DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Downconverting edited 720p30 to PAL standard (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/56039-downconverting-edited-720p30-pal-standard.html)

Edwin Beeler December 14th, 2005 10:02 AM

Downconverting edited 720p30 to PAL standard

Hi all
I'm working since a few weeks with the JVC GY-HD101, in Europe, PAL-district. Importing clips from the camera to FCP 5 within the appropriate settings of 720p30, editing with the same sequence settings, seems to work: the movement are quite fluid, no "stuttered images". But I'm not successfull trying to downconvert the clips or edited sequence to PAL-conformed settings (Sequences, QuickTime-Export etc.): the sequences or clips are very "stuttered". I can't believe that this is only because of the difference of 5 frames from 30 to 25... I'm working with the FW-in-out-possibility of the camera, not with the component-out-interface (this would request a Decklink- or Kona-card.
Any help (downconverting 720p30 to PAL 16:9 anamorph in Postpro with FCP, Compressor, QT etc.) would be very appreciated.

Edwin
Lucerne, Switzerland

John Mitchell December 14th, 2005 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwin Beeler
Hi all
I'm working since a few weeks with the JVC GY-HD101, in Europe, PAL-district. Importing clips from the camera to FCP 5 within the appropriate settings of 720p30, editing with the same sequence settings, seems to work: the movement are quite fluid, no "stuttered images". But I'm not successfull trying to downconvert the clips or edited sequence to PAL-conformed settings (Sequences, QuickTime-Export etc.): the sequences or clips are very "stuttered". I can't believe that this is only because of the difference of 5 frames from 30 to 25... I'm working with the FW-in-out-possibility of the camera, not with the component-out-interface (this would request a Decklink- or Kona-card.
Any help (downconverting 720p30 to PAL 16:9 anamorph in Postpro with FCP, Compressor, QT etc.) would be very appreciated.

Edwin
Lucerne, Switzerland

Edwin - you will get a better result shooting in 25P - otherwise you have to "convert" you're 29.97 fps down to 25 and that always involves some kind of interpolation between frames. The better the software you use to do this the better the result, but if your target frame rate is 50i there is no advantage to shooting 30P. If you need to shoot in 720P30 for an NTSC country I can't help you on the Mac I'm afraid, except to say that AE would probably do a reasonable job using blended interpolation.

Edwin Beeler December 14th, 2005 04:30 PM

Downconverting edited 720p30 to PAL standard

Hi John
Thank you for your help. No I don't need NTSC, but in Final Cut Pro there is no support for 25p or 24p yet, and 25p is not an industrial standard. Somebody told me that it would be the best to work with 720p30 and then downconvert it to PAL-settings using compressor 2. But the stuttered movements, although a little better, are still there. Maybe the way is to shoot 25p and then log and capture with component out (with a Decklink or AJA/Kona-Card with component in) and HDV PB PAL or 1080i (camera PB-Setting)? But there is more stuttering with 25p instead of 30p... (even when I pan the camera in horizontal or vertical plane rather slowly). What could be the best software for Mac - I'm working with FCP 5...
Thank you.
Edwin

Tim Dashwood December 15th, 2005 08:43 AM

Graeme Nattress is the guy who could help you with this. He is a member here, so maybe he will notice this post.
His standards conversion plugin might work in your situation.
http://www.nattress.com/standardsConversion.htm

Have you tried just making a new PAL sequence and then dragging your 720P30 sequence into it?

Edwin Beeler December 15th, 2005 02:09 PM

Conversions

Hi Tim
Thank you for your response. I'm in contact with Graeme Nattress. He told me to use the try out version first. Dragging a 720p30 sequence into a PAL sequence unfortunately was not very successful - stuttered movements. Maybe the best way will be to shoot 720p25, play back the tape using the JVC GY-HD101's component out in PAL (menu settings) by using a Kona-Card with component-in (buying one...).
Thank you very, very much for your help, also in earlier threads (settings and other stuff).
Edwin

Tim Dashwood December 15th, 2005 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwin Beeler
Hi Tim
Thank you for your response. I'm in contact with Graeme Nattress. He told me to use the try out version first. Dragging a 720p30 sequence into a PAL sequence unfortunately was not very successful - stuttered movements. Maybe the best way will be to shoot 720p25, play back the tape using the JVC GY-HD101's component out in PAL (menu settings) by using a Kona-Card with component-in (buying one...).
Thank you very, very much for your help, also in earlier threads (settings and other stuff).
Edwin

Of course, if you are mastering in PAL, and don't want or need to archive in HD, then just shoot PAL 24P DV. Remember, the HD100 does everything the DVX100 or XL2 does.