Nikon adapter for HD100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 18th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Feeley
Has anyone here bough this adapter?
Can you tell me if you like it and if it is giving that shallow focus and how your nikon lenses changed you rlight requirement?
Please
Thanks again for the fast responses.
A mount adapter like this WILL NOT give you any shallower depth of field.

For example, mounting the stock Nikon D70 18-70mm lens to the HD100 will give you the exact same DOF characteristics as using the stock HD100 lens in the 18-70mm range. Focal length is Focal length no matter what mount is attached to the back of the lens.

As for light requirements, if your Nikon lens opens to F1.4, then you will have the same freedoms to light the way you would with the HD100 stock lens. The Nikon D70 stock lens I mentioned before only opens to F3.5 on the wide end, so that would be the best you could get.
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Of course through a sponsor... but I thought once someone got the JVC wide angle for around $8 to $9 grand... thought it was you Tim...

If so can you let me know which sponsor you purchased it from... looking into different things...
Gary McClurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 02:54 PM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McClurg
Of course through a sponsor... but I thought once someone got the JVC wide angle for around $8 to $9 grand... thought it was you Tim...

If so can you let me know which sponsor you purchased it from... looking into different things...
You must be talking about the Th13x3.5 1/3" zoom lens. As far as I know this can be purchased through any JVC dealer, including some of our site sponsors. I have no idea what the going rate is in the U.S. I buy JVC stuff through my dealer here in Canadian dollars. The lens is around $12000 Canadian.
Old April 18th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
As for light requirements, if your Nikon lens opens to F1.4, then you will have the same freedoms to light the way you would with the HD100 stock lens.
Is the Fujinon straight 1.4 all the way to 88mm?

Also, I just got the Zoerk Nikon adapter. Didn't realize there was this option too. My initial test seems to indicate similar sharpness from my Nikons to the stock Fujinon... but I'll need a lot more testing. Other things I've noticed are different lenses act very differently in regards to ghosting and CA. The Bokeh and highlight handling seem pretty nice on the Nikon 85mm 1.8 I have.

I think the big advantage is if you want to slap on a 70-200 2.8 and go do wildlife. If you nail the exposure it appears to look good... but if you miss the exposure by a little then the results seems less forgiving than the Fujinon for some reason.

Also - the focus rings on my lenses seem to change the frame a little when I grab them... so you'd have to be really careful when pulling focus during a shot.

Possibly one toy too many for me as I don't do much wildlife stuff... but anyone who does will probably want one.
Joel Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:45 PM   #20
Inner Circle

does nikon use a proprietary mounting/thread? why can't and adaptor be made that would allow the use of non nikon lenses?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Has anyone here bough this adapter?
Can you tell me if you like it and if it is giving that shallow focus and how your nikon lenses changed you rlight requirement?
Please
Thanks again for the fast responses.
Hi Lawrence,

I own one. Not Les' adaptor but the one made by Zoerk in Germany. It's a great accessory, but may not be what you are looking for. As Barry and Tim have said above, the depth of field and field of view (and exposure, for that matter) are what you'd expect for the focal length and the chip size. The adaptor itself will not give you any improvement in shallow focus, except that it allows you to use longer focal length lenses which do give you shallow focus. Only problem is that unless you do a lot of Natural History shooting, as I do, you will be hard pressed to use such lenses in normal situations. If you have an HD100, set the stock lens at 88 and then imagine trying to shoot a whole scene with actors at a focal length greater then that. You'd need a cell phone to talk to them. So, the Nikon adaptor greatly extends your range, but you will be hard pressed to use it for any normal subject. Now for long lens and macro it is superb. I have no trouble filling the frame with a subject that is a few millimeters wide and tack sharp with a 55mm Micro-Nikkor. (Much better results than you would get with the Fujinon in macro mode or with a close-up diopter filter). A 300mm tele will take you for a ride up a squirrel's nostrel. Not for everybody, but I've got some great stuff with it. (Not of squirrel's nostrils, in case you were wondering.) I am having some issues with what I believe is internal reflection, however, so it is not a complete success. The widest Nikkor I have is a 20mm, which you could use for close-ups with people, but only for close-ups.

A note to those who are thinking of using Nikon primes as a relay lens for something like a Redrock Micro: None of my Nikkors is wide enough to cover a 35mm size frame at a reasonable distance.

In summary, this adaptor adds great versatility to the HD100, but is mostly for subjects that need whopping good magnification.
Andrew Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Lens adapter

Barry, Thanks for the site to Les, very interested in the adapter and telephoto. Will be visiting UK soon.

Rand
Rand Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #23
New Boot

Thank you everyone!

You all answered my questions. For my macro work I need the bosher type adapter and for cinematic DOF I need the M2. Now what is this about a 6-9 week wait on the M2???
Lawrence Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Now what is this about a 6-9 week wait on the M2???
I would guess that the make them to order.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems