DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   JVC GY-HD100 Handbook RELEASED (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/56150-jvc-gy-hd100-handbook-released.html)

Steve Mullen December 16th, 2005 03:31 AM

JVC GY-HD100 Handbook RELEASED

Hi from Malaysia!

Amazingly my GY-HD100 Handbook went live on December 15th as promised. I had to do the finishing touches from a CyberCafe, but folks are ordering and getting their email downloads.

Turned-out to be over 330-pages.

Shot some great HDV today at an Orangtang (sp) refuge today -- including tiny babies. Using my trusty HD1 which still works fine 2 years later.

Will be editing on a G4 iBook when I get to India.

Saw a great Sony HDTV demo in Manila that used a Bluray playing a Japanese very technical demo. Fascinating to see the difference between 601 and 709 colorspace.

Bye for now.

Go to my website for HANDBOOK info.

Greg Corke December 21st, 2005 02:19 AM

Hi Steve,

I mailed you yesterday regarding your book. This seems to be the thread I was looking for. However I can't seem to find info on your site. What an I doing wrong?

Many thanks Greg Corke

Greg Corke December 21st, 2005 02:22 AM

Sorry

HI Steve,
Sorry mate I've just found it. I was looking on the wrong site, duh.

Thanks again, Greg Corke.

Nick Hiltgen December 21st, 2005 08:48 AM

Steve, a little off topic but in pertaining to your post, the color space options always blow me away on these cameras. The F900 has 6 and each one of them produces a different significant look, Finally after tweaking and tweaking I've switched all of ours over to 709 but I'm curious as to whether you have an opinion to which is better. I realize this is off topic so feel free to e-mail me if you have the time.

Brian Duke December 21st, 2005 03:39 PM

Steve,

What does your manual have that the regular manual doesn't? Obviously its longer and more extensive, but are there anything that really makes a difference. Being a proud owner of a HD100U I want to get as much information as possible without duplicating myself.

Do you cover 24p in Final Cut Pro, set ups etc? I checked the website but didn;'t see anything about that.

Shannon Rawls December 21st, 2005 03:48 PM

Brian,
You've never read a book by Steve Mullen??

Ahhh man....he's amazing! I haven't read the HD100 manual yet, but I GUARANTEE YOU that it is CHOCK FULL of interesting tips, tricks, knowledge and know-how that you'll never find anywhere else. Just like his other publications. Also, his stuff is easy to read. I guess it's the way he articulates things.

As a new HD100 owner, I highly recommend his book.

- ShannonRawls.com

Steve Mullen December 22nd, 2005 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Steve, a little off topic but in pertaining to your post, the color space options always blow me away on these cameras. The F900 has 6 and each one of them produces a different significant look, Finally after tweaking and tweaking I've switched all of ours over to 709 but I'm curious as to whether you have an opinion to which is better. I realize this is off topic so feel free to e-mail me if you have the time.

At first glance in the Sony demo you could see little difference on some scenes. Then you noticed that a red wall had a slight dark red shadow in 709 while there was no shadow in 601.

On the other hand -- a red rose was dramatically different in 709! A half-dozen new pinks emerged from one pink.

Be aware that most LCD can only display about 75% of NTSC. The new Sony Bravia uses a new backlight and get nearly all the NTSC spectrum. It's the best LCD I've ever seen and the 23-inch is perfect for editing. There is a 13-inch also.

Steve Mullen December 22nd, 2005 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
As a new HD100 owner, ...
- ShannonRawls.com

Thank you! And I'm glad you are enjoying your new HD100.

Greg Corke December 22nd, 2005 09:00 PM

I'll 2nd that

totally agree Shanon, you can never have too much of the old knowledge, and Steves book is packed with it.

And to answer Brians question, about 250 pages for starters. okay some bits might duplicate stuff you already have but its exstensive, the guy has a phD for Gods sake (lol).

happy reading friends Greg C.

Shannon Rawls December 22nd, 2005 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Thank you! And I'm glad you are enjoying your new HD100.

Ummmm, I said that wrong. LOL

As for HIM BEING A NEW HD100 OWNER......I'm sure he would enjoy the book.

As for ME, I am glad to be a Z1U, XL-H1, soon-to-be HVX-200 owner. *smile*

720 doesn't cut it for me. 1080 all the way.

- ShannonRawls.com

Scott Harper December 27th, 2005 06:14 PM

I personally didn't get much out of it after the first read. I'm going to have to read this one over and over. For me it's way too technical. I've obviously got a lot to learn in a hurry. I was hoping for a lot more on the "how to get the most out of this camera" section. It's obvious Steve knows his stuff, but he shouldn't assume we all know as much as him. In his defense, he did say on a preveous post that it WOULDN'T be a dummies approach- and he sure was right.

Brian Duke December 27th, 2005 07:30 PM

I also downloaded it, and I personally think there should be more "tips" on how to shoot and get different looks. In Filmlook there is only one page. Should be more since majority of people buy this for 24p film look. Just my two cents

Steve Mullen December 28th, 2005 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
I also downloaded it, and I personally think there should be more "tips" on how to shoot and get different looks. In Filmlook there is only one page. Should be more since majority of people buy this for 24p film look. Just my two cents

The entire contents of Chapter 7 -- GY-HD100 Image Control Options (about 25 pages) covers the controls you use to create the look YOU want. Once you understand the camcorder's controls, you use them to duplicate "looks" (e.g., DVX100, FX1, or a certain emulsion or a look you've seen) or create your own look.

Either way requires you to do a lot of experimentation with a very accurate monitor. And, in some cases you really need to be in the situation in order to have the scene upon which to work your magic.

If you want to start with some "ready to use" presets -- Tim and Berry have published quite a few. They look great.

Lastly, I'll admit that I feel a bit more easy with experimenting in post. For this reason, I devote a lot of attention to the issues involved with obtaining a very high quality source tape.

I expect we'll all know a lot more about post manipulation of HDV at NAB when we see how FCP and Avid support 24p (intermediate/native?). And, when we have more experience with the AspectHD intermediate codec and 24p HD100 video.

If the first compression robs 720p HDV of the ability to be modified extensively in post -- then we will all have to devote more resources to creating "in camera looks." If we learn we can do most of our work in post, then attention will be focused in that direction.

I expect next summer when Avid, Apple, and Adobe deliver what they announce at NAB, I'll produce a second edition -- with more "tips." Also by then, JVC may have a new low-cost HDV camcorder that hopefully will offer true 24p.

Thank you for your feedback!

Ram Ganesh May 5th, 2006 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen

I expect next summer when Avid, Apple, and Adobe deliver what they announce at NAB, I'll produce a second edition -- with more "tips." Also by then, JVC may have a new low-cost HDV camcorder that hopefully will offer true 24p.

Thank you for your feedback!

Are u still planning for a second edition?

Is this (http://www.allbookstores.com/book/compare/0782150314) the same as the ebook?

Steve Mullen May 5th, 2006 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ram Ganesh
Are u still planning for a second edition?

I had assumed we would have these products after NAB. But, JVC will not deliver its new camcorders until fall. So my next book will have to wait until fall.

But the wait will allow Blu-ray hardware and software to be fully available. And, maybe Avid will get it's 24p support released by then. :)

Amazingly, the only thing in the current book that will change between now and then is Apple's addition of 24p Presets to FCP. Which means my "24p work arounds" will not have to be followed any more.