Question for Tim D. on HDVxDV - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 17th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Tim, this seems more complicated than using Lumiere. I tried it, but there seems to be so many steps that has to be done. Maybe I am just not good at this =)
It isn't even close to being as complicated as Lumiere. It only looks like alot of steps in my post because I literally put every little minute step that would become intuitive after you did it the first time.

The actual steps are:
  1. Capture clips from HD100 via HDVxDV.
  2. Export clips to Quicktime using AIC codec
  3. Batch Conform the clips to 23.98 using Cinema Tools
  4. Drag clips into FCP and edit
Old December 17th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #17
Major Player

Hey, I fixed the audio problems. Just changing from 44kHz MPG to 48 kHz AIFF.

Hey I am able to edit using the original clips in 24p without a problem. Maybe I am doing it wrong. I actually like HDVXDC better since you can mark the clip and also preview before impoirting it. Do I HAVE To use 23.98? I have picked 24p each time without any problems, but I am not sure if I have any consequences as a result.

I hope FCP will make the capture available soon for the HD100U 24P HDV!!

thanks
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
I am able to edit using the original clips in 24p without a problem. Maybe I am doing it wrong. ... Do I HAVE To use 23.98? I have picked 24p each time without any problems, but I am not sure if I have any consequences as a result.
Using 24fps will work fine (so you can skip the Cinema Tools step and set your sequence to 24fps) but just realize that since NTSC video is 29.97fps, and 60P is actually 59.94fps, that 24P in a pulldown pattern of 2:3 is always 23.98 - even if you were to do a teleciné transfer of film to video.

So what does this mean to you? Nothing, until you are ready to output back to tape. You could maintain 24fps throughout your post process if you are going to blowup to 35mm film print and do your mix at 24fps. Otherwise, just keep in mind that when you create a DVD, the DVD player will play out at 23.98, therfore your film will be 0.1% longer, and play at 99.9% speed. Sync will be maintained.
Old December 17th, 2005, 04:36 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks Tim. Makes me feel better. When I am ready to g to DVD I will contatc the master again. I just need to get used to FCP5 and do some practicing.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #20
Tourist

HDVxDV timecode issues

I've also had good luck capturing with HDVxDV, it even takes in timecode - but when exporting to Quicktime, the timecode changes. It's not even in the ballpark. I am doing something wrong? If not, am I correct in assuming there is now no relation between what I digitized into HDVxDV and the exported Quicktime file? If the file were ever corrupted or a drive went bad, would there be no way to recreate that from the master tape? It seems like the Quicktime is now the new "master tape".

This isn't a dealbreaker. I've got the drive space to handle it; but it does seem like it eliminates any possibility of recreating the project from an edl in the future.

Thanks,

Brett
Brett Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Snyder
I've also had good luck capturing with HDVxDV, it even takes in timecode - but when exporting to Quicktime, the timecode changes. It's not even in the ballpark. I am doing something wrong? If not, am I correct in assuming there is now no relation between what I digitized into HDVxDV and the exported Quicktime file?
It seems this is a bug in 1.024. I hope they repair it soon. I have so many tapes ready to digitize!
At least they are trying to deal with this 24P timecode! None of the other 3rd party applications have bothered.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems