Capturing uncompressed HD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 14th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #16
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Victorovich
With XenaHD you can capture also to CFHD.
http://www.cineform.com/products/ProspectHD.htm
Very interesting Serge - when I emailed them, Gerry said they weren't supporting compressed codecs yet on the Xena, but they definitely had plans to. That was only 2 days ago.

So is that hardware support on the XenaHD or are you relying onthe processor converting the uncompressed AVI to ProspectHD "on the fly"?
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #17
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Prospect HD does all the compression in software, in real-time, no hardware acceleration is required on the Xena card.
Old December 14th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #18
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman
Prospect HD does all the compression in software, in real-time, no hardware acceleration is required on the Xena card.
Thanks David - what kind of processing power / memory do you need to achieve this (with a safety margin)?

Does ProspectHD take any advantage of your graphics card ie is the graphics card important?
Old December 14th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #19
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Graphics card is not very important, any recent card will work fine. The system specs for Prospect HD are listing here : http://www.cineform.com/products/ProspectHDConfig.htm , but generally a dual proc Opteron system with 2GB is fine. It all depends I what you want to do.
Old December 14th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #20
Trustee

What kind of spec's needed if you were to capture with AspectHD? Same?
Old December 14th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
No, the component signal is a full 1280x720 4:2:2 sampled at 10-bit, plenty of chroma resolution to pull a great key.
That is truly excellent information. It seems like such an obvious marketing point, I can't figure out why JVC doesn't mention it on their site.

Quote:
See indiefilmlive.blogspot.com for discussion regarding an effect heavy feature that is using the HD100.
And this is a great link. I've just bought an HD-100, so I've VERY interested in seeing just how far it can be pushed. It looks like these guys are already doing it. Cheers.
Alex Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 12:43 AM   #22
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
No, Aspect HD can get away with much cheaper PCs (although fast ones are still nice.) We say the minmum PC is around 2.8 P4, yet we have customers using 1.7GHz P-M laptops and still getting real-time with Aspect HD.
Old December 15th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Hodson
Quote:
No, Aspect HD can get away with much cheaper PCs (although fast ones are still nice.) We say the minmum PC is around 2.8 P4, yet we have customers using 1.7GHz P-M laptops and still getting real-time with Aspect HD.
David, you talking about real-time transcodingfrom mpeg2/ts to Aspect HD through firewire on 1.7GHz P-M laptop or capture through component(JVC) or HDSDI (Canon)? What is device with component/hdsdi for laptop exist?
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #24
Contributor

Quote:
Graphics card is not very important, any recent card will work fine. The system specs for Prospect HD are listing here : http://www.cineform.com/products/ProspectHDConfig.htm , but generally a dual proc Opteron system with 2GB is fine. It all depends I what you want to do.
Phew - that's not going to work for me - I want to build something lightweight and portable. Hardware support on a card like XenaHD would make it viable.
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #25
CTO, CineForm Inc.

John,

As the XenaHD card or Xena HS requires PCI-X you will not be able to build anything truely portable, as these cards require a work-station class motherboard. The soon to be available Xena LHe will work on PCI-e bus, so that will allow desktop class PCs to be used (and maybe shuttle class), when that card is out we may change our system requirements, although you will still need the fastest Dual Core CPU for real-time compression 10bit compression at 60p (note: if you only intend 10-bit at 720p24 then most P4 class CPU can do it.)
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #26
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge Victorovich
David, you talking about real-time transcodingfrom mpeg2/ts to Aspect HD through firewire on 1.7GHz P-M laptop or capture through component(JVC) or HDSDI (Canon)? What is device with component/hdsdi for laptop exist?
No, I was talking real-time playback on a laptop. For that low-end laptop you would still have transcoding delays, although for 720p24 it will be surprizingly fast.

Fortunately a component/HD-SDI input to a laptop doens't exist yet. When it does, CineForm is will be able to do some amazing RT captures. So please keep an eye out for the hardware that can do this.
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #27
Trustee

Hi David. Yes I was asking about using AspectHD in the same vein as ProspectHD was being discussed. Component/SDI capture. So what are the specs needed for say Xena LHe capture to AspectHD. I would be quite happy capturing 8bit 4:2:2 (AspectHD) vs. the 10bit 4:2:2 (ProspectHD) for the time being. Being I own ApectHD and don't plan on a dual Opteron anytime soon, what do I need?
What would it take 480p60 from my HD10 vs. 720p60 HD100 (future cam)?
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:32 AM   #28
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Aspect HD doesn't currently support live capture from anything but FireWire. Capture from a Xena card is Prospect HD feature.
Old December 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #29
Trustee

Wanna fix it ? ;>)
Old December 15th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #30
Contributor

Quote:
John,

As the XenaHD card or Xena HS requires PCI-X you will not be able to build anything truely portable, as these cards require a work-station class motherboard. The soon to be available Xena LHe will work on PCI-e bus, so that will allow desktop class PCs to be used (and maybe shuttle class), when that card is out we may change our system requirements, although you will still need the fastest Dual Core CPU for real-time compression 10bit compression at 60p (note: if you only intend 10-bit at 720p24 then most P4 class CPU can do it.)
There's already shuttle boards that support 2 PCI-e slots and the LHe is already advertised on AJA website - I didn't realise it hadn't been released yet.

My point was that seeking hardware support from a card like the Xena would negate the need for a really fast dual proc machine. Technically or commercially that may not be possible (I'm guessing they may support DVCProHD as they do this already for their Mac based Kona cards) but I thought it was a reasonable idea.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems