Does FCP5 work natively w/HD100U yet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Trustee

Does FCP5 work natively w/HD100U yet?

Hello everyone- I've been out of the HDV loop for awhile now and remember an issue with the new HD100U's HDV spec and FCP5 not being able to work with it or capture it- has this been resolved?
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #2
Tourist

The wait continues

I am still waiting for native support (via Apple or Avid). It seems the manufactures have delayed this. I hope this does not get put on the "backburner" due to the volume of the additional formats/ other cameras that are being sold. There is no point shooting HD footage (in any format)if you can not edit/post in the native format.
Stanley Krakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #3
Wrangler

You can get work done. It's just tougher at the moment.

I'm convinced Apple is waiting to roll out a lot more than just HD100 support in the next update. XLH-1 support, along with improved P2 import for the HVX I think is what's going to happen.
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #4
Wrangler

FCP5 supports log & capture of 720P30, but not 720P24 or 720P25.

There are native workarounds: Nate has shot 720P24 and digitized M.O.S. footage to the Apple Intermediate Codec from within FCP5 (that's how he posted the StaticX video) but there is no TC recorded. The results are the same using iMovie.

3rd party 720P24 solutions are of course Lumiere HD 1.6b2 or HDVxDV 1.24. The latter has a downloadable free trial on their website.

There are already lots of discussions on dvinfo regarding different aspects of editing 720P24 with FCP5 (and 4.5)
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php?searchid=226000
Tim Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #5
Tourist

workaround?

I do not think if I spend $7500.00+ HD Accessories (or more) that a "work around" is acceptable. Taking a Native HD signal and transcoding to a JPEG format(via a Codec) (=DV quality). You can not go from a Interframe to Intraframe editing and keep native resolution. Hope Avid or Apple supports this soon
Stanley Krakow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #6
Supports LPFM Radio

Great discussion so far. As for when will Apple support various updates to the HDV spec (such as 24fps) within FCP, perhaps they'll tie the announcement to a trade show such as Macworld Expo in the second week of January, or NAB in April. I can't see it taking any longer than that...

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems