Mattebox & Filters Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 14th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mattebox & Filters Question

Hi all, I have had my HD101 for a few months my (it is my first professional camera) and not knowing about filters I didn't purchase any at the time. Now I am armed with a bit more knowledge I now know I need to get some filters. My question is if I buy filters to go on the 16x lens which I think is 82mm is that right? I can't use them in a mattebox can I? (because a mattebox is 4x4 square arn't they?) So should I purchase any 82mm filters now or wait unitil I get a mattebox?
Sean Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Livingstone
Hi all, I have had my HD101 for a few months my (it is my first professional camera) and not knowing about filters I didn't purchase any at the time. Now I am armed with a bit more knowledge I now know I need to get some filters. My question is if I buy filters to go on the 16x lens which I think is 82mm is that right? I can't use them in a mattebox can I? (because a mattebox is 4x4 square arn't they?) So should I purchase any 82mm filters now or wait unitil I get a mattebox?
Hi Sean.

Yes, the lens uses 82mm filters. I got a polarizer (Tiffen) and a clear filter (just for protection) when I bought the camera. I believe these will always come in handy, regardless the use of a mattebox. I saw somebody mentioning the Formatt box, it seems a decent deal for this camera (~$500.00+ adapter). For what I see from their documentation the box connects to the lens via an 82mm adapter. That will allow you to use the 4x4 filters.

--
Paolo
Paolo Ciccone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:54 AM   #3
Wrangler

The only 82mm filter I would ever suggest is clear, 1A or UV if you are going to be in rugged conditions and need something to protect the front lens element.

Otherwise, go with a matte box and square filters. You can't beat the ease-of-use, quick changing of filters, and the ability to rotate some filters for effect.

If you can't afford glass 4x4 filters and matte box (a considerable investment,) then look into SLR style plastic filters. I've used my Cokin P-Series filters on a DVX100 numerous times. You can buy a kit with the filter holder and some starter filters at any camera store for under $40.
Old December 15th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

So what about UV Filters? can you get 4x4 or should you use 82mm filter? also does a UV filter change the picture in anyway?
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I was looking st purchasing a chrosziel mattbox with rod supports and I was just wondering if I would need the quick release adapter tripod plate as I no not have one?

Also anyone recommend some budget 4x4 filters brands to start my collection of.

cheers
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
I was looking st purchasing a chrosziel mattbox with rod supports and I was just wondering if I would need the quick release adapter tripod plate as I no not have one?

I have the Chrosziel 450 kit. You don't need the JVC QR setup with it. I attach my Bogen balance plate directly the the Chrosziel base without problem.
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thanks nate just what I needed to know, saved me some money
Old December 21st, 2005, 11:38 AM   #8
Major Player

cavision

Hi Sean,

I'm probably too late with this but I've been checking out CAVISION they seem to do a good product and I think (but could be wrong) that its a tad cheaper than crozial. Like to know what you think, as I'm considering going down this route myself in the New Year.

Regards Greg
Greg Corke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Corke
I'm probably too late with this but I've been checking out CAVISION they seem to do a good product and I think (but could be wrong) that its a tad cheaper than crozial. Like to know what you think, as I'm considering going down this route myself in the New Year.
Greg,

I have the Cavision 4x4 with rods and handles and I think it was well worth the money, however I'm not fond of their French Flag Eyebrow. I rented a clip on Crosziel for my second camera on the weekend, and I must say that the Crozsiel flag is just plain simple, easily adjustable and aluminum. Cavision's is plastic and essential has two positions which require loosening of the nut to position.
The disadvantage of a clip-on with the Fuji 16x lens is that if you make it too tight, the focus ring won't turn easily.
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Tim, thanks for the input I well check the cavision. So you would recommend the cavision over the Chrosziel?

Also is this the mattbox you are talking about?
http://www.cavision.com/matteboxes/4...4x4bellows.htm
Old December 21st, 2005, 04:48 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Tim, thanks for the input I well check the cavision. So you would recommend the cavision over the Chrosziel?

Also is this the mattbox you are talking about?
http://www.cavision.com/matteboxes/4...4x4bellows.htm
Yes that is my exact setup. Notice the funky clamp on the top of the french flag. That is my biggest complaint.

However, the bellows is really long, so in most cases (unless using the wide adapter) full extension of the bellows will eliminate unwanted flares.
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

do you ever find you need the side flaps? with the bellows being so long
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:43 PM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
do you ever find you need the side flaps? with the bellows being so long
The side flaps aren't something you can just throw on at a moment's notice, so you kinda have to decide if you are going to use them before you shoot.
I've never put them on, except to check their fit, and it took about 1 to 2 minutes each side because you need to unscrew 4 rods and then screw them back in place with the side flags.
If I didn't have a grip with flags ready to flag flares, then they might have a use, otherwise the french and side flags just add extra weight to the front.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:06 AM   #14
Regular Crew

With the bellow mattbox install on the camera are you still able to hold the lens control or does the support rods get in the way?

Also what makes the Follow focus unit so expensive? almost $2kAUD
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:38 AM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
With the bellow mattbox install on the camera are you still able to hold the lens control or does the support rods get in the way?
A little bit, but I use the handles when handheld and my 1st A.C. pulls focus.

Quote:
Also what makes the Follow focus unit so expensive? almost $2kAUD
Precision engineering. You can find cheaper solutions elsewhere.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems