Anybody game to try exporting 24P using FCP 5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 7th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #1
HDV Cinema

Anybody game to try exporting 24P using FCP 5?

I'm in the process of leaving for Asia and am temporarily without a GY-HD100.

As we know, we can edit in FCP 5 with 24P AIC and 24P DVCPRO HD in 23.98fps AIC and 23.98fps DVCPRO HD Sequences. The 24P is captured and exported by HDVxDV.

But what about Export?

To export 23.98fps DVCPRO HD or 23.98fps AIC, create a 720p60 Preset by changing the 720p30 HDV Preset’s timebase to 59.94.

During export, 2:3 pulldown is automatically added.

You can clearly see the AABBB cadence as an HDV movie is viewed with QT Player.

The 720p59.94 HDV can be recorded to tape using the Print-to-Video command. The Automatic Record Start option does not work. You need to click OK.

Without an HD100 -- I'm using an HD10 -- which behaves as it should. Recording starts and a "Can't decode ..." message appears until the recording auto-stops.

Yet nothing can be pulled from the tape -- which may be the HD10 or the recording, or both. The fact, HDVxHD can't open the movie makes me think the file is screwed-up. Yet the QT play is in perfect sync!

Anybody with an HD100 game to try exporting 24P?
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Steve.

So you want to have a "Print to tape" at 24P, you are not interested in exporting to a QT file on disk. Correct?

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #3
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Hi Steve.

So you want to have a "Print to tape" at 24P, you are not interested in exporting to a QT file on disk. Correct?

--
Paolo
I've made a QT HDV.m2t movie that plays fine in the QT Player. You can see the AABBB cadence and the timebase is 59.94fps. But this file can't be opened by HDVxDV -- so something about the file is wrong.

I've also tried doing a Print to Tape and everything works perfectly. Except the recorded tape has no video. Which also indicates that whatever's written to tape is wrong.

I suspect that simply changing the 720p30 timebase to 59.94 violates something.

By the way, I copied the 24P video from a 23.98fps Sequence and pasted it into the 72060 Sequence.
Old December 8th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #4
Wrangler

But the HD10 doesn't do 720P60. I'll try this on the HD100 as soon as I get a chance.

BTW, I captured 720P60 live uncompressed 10-bit into the Decklink Multibridge on a decklink HD and it worked well. I then switched into 720P24 mode and captured 720P60 again. It is in fact 48P, with 48 frames embedded in 60 in a 4:1 pulldown pattern. Very cool.
Of course no firewire control or TC. I really need to get my hands on a deck to try this out.
Old December 8th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #5
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
But the HD10 doesn't do 720P60.
On a seperate thread I posted that the HD1/HD10 FireWire IN/OUT does carry 720p60 with 24P.

It plays 24P from a tape recorded on the HD100. Capture with HDVxDV.

I used DVHScap to record 24P and HDVxDV to capture 24P back.

So our old equipment works fine.

I think the block to writing 24P to HDV to tape is simply that although you can get 2:3 added to a 23.98 Sequence by setting either an AIC or HDV export codec timebase to 59.94 -- this doesn't really create 720p60.

In short, we need a export function capable of 720p60.

Ironically, I suspect the software package I wrote 2 years ago will do the job. But, I don't have time to dig it out.

We need HDVxDV to add an export function or wait for Apple.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems