Is it just me, or does this camera seem to have problems? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Closed Thread

Old December 20th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #16
Major Player

thanks

hi Mike,

Can't see a 'new thread' tab, I'll keep looking, thanks anyway mate.

Greg
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #17
Wrangler

Greg: welcome to DVinfo! Sorry you're having problems. There might be a problem with your user permissions. Please try the following and let me know what happens; it should help diagnose the problem.

1. Open a new browser window and go to this link: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/

2. Scroll down to the forum of your choice and click the link. For example, the HD-100 forum is here: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=98

3. DO NOT click on anything else yet. At this point do you see a "new thread" button at the top left on the screen?

4. If not, then scroll down to the very bottom of the page to the box that says "posting rules." Mine says the following (yours might be slightly different, but only the first two items are important:

--------------------------------
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts
--------------------------------

5. Let me know what this says on your screen. If there's a problem I'll have someone take care of it for you.
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:07 PM   #18
Major Player

Sorry Mike

Sorry Mike,

It seems to have appeared from somewhere, maybe it was that guy behind the curtain, who knows?

Thanks again, Greg
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #19
Regular Crew

What?!?!?!?!?!

shannon....i don't see how "Asians" are relevant in your opinion about the camera....i don't think race and "race" issues have anything to do with a camcorder
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dessel
No it's not perfect, but given the current HDV offerings, the JVC provides the best balance of features, usability, business friendliness, and value.

Sony Z1 - Compression issues, no 24P

Canon - Pricey, horrible front heavy ergonomics, no deck, no 24P.

Panasonic P2 - Very Pricey, limited recording time, workflow-archival issues, and at the end of a shoot what do you hand your client, your P2 card? When do you get it back? And what if you need it for another job the next day?

JVC - Fantasic film-like image quality, record hours of material with ease, easy to archive, business friendly (just give your client the tape), Priced right, 24P, Inexpensive deck with great down-convert options.
David 24f is, in essence, 24p. It's fine for film transfer and looks just as good as 24p. It's a non-issue with those in the know. Check out the threads existing on this matter. Plus you state "cons" with the JVC that exist with the Canon and Panasonic as well.
These are all very good cameras for the indie filmmaker and videoist.
Instead of bashing on each others equipment, maybe we should all express
how grateful we are to have this technology at this time in our lives.
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abel Vang
shannon....i don't see how "Asians" are relevant in your opinion about the camera....i don't think race and "race" issues have anything to do with a camcorder

Well put, Able. I agree.
Old December 20th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #22
Major Player

Oh here we go!

Abel & Eric Relax.....

If I offended you both, I whole-heartedly apologize. *seriously* And you know darn well I didn't use Asian in the context of cameras and nor was it said or meant in a derogatory fashion. I was illustrating a point when it came to my child hood Street Racing days...and you know it. No different then saying "These black hip-hop rappers were rockin' the mic at a concert in Hollywood". Could you 'picture' that in your head now that I said it? Go ahead...picture it........ well, yea...same thing. No harm, no foul.

Please don't play the race card...Are you concenred only because you know I'm not Asian myself? If I were Asian, would it have been OK? I didn't see either of you jumping down my throat when I was talking about Canon whipping Sony like a down south Black momma whipping her son for bringing home a bad report card in my other post. So why now? If you concerned about prejudices, then be concerned for all races, not just one. Fair?

Either way...I'm sorry guys. honestly. With all the racism I have endured in my 33 years I have come to respect & love ALL races, religions & creeds of every human being on this planet. Just ask anybody that knows me.
So are we friends again? c'mon gimme some Dap. That's right....gimme 5 on the black hand side! Show me sum love! Hollah atcha boy! *smile*

- Shannon "raising a black fist" Rawls
*smile*

P.S.
Just taking a guess here................but..........ummmm......do you guys own the JVC HD100? *raised eyebrow*
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:27 AM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Okay folks, let's spark one up and pass the smoke around so we can all be friends again.

(Shannon, my man, you've gotta... you know... quit shakin' the bushes so much).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:33 AM   #24
Major Player

Gotcha Chris.
Old December 21st, 2005, 12:44 AM   #25
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
Instead of bashing on each others equipment, maybe we should all express how grateful we are to have this technology at this time in our lives.
Eric,

You have summarized what DV-INFO is supposed to be about. We should all be grateful for the technology we have to work with right now. It's amazing how far we have come in just 20 years.

-gb-
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:18 AM   #26
Regular Crew

no harm done, shannon......everything is cool my brother
Old December 21st, 2005, 01:24 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
Oh here we go!

Abel & Eric Relax.....

If I offended you both, I whole-heartedly apologize. *seriously* And you know darn well I didn't use Asian in the context of cameras and nor was it said or meant in a derogatory fashion. I was illustrating a point when it came to my child hood Street Racing days...and you know it. No different then saying "These black hip-hop rappers were rockin' the mic at a concert in Hollywood". Could you 'picture' that in your head now that I said it? Go ahead...picture it........ well, yea...same thing. No harm, no foul.

Please don't play the race card...Are you concenred only because you know I'm not Asian myself? If I were Asian, would it have been OK? I didn't see either of you jumping down my throat when I was talking about Canon whipping Sony like a down south Black momma whipping her son for bringing home a bad report card in my other post. So why now? If you concerned about prejudices, then be concerned for all races, not just one. Fair?

Either way...I'm sorry guys. honestly. With all the racism I have endured in my 33 years I have come to respect & love ALL races, religions & creeds of every human being on this planet. Just ask anybody that knows me.
So are we friends again? c'mon gimme some Dap. That's right....gimme 5 on the black hand side! Show me sum love! Hollah atcha boy! *smile*

- Shannon "raising a black fist" Rawls
*smile*

P.S.
Just taking a guess here................but..........ummmm......do you guys own the JVC HD100? *raised eyebrow*

Shannon, no one is playing the "race card'. But words are powerful and we need to be careful how and what we say, especially in a board as diverse as this. I think the whole point is to call people, well, people.
We identify with race way too much, especially here in Los Angeles.
Here, people seem to love to preface mentioning an individual by stating their ethnicity or heritage as if this adds signifigance of some sort to the story or matter being discussed.
The truth is it shouldn't.
And yes, I suppose I got a bit hot as my wife is asian. So it did stir my emotions a bit. So I apologize for any offense I've caused you as well.
I'm not saying we need to join hands and sing kumbaya, I'm just saying
words can be powerful.
And to bring this bad boy somewhat back on topic...I own an XL2 but still think the JVC is very much a viable player.
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:07 AM   #28
Major Player

Hey guys, this is my first ever post in DVinfo and this thread seemed like a good place to start. I'm coming from the hardcore guerilla filmmaking background where 95% of the 7k budget that we scraped together is buying equipment and the other 5% is trying to keep everyone alive for three weeks! and when you want to achieve somethin like someone being blown away by a shotgun you actualy blow somethin away with a shotgun (sand bag with t shirt and bloodpack). I was fully aware of all the hd100's "problems" when i bought it and i just have to say i would have given my left whatever for the hd100 when a was shooting my feature last year. If you looked up indie filmmaker in the dictionary it would say "broke but happy" and after buying the hd100 i am definitely both!

cheers guys Andy.
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:31 AM   #29
Major Player

Nice to hear from you Andy.

Apparently if you lose one whatever the other one cranks up to compensate. Not entirely sure of the film making lesson in that ...

Rob
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:28 AM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

Okay, somewhere along the line in this thread we obviously dropped the ball. So, since everything went nuts but now seems to be hanging okay, I think it's time we fixed this puppy and moved on.

Nothing to see here, folks!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems