't help me much as I shot hours and hours of behind the scenes "the making of" sort of speak, for a feature that I worked on recently. I convinced the producer to let me shoot the stuff for their dvd release due out early next year and am absolutely beside myself that I can't deliver them a finished product- as promised. The only saving grace is that I wasn't hired specifically for shooting the video(I was the PM with carte blanche access to actors and the like)which is my only out at this point. Anyway, here I sit with a Nattress Guide to capturing 24p in front of me- it's bloody 16 pages long- and can't quite bring myself to the hours of work ahead needed to capture all that I've shot. A crushing disappointment! I should've stuck to PMing!

Tim Dashwood November 22nd, 2005 05:04 AM

Quote:

I've tried Lumiere, and after much frustration I simply gave up and started shooting 30p instead.

Scott,

Try out HDVxDV. It is super easy, you can download a free trial, and it works with 720P24. The only thing that is a little weird is that you should "Batch Conform" the files you create with it to 23.98 instead of the 24fps they default to.

It also retains TC, but I've been seeing some inconsistencies in my tests. Maybe you'll have better luck on a G5.

Quote:

Anyway, here I sit with a Nattress Guide to capturing 24p in front of me- it's bloody 16 pages long- and can't quite bring myself to the hours of work ahead needed to capture all that I've shot.

Was Graham's method actually working for you? He didn't even talk about audio in his method - which is a big hurdle right now. The nice thing about HDVxDV is that the audio stays in sync and you don't have to think about it.

Jipsi Kinnear November 22nd, 2005 05:21 PM

Is that Scott Harper from Van Groovy? (Vancouver)

Scott Harper November 23rd, 2005 12:21 AM

The one and only! Who's You's?

Chris Hurd November 23rd, 2005 12:24 AM

I just love reunions!

Scott Harper November 23rd, 2005 12:28 AM

Was Graham's method actually working for you? He didn't even talk about audio in his method - which is a big hurdle right now. The nice thing about HDVxDV is that the audio stays in sync and you don't have to think about it.[/QUOTE]

Graham? Sorry I don't know who you mean.

Tim Dashwood November 23rd, 2005 08:58 AM

Quote:

Graham? Sorry I don't know who you mean.

Graham Nattress

Barry Green November 23rd, 2005 01:21 PM

Graeme Nattress... ;)

Tim Dashwood November 23rd, 2005 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green
Graeme Nattress... ;)

My Bad... and just a little embarrassing since I will be meeting him in person for the first time tomorrow!

Barry Green November 23rd, 2005 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
My Bad... and just a little embarrassing since I will be meeting him in person for the first time tomorrow!

I had the pleasure of meeting him at NAB. A class act, absolutely brilliant, and a really nice guy.