Vertical lines in DV Mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 20th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #1
New Boot

Vertical lines in DV Mode

Vertical Lines in Post

I see many rows of vertical lines in the output in DV Mode. I don't see these in HDV Mode, It seems to vary in intensity depending on lighting. It is as if neighboring pixels are slightly more or less sensitive to light or gain is lightly higher. Or perhaps this is a DV artifact, although I don't see it in my other dv cameras. Anybody know what this may be from. I am concerned I got a bad sensor. It is most noticeable on plain backgrounds like walls (0db Gain) increasing gain in post makes it look really bad. SSE, however is not as common for me. This problem becomes amplified when gain in post but it is visible an tape or even str8 outta the camera.

Sample Image http://home.cinci.rr.com/wile/24pDVWide.jpg
Closeup - Note The Couch is leather not striped fabric :-) http://home.cinci.rr.com/wile/closeup.jpg

Save to disk zoom in on the couch area on the right

Thanks

John

Here is a

Last edited by John Schlesinger; December 20th, 2005 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Misspelling
John Schlesinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Major Player

LOL. lord have mercy on this camera.
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #3
Major Player

John, I'm sorry...I don't mean to laugh. WELCOME to DVINFO.NET...the #1 source on the world wide web to find out ANY and EVERYTHING you need to know about Digital Video Production. We welcome you, and hope you come here for all your DV concerns.

As far as your problems with many rows of vertical lines in the output of your HD100 in dv mode. I am not sure. I have read elsewhere on another forum of someone having this very same problem. I encourage you to try another MiniDV cassette tape...one of the highest quality you can find, and see if you can duplicate the same error. Then.....test your camera using all available outputs (firewire, composite, svideo) on another hardware device such as another camera and/or a HD monitor and see if you have these same troubles there as well.

If you cannot resolve the issue....you may want to take your camera back. *smile* and have an authorized JVC service technician take a look at it.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlesinger
I see many rows of vertical lines in the output in DV Mode
Can you please post a screen capture of what you are seeing?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:39 PM   #5
New Boot

DV vertical lines - Images

I updated my post with samples. These are exaggerated because I made them brighter but they are still visible. Again they are not visible in HDV, just DV and as a follow-up does anyone else see this in their DV samples. Of course I have to say DV is lame compared to HDV IMHO. I think I am done with DV anyway. I can always post HDV to DV later. My opinion thus far is that This camera produces very good HD 24P for the price. The SSE on mine is bad when I push the gain up at all which I normally never do. For ENG, event photography I might worry a little about it.

Of course, I wonder if my camera is average, better, worse, who knows. If you live in the Cincinnati area let me know maybe we can compare.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Trustee

John, did you ever figure this problem out?

Do you actually see this in your final rendered output, or is it seen on the NLE preview window?

I've seen the same vertical lines in the past on the preview window on Vegas using a Sony camera.

I believe it might of been an effect of the preview mode.
When I exported the footage, it was fine.

Steve
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #7
New Boot

No solution yet Found Bigger Problems

I always thought the center of the image looked blurry and realized when I tried macro that the lens was damaged. There is a huge dirt speck inside the front lens element. Its been nearly two months since I bought it and with the holidays only recently gave it a good work out, but the seller is taking it back and replacing it. Still I am nervous and frankly wish they would just refund my money. I am sorry to say this but I think this camera's quality to me has been a dissapointment. Severe SSE is the number one issue, I can shoot around it but get real, this is a real first in technology haha, in fact I see it in dark flat areas at 0db gain. This dirt Speck inside the front lens element is huge and should never have made it out of QC if there is any. On a 200.00 camcorder I would expect more. BTW anybody want to buy a new HD100? This is typical for me though I am always on the bleading edge. The camera has good features to be sure but I give this camera a very short shelf life as a first of its kind and last. The "Cinerama Camera" I call it. On the more positive side. It can produce nice images as filmlike as I think is likely at 1/3 inch. Perhaps the next one will be better and less SSE, I won't hold my breath because I think JVC's reputation is taking a hit if it has the same problems. Stay posted. Maybe I had bad luck.

P.S. Oh and one more thing the CA on the Fujinon is not good. Strike three. (2 of which are from the lens)

Last edited by John Schlesinger; January 10th, 2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
LOL. lord have mercy on this camera.
Shannon, would you like people to go down to the XL-H1 forum and make fun of your toy? I sure have a lot to criticize it about.
So please, if you can't contribute without the silly jokes, stay out.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schlesinger
I always thought the center of the image looked blurry and realized when I tried macro that the lens was damaged. There is a huge dirt speck inside the front lens element.
Could you post a picture showing the damage? I would like to see how it looks like and what could it be.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:32 PM   #10
New Boot

Dirt - IN - The lens

Sorry it is already packaged to go back. The Dirt is IN the lens. Apparently their was contamination in manufacturing and it just Flopped down right smack in the middle and no I did not try to dislodge it though impact or static discharge methods etc.
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #11
Trustee

Thanks. Good luck on your swapping.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems