Editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 25th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #1
Tourist

Editing

Hi,
I would really love to hear you experience with editing JVC HDV material. So far I only heard of people using FinalCut. Is any of you using Avid? So far I ran into problems using Avid. Their website states that Avid does not fully support JVC HDV tape and camera so you cannot perform batch loggin because of frame inaccuracy. Can anyone confirm this? If so, how come Final Cut can do this?

Amit
Amit Zinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Currently Avid and FinalCut do not natively support the 24 and 25p modes of the HD100U. The only NLEs that fully support the JVC camera without jumping through hoops are PC based. CineForm's Aspect HD and Prospect HD for Adobe Premiere Pro, Connect HD for Sony Vegas, Canopus Edius and I think ULead supports the JVC camera.
Old December 25th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Hello,

I offer this PDF which is the current situation with ProHD (2005)
Click here for PDF

I personally use Avid Liquid which supports 720p30 end to end including time code, EDL, match frame and dump to tape for the HD100 and the BR50 deck. It has been great so far. I, like everyone, am waiting for 24p support directly in the NLE without work arounds.

I really think that every major NLE will support ProHD (HDV1) either fully or with an intermediate codec by NAB '06. That's my speculation, but we'll see.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 09:40 PM   #4
New Boot

Stephen, What are some of the work arounds? I am trying to figure out what to do, as I have Avid 5.2, and about 30 hours of JVC stuff that I want to get to editing. Is there any way to do this on Avid, or do I need to drive to my friends house to use Premiere till they come out with support?
Peter Shindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #5
New Boot

Ulead Media Studio 8 Not Working Yet

As far as I can tell Ulead Media Studio 8 Does not yet fully Support 24P. The Support Site for it says they are working on it. In any case, I tried the Demo. I have tried every version of ulead so far and have yet to be satisfied. Although it is greatly improved over previous versions. Anyway, The Cineform/Premiere demo worked great and seems to be the only thing working that I have tried. Premiere Pro is also great.
John Schlesinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #6
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Zinman
Their website states that Avid does not fully support JVC HDV tape and camera so you cannot perform batch loggin because of frame inaccuracy. Can anyone confirm this? If so, how come Final Cut can do this? Amit
You didn't say if you need 24p or 30p editing?

Why do you need batch capture?

The answers to these questions determine whether Avid supports the JVC.

As far as I'm concerned, shooting 30p, the Avid supports the JVC fine. I would never shuttle HDV tape marking shots. I would simply capture the whole tape and let Scene Detect find my scenes. Then delete the ones I don't want.
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #7
New Boot

I am shooting 24p, and Avid can't get it any way I slice it. Is there a way, like how you have to get FCP to detect the 24p stuff, out there right now? or is using Premiere or Final Cut the best bet for now?
Peter Shindler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems