DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   trusting non jvc tapes? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/57311-trusting-non-jvc-tapes.html)

Jemore Santos January 3rd, 2006 01:10 AM

trusting non jvc tapes?

I don't know if this belongs to the tape forum but this is specific to the HD100 and thats why I've put it in this forum, but just asking if you would personally put Sony branded HDV (ME DVM63) tapes in? You guys were talking about Dry versus Wet lubrication, but I have been looking for JVC Hi-def tapes but have only seen them once.

Wouldn't it be safer to stick to the sonys because they are readily accessible then trying with JVC and find yourself running out of these tapes and switching because you couldn't find the right ones?

What tapes are you guys using?

Diogo Athouguia January 3rd, 2006 07:29 AM

You can use Panasonic tapes, they work fine.

Albert Henson January 4th, 2006 04:08 PM

Whatever you do don't mix and match your panasonic and sony tapes in the hd100. My camera has been rendered unusable, until I can get the camera heads scrubbed and cleaned by a product engineer. The drop outs are unreal, and had I known how sensitive the camera heads would be to this I would not have purchased the camera in the first place. I have seen many drop outs in my day, but never to this degree. It's only been in the past year or so that I have tried to me more regimented in the tape stock that I use. Sony is always the most readily available, and they make good tape overall. I was told my my JVC dealer that the lubrication from Sony's tapes can cause the drop outs. But they are even puzzled by this given that the camera is still relatively new and still in it's infancy. I have mixed and match sony and panasonic tapes in my z1u and pd170, and it's never been an issue. Perhaps it's because they are sony camera's and the sweeper heads operate differently. Owners should be aware of the hd100's sensitivity to various tape stock. Play it safe and use JVC stock if at all possible, and no I am not a jvc rep looking for kickbacks.

Diogo Athouguia January 4th, 2006 05:34 PM

Thanks for the warning. I've been using JVC, Panasonic, Sony and TDK tapes... no problems so far. I'll try to stick to JVC tapes, but sometimes are my clients who provide me the tapes... and they don't care about my cameras heads! I'll have to ask them if they want their footage with or without drop outs!

Robert Castiglione January 4th, 2006 07:13 PM

I second what Albert says. I used one Sony HDV tape and it resulted in drop outs when I then used other tapes later. The Panasonic Masters series has been reliable. I stick to these. I just havent been seen the JVC tapes around otherwise I would have used those from the start.

Rob

Jemore Santos January 4th, 2006 07:23 PM

I'm using Sony HDV tapes should I just stick to them? Because They are the most readily available and Ive used them more than 7 times now?