When Will Fcp Support Hd100 Footage!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 4th, 2006, 02:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

When Will Fcp Support Hd100 Footage!?

Why do we have to go through this complex rigamarole, when is apple going to allow us to edit this footage? I'm not a video technician, I'm a creative type trying to do things indepedently, why should we need a degree in video tech in order to edit footage from this camera? When is apple going to give us a break? On January 9th, that's a rumor I heard, let it be true!!!
Bruce Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:40 AM   #2
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyers
Why do we have to go through this complex rigamarole, when is apple going to allow us to edit this footage?
Many of have been editing 24p with FCP for the last month without problems.

It's unfortunate that you did not find us and do your research HERE before getting in trouble.

1) there were posts here that Lumiere didn't work

2) there were posts here describing what did work

3) there were reviews of my book posted here with its multiple 24p solutions.

Depending on Apple for HDV support has proved to involve long waits. On the other hand, Apple has been very good at supporting DVCPRO. If you go to the HCX200 forum you'll find screams about there being no PC support!
So much so that that it seems many new buyers are switching to FCP.

I bought a PC precisely because Premiere with Aspect HD from CineForm was the earliest and best solution for HDV -- including 24p.

Perhaps it's too harsh, but as one poster said on the HVX200 Forum -- "why would anybody buy a camera and shoot without confirming there was an editing solution?"
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Meyers
Why do we have to go through this complex rigamarole, when is apple going to allow us to edit this footage? I'm not a video technician, I'm a creative type trying to do things indepedently, why should we need a degree in video tech in order to edit footage from this camera? When is apple going to give us a break? On January 9th, that's a rumor I heard, let it be true!!!
Bruce,

FCP5 does fully support the HD100's 720P30 mode. It will support 720P24 and 25 eventually, but I wouldn't hold my breath for January 9th. Yes, Steve Jobs happens to be doing a keynote speech at Macworld on the 10th, but I doubt a maintenance release of FCP is on the agenda. New Intel based Mac minis, iBooks and Powerbooks are probably going to steal the show. Traditionally Apple will release a maintenance update just before or during NAB to support new formats. I would expect late March for 720P24 support.

In the meantime, we have several active threads describing HD100 sync audio and M.O.S. solutions for FCP 4.5HD or v5. We also have the FCP5/HDV forum.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=104
Old January 4th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Wrangler

It looks like FCP6 is around the corner for NAB.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/finalcut6.html
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Major Player

The RED camera will be priced at $200K and FCE will be at 10K????? WOAH!
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #6
Wrangler

I think ThinkSecret quickly browsed the forums at DVXUser, saw somebody mention $200k, and decided the regurgitate that number. Jim Jannard has said that their shooting for a price MUCH lower than that.

ThinkSecret isn't exactly known for their investigative reporting.
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:37 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke
The RED camera will be priced at $200K and FCE will be at 10K????? WOAH!
The short form will probably be "FCX" for Extreme to avoid confusion with Final Cut Express.
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood
The short form will probably be "FCX" for Extreme to avoid confusion with Final Cut Express.
How about that $200K for the RED camera.. who on earth is going to buy that?
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Rental houses and commercial/music video production companies.
It's priced about the same as an ARRI 435 (I think) and it's better than 1 to 2 million for Dalsa, Arri or GV. The RED sounds amazing for the price.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=110
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #10
Inner Circle

What would a "Final Cut Extreme" have that Final Cut as a software program doesn't have already? I ask this as a query. Many of the high-end NLEs seem to be hardware contraptions that enable intricate real-time multi-track manipulations as opposed to FCP's software and off-the-shelf computer approach.

Back to the main topic...

Let's remember that HDV is a coherent format in name only. The various flavors and techniques employed the the three HDV producing companies are not an easy programming task for the third party companies that have to keep up with it. Clearly JVC's decision to employ 6 frame GOP and straight 24p recording is unlike anything else out there and Apple is having problems integrating it into FCP. I would like to see it quickly but not haphazardly. Did JVC keep the 24p technique under tight security before the camera's introduction like Apple likes to do with it's innovations?
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:15 PM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hohauser
Clearly JVC's decision to employ 6 frame GOP and straight 24p recording is unlike anything else out there and Apple is having problems integrating it into FCP.
Doing non-standard frame rates inside MPEG-2 encoding uses repeat flags...which the XLH-1 is also using. Since the base MPEG-2 decoders are a Quicktime function, I suspect both the Quicktime teams AND the FCP teams are having to work closely on this and an update has to fit both teams schedules.

Either way, it looks like they're taking their time, and that's fine as long as it works in the end. I'm sure there's super bright people working on it as fast as they can.

With the raft of FCP problems that came with FCP4 and the G5s, if they want to take a minute, I say let them have it.
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #12
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Nobody. But at 1/10 that price? A lot of people. And that's probably a more realistic price target, according to the "vibe" that Jim Jannard is giving off whenever the price subject comes up.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #13
Major Player

What can the RED camera do? 1080p? thats not even todays standard. But I heard resolution on this will be big. So is that the only reason why FC extreme will be out? to take on the REDs res capabilities??
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:20 AM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemore Santos
What can the RED camera do? 1080p? thats not even todays standard. But I heard resolution on this will be big. So is that the only reason why FC extreme will be out? to take on the REDs res capabilities??
FCX would be for digital intermediate work.

There's no way Apple would have an entire team of software developers working around a camera that doesn't exist yet, from a new company
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Yeah Nate, that had me puzzled that Apple would be ready for RED in April, but still not ready for some of the HD cameras that are out for the last few months. Something is fishy..
Brian Duke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems