DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   ProHD acid test m2t's here (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/56867-prohd-acid-test-m2ts-here.html)

Stephen L. Noe December 26th, 2005 07:23 PM

ProHD acid test m2t's here

Hi guys and gals,

Here are some m2t's that will display the fantastic math JVC did with their HD-100 codec. These clips were shot in 720p30 using the PANMATCH scene file which is designed to match the Cinelike gamma of the DVX100a (a Dashwood recipe).

Daley Center Birds 1 (40MB)

Daley Center Birds 2 (27MB)

How about an SD shot? 480p60 (124MB)

PanMATCH scene file here

Take a look for yourself and you'll see massive motion and the codec handles it with ease.
Have fun amigos....

Chris Hurd December 26th, 2005 07:35 PM

Thanks again as usual, Stephen! Sure appreciate you sharing these with us.

Greg Corke December 27th, 2005 10:25 AM

nice shots

Hi Stephen,

Love those clips. I'm always amazed when I see the footage from this camera. What time of day did you shoot these? Also, when I download these clips what definition is it playing back on my lcd computer monitor. Only asking as the SD footage on first viewing does not look SD. However I have not shot any SD footage yet so don't really know what to expect. Although, the inability to recognise a great deal of difference could also be my lack of experience.

All the best, Greg C.

David Newman December 27th, 2005 11:34 AM

A very good example as fire is great for tripping up MPEG, yet these images look excellent.

Kenn Christenson December 27th, 2005 05:37 PM

The motion looks great, but the chromatic aberration is another matter. What was your f-stop set to?

I've had a chromatic aberration problem with the JVC GY-DV500 and a low end Canon lens. I found that anything below f2.8 gave me more pronounced C.A. problems.

Stephen L. Noe December 27th, 2005 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenn Christenson
The motion looks great, but the chromatic aberration is another matter. What was your f-stop set to?

I've had a chromatic aberration problem with the JVC GY-DV500 and a low end Canon lens. I found that anything below f2.8 gave me more pronounced C.A. problems.

It was ND2 around F2. I agree with what you've said. If you can keep the stock lens around F2.8 or above, the CA is much less apparent. But it is what it is, an $800 lens (with good resolution but bad CA). That aside, the m2t's and this thread are dedicated to the exceptional encoder JVC put in the HD-100.

We are all still waiting to see what the 13x lens brings to the table. Imagine that fabulous encoder coupled with a top quality lens. Rumblings I'm hearing are that the 13x lens is a bargain at 10K for it's quality. We'll see...

@Greg Corke-This was shot around 2 PM on a cloudy day. The images amaze me as well. You should try to pump them out to a D-ILA or 720p HDTV, you'd swear your were right there in Daley Plaza with me. The 480p60 file is HDV as well and is running at 60fps and it's a 720x480 file that displays 16:9. You are right, the quality is stunning SD.

@David Newman - I've never seen this good an encoder, have you? For the money?

Sean McHenry December 28th, 2005 10:54 AM

Something interesting I read the other day. I think I knew this some time ago but it fell out of my head...The HD-100 is using a GOP of 6 rather than the standard GOP of 15 per something I read somewhere officially sanctioned by JVC. Probably someplace in the manual. This is probably why the motion and imagery in general look so good.

Actually, as I recall, it was our JVC rep who mentioned the GOP being 6 rather than 15.

Oh, one more thing. I tested this yesterday. Avid Xpress Pro HD 5.2.1 will seemingly correctly import m2t files. We had a saved project I brought back in as finished m2t program files. Did a fast import and played OK in the timeline. Didn't actually edit with it but it did convert and import well.

Sean McHenry

David Newman December 28th, 2005 11:19 AM

Sean,

Contrary to what many people are thinking, the shorter 6 frame GOP is less efficient than a 15 frame GOP, therefore the quality is a slightly lower than the potential MPEG offers. On a efficiency scale 6 is much better than 1, and 15 is slighty better than 6. However the advantage of the shorter GOP is when something goes wrong, like a tape drop out, fewer frames are affected. In extreme noise and motion (way beyond what happens in typically 24p shoots) the short GOP also allows a speeder recovering from a bit-starved condition (which I have yet to get the HD100 into that state -- the encoder is good.) The 6 frame GOP does seem an excellent choice for the bit-rate and quality. The fact that these heavy motion sequences don't show MPEG artifacting, is another example of why 'B' and 'P' are nothing to be afraid of.

Scott Harper December 29th, 2005 07:28 PM

How Do I View These If I Run A Mac?

Brian Duke December 29th, 2005 10:18 PM

You should download VLC encoder for free. That will able you to watch m2t files.

Joe Carney December 30th, 2005 10:17 AM

Scott, he is right
go to http://www.videolan.org and download the
vlc player, not the older videolan program being kept around for
legacy apps. it also works as a streaming media server (sort of like iTunes on steroids).

Daniel Patton December 30th, 2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Harper

HOW DO I VIEW THESE IF I RUN A MAC?

Could he not just rename the extension from M2T to MPG? Thats what I have been doing (but on a PC) when I am not at my own computer.

Scott Harper December 30th, 2005 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Carney
Scott, he is right
go to http://www.videolan.org and download the
vlc player, not the older videolan program being kept around for
legacy apps. it also works as a streaming media server (sort of like iTunes on steroids).

OK. So I downloaded it and got an error message when trying to view it in the VLC. Am I stupid or what?

Greg Corke January 1st, 2006 04:35 AM

Mac or Pc?

Hi Scott,

You on Mac or Pc? I downloaded vlc onto my pc and changed the downloaded files to 'play with vlc' on the 'open with' menu when you right click on the file. Apologies if you've already tried this. As for Mac can't help, sorry.

Regards, Greg C.

Brian Duke January 1st, 2006 04:46 AM

If you are using a mac you need to be in the VLC application BEFORE you open the files. Then from the application go to menu and open new file. You can use Qucik File. Find the file and play.