Tape brands at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old November 25th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Tape brands

Seeking oppinions here:

What kinds of tapes are you guys using?
In the past I've been using mostly Sony tapes with my DSR-500 and when using Z1U but with the HD100 I am being told that it could be an issue because Sony tapes use 'wet' lubrication vs. JVC/Fuji and others using 'dry' lubrication.

Hence, the thinking here is: we all know not to switch tape brands back and forth, but if one uses Sony tapes with the camera from the get go and doesn't switch to other brands, would that cause any concern?

Of course, JVC reps will claim that that's bad but is it really?
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Trustee

Sony tapes should not be used in JVC or Panasonic gear. It will clog the video heads. Use JVC tapes in JVC gear. What you've heard about 'wet' tapes it true.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Wrangler

I've been Sony Reds with my camera from the get-go with only one dropout.

I know there will be others that disagree, but I subscribe to the idea that as long as you stick to one lube formulation, you'll be alright for the most part. I'm also sure that some lubes are better than others, and prob dry is better.
Old November 25th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #4
Wrangler

The only Sony tape I would consider using (if it was the only tape I ever used from day 1) would be the "Reds" (DVM63HD.) It is designed for HDV with "50% fewer dropouts" (and the FX1/Z1 need the fewest dropouts possible) but they are also using a new lubricant that I have heard works OK on any brand camcorder. Very expensive though!

However, I have used a couple of the Panasonic MQ tapes (that is all I ever put in my DVX or XL2 without a single problem) and JVC "Pro" DVM60ME. I haven't seen any dropouts except for a slight 1 frame glitch sometimes when at edit points in the original tape. I don't think this has anything to do with the tape, but is a MPEG2 hiccup.

Officially, the recommended tape is JVC's M-DV63PROHD. It is probably your best bet.
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #5
Trustee

I'm using Sony Excellence (DVM60,the black and red ones) and a Sony cleaning tape as well.

Nate, your website looks great!
Tried to watch the clips on your reel, but they would play for about 10 seconds and freeze. But I like what I could see. Are all them done with the HD100 or there's DVX100 in there too. Some of them seem to be shot with the Mini35 too.
Very nice work.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier
Nate, your website looks great!
Tried to watch the clips on your reel, but they would play for about 10 seconds and freeze. But I like what I could see. Are all them done with the HD100 or there's DVX100 in there too. Some of them seem to be shot with the Mini35 too.
Very nice work.
Are you kidding? I couldn't have made all those videos in the 2 months I've had the camera!

All were shot on the DVX, except for Tsunami Bomb which was shot on the FX-1. None were done with the Mini35, only the one I just shot the other week which isn't up yet.
Old November 25th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #7
Major Player

I have been using the Panasonic MQ tapes without a single drop-out. It is a great product. I am of the school that calls to stick to one brand for your camera and you should not have any problem. That has been my experience in more than 100 tapes being used in different camera brands/models.

My 2 cents...

Luis
Luis Otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Panasonic now have their Advanced Master (AMQ) in miniDV format now too.
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #9
Major Player

I use a sony camera with Panasonic AY-DVM83PQ 83 Minutes Mini DV Professional Quality Video Cassette for over year without one dropout. I am a big fan of having more tape time that these tapes offer.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #10
Major Player

I read somewhere that for the HD100 it is not recommended to use the 80 minutes tape. I do not understand the rationale, but it might be related to the timecode. Or maybe because they do not consider anything above 63 minutes to be manufactured to a professional level it is required. Any comments?

Luis
Old November 27th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #11
Wrangler

Tape over 60 minutes is on a thinner poly base, and more susceptible to stretching.

Tape that stretches, even the most tiny amounts, will cause data read problems like dropouts, etc.

Last edited by Nate Weaver; November 27th, 2005 at 12:55 PM.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #12
Major Player

Regardless, I use these tapes all the time, and use them over again, and never had a drop out or problem. I will report back if anything bad happens. But so far I am sticking with this as brand and workflow.

I am neurotic about changing to different types of tape or brand names.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #13
Major Player

Interesting, thanks for all the responses.

Now, here is another thought: if Sony's long GOP is more prone to dropouts and while the tape transport of Sony cameras (Z1U) and others (incl. HD100) must be somewhat similar, why would Sony use technology that others don't endorse - wet lubrication? We have used SONY Digital Master PHDVM-63DM tapes in Z1U without problems, in punishing environments, including this year's Burning Man in Nevada desert.

Can someone actually explain the difference between 'dry' and 'wet' lubrication?
Old November 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Weaver
Tape over 60 minutes is on a thinner poly base, and more susceptible to stretching.

Tape that stretches, even the most tiny amounts, will cause data read problems like dropouts, etc.
Nate,

Thanks for remind me abouth the reason why those long tape are not recommended nor considered profesional grade.

Luis
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen L. Noe
Sony tapes should not be used in JVC or Panasonic gear. It will clog the video heads. Use JVC tapes in JVC gear. What you've heard about 'wet' tapes it true.
Oops I've used Sony tapes (just one tape) so far? Can I switch to JVC now, or will it ruin the Camcorder? I guess it won't matter once I use the harddrive.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems