DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Tripod mounting? Any recommendations (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/55599-tripod-mounting-any-recommendations.html)

John Mitchell December 6th, 2005 01:47 AM

Tripod mounting? Any recommendations

I'm currently using a Miller DS-20 fluid head with the JVC HD101E and I've found that the stock quick release plate attached to the balance plate is inadequate (1 1/4 " thread with such a long camera is providing just too much movement independent of the tripod head).

The fluid head is more than adequate for the weight of the camera - the problem seems to be the lack of securing options ot the balance plate on the camera.

Short of buying the V-mount kit I'm just wondering if others have found a better way?

Tim Dashwood December 6th, 2005 09:49 AM

I know of no better way.
The JVC quick-release plate (KA-551U) with V-mount adapter is worth its weight in gold! (Well maybe not, but you know what I mean.) I can't imagine trying to shoot anything with the HD100 without it.
It's too bad it's not included as a bundled item with the camera.

John Mitchell December 6th, 2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
I know of no better way.
The JVC quick-release plate (KA-551U) with V-mount adapter is worth its weight in gold! (Well maybe not, but you know what I mean.) I can't imagine trying to shoot anything with the HD100 without it.
It's too bad it's not included as a bundled item with the camera.

Thanks Tim - looks like it's time to fork out some more cash....

Craig Donaldson December 6th, 2005 02:30 PM

John,
I know where your'e coming from.... had the same issues and wasnt prepared to fork out hundreds for a betacam style base plate....
So, as well as using the pissy little 1/4 inch thread there are other smaller threads on the camera bottom too. I got my wedge plate from my miller 50 head, measured it up and drilled 2 new holes to give it extra support. They need to be counter sunk so the wedge plate sits back in flush. I then took the screws from another existing betacam wedge. Now have 3 anchor points.
Problem solved. Solid as a rock- just like a bought one!

I did mess up the measurement once ever so slightly, but luckily got two chances at it by turning the wedge around.........

John Mitchell December 6th, 2005 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
John,
I know where your'e coming from.... had the same issues and wasnt prepared to fork out hundreds for a betacam style base plate....
So, as well as using the pissy little 1/4 inch thread there are other smaller threads on the camera bottom too. I got my wedge plate from my miller 50 head, measured it up and drilled 2 new holes to give it extra support. They need to be counter sunk so the wedge plate sits back in flush. I then took the screws from another existing betacam wedge. Now have 3 anchor points.
Problem solved. Solid as a rock- just like a bought one!

I did mess up the measurement once ever so slightly, but luckily got two chances at it by turning the wedge around.........

Yeah I noticed those other two holes in the balance plate. I just wasn't game to start drilling through my wedge, especially when they seemed to correspond with the existing locating groove in the wedge plate. I have Greg Thomson over at Miller looking into it for me. I may yet try your solution, although I did find an online supplier inthe US selling the adapter for $US175, but I'm a little sus as it seems too cheap.

PS Do you have any problems with you wedge digging into your shoulder using this method when you release it from the tripod? Obviously you can't take the plate off the camera in a hurry.

Brian Duke December 6th, 2005 08:36 PM

I am using a GITZO G 1570 M Series 5 3 Way Tripod Head. Works like a charm. Pan and tild 3-way =) But I carry a lot of weight with my Mini35 and AB battery.

Craig Donaldson December 6th, 2005 11:55 PM

No, the wedge doesnt dig into my shoulder. Slide the shoulder pad back as far as it will go and leave it there. Seems to be the best position for it anyway.

John Mitchell December 7th, 2005 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Donaldson
No, the wedge doesnt dig into my shoulder. Slide the shoulder pad back as far as it will go and leave it there. Seems to be the best position for it anyway.

Thanks Craig

John Grant December 7th, 2005 09:06 AM

I need recommendations for tripods w/XL-2

What is the consensus for fluid head tripods for use w/ a XL-2? There is such an abundance of tripods in the 500-600 dollar range that ad descriptions do not help. Personnal experiance anecdotes are much more helpful to me than trying to decipher commercial ads from vendors. Hopefully, or necessarily, a DV info sponsored vendor will carry said tripod. What are some of the great tripods with "cine" type smooth movement and "bullet proof" duribility that other XL users own and love. Just changed to XL-2 and need to outfit entire stock camera with extra's. Throw the new guy a bone, John Grant

Jiri Bakala December 7th, 2005 09:17 AM

John,
no matter what people say, you won't find a good tripod with what you call "cine" motion in $500-600 price range. What you are looking for is a true fluid head. Manfrotto (Bogen) heads, for example, have friction mechanism and they are not continuously smooth.

Also, what you should look for is a head that has the right load specifications, (i.e. 10-15 lb, etc.). ALWAYS get a head that has enough 'headroom' in that category because even when you add some accessories to your camera you don't want to be near the top of the head's load ability.

As for the legs, there are many choices and they are not as critical. Once you select you head, you will find matching legs easily.

Realistically you are going to spend at least $1300-1500 for a tripod system that you will be ultimately happy with.

Some suggestions:
Sachtler 6SB
Miller DS10, DS20

John Grant December 7th, 2005 10:51 AM

Thanks Jiri

I appreciate your advice. I figured I would have to up my budget after looking into the quality of 600 dollar tripods, and your response gives me the important specs. to consider. Thanks, John

John Mitchell December 7th, 2005 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Grant
I appreciate your advice. I figured I would have to up my budget after looking into the quality of 600 dollar tripods, and your response gives me the important specs. to consider. Thanks, John

John you might try posting in the Canon section - the JVC is really a different beastie (longer, different centr of gravity, probably heavier). There are some XL2 owners here, but you'll find a lot more over there.